Training Camp - 8/3 - 9:45am

The Wiz

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It's worth noting that when Edwards arrived, he made a point that Kromer in LA tried the OLmen at every position but C.  He played behind a very good RT in LA.  But, a lot of G played RT in college and are IOL in the league.

It will be "up to" Kromer to assess which of Edwards, Shell (who has started 72 games at RT in the league) or maybe Gouraige is 'next man up'.

Tough circumstance for Brown, though.  Back injuries in a big OLman are hard to return from and reach potential.

Can we agree on the point that if it's ambiguous that different people see it differently, it's not a cold hard facts and logic thing?

Hate to say it, but Brown injury right now could actually end up being an addition by subtraction situation.

• Agree 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

A drop and not a clean catch are not the same thing though.  People keep calling it a drop as if he literally dropped the ball.  And no disrespect to anyone, but most the people being hyper critical on that play don't understand the dynamics of difficulty in that catch.  Ball was on a rope 60 yards in the air, diving catch, and as rookie in his first playoff game with little play time prior to this.  Diggs has flat out dropped easy passes including TD's, yet is a top 5 WR.  But people harp on this one play, that yes would have been nice if he completed it, as if this one play defines the kids career forever.

It still is a "drop" on the stat sheet, but this was not like many drops Davis, McKenzie, Knox, etc had on way easier passes last year.  People need to stop over exaggerating and drilling so hard on this one play to condemn this kids entire future.  

Shakir may or may not make it in this league, but one thing for sure is that this one play isn't enough to figure that out.  

It’s a drop.  He should have caught it.  It wasn’t as egregious as some….. but as an nfl WR being paid to catch passes- shakir had to catch that pass.  

I agree one play means nothing.  I’m a fan of the kid.  I think his best attributes are gaining separation and RAC but had a quite a few of bad drops his last year in college

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The secondary sounds suffocating, not even mentioning the D-line that also seems really good.

If Kaiir Elam can play to his strengths and build on this practice, the potential of a secondary consisting of White, Elam, Johnson, Hyde and Poyer is absurd. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Enough of Dane Jackson at CB2. We already know what he is.  Play Elam there so he can grow and take over that role. 

I don't understand this. Elam picked off Mahomes in the end zone which NEVER happens.

His other INT was likely the play that won us the Dolphins playoff game.

I thought he matched up against Tyreek Hill very strongly on a few reps 

Elam having to pay his penance for sins unseen to us.  I don't get it either.

I'm starting to get worried about Spencer Brown's back problems. It reminds me of Terrell Troup, if I remember his name right. He was a second round pick at DT that never panned out because of back issues.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't disagree that one play shouldn't define him. 

I think people are more reacting to the combination of that play, along with some reported struggles he seems to be having in camp.

And I'm more reacting to the description in your previous post "he made the catch but on the impact the ball slightly moved and as he rolled after hitting the ground the tip of the ball touched the turf".  It seems pretty clear in the replay that he never made a clean catch with both hands on the ball - it was between his arms and his body

I get you on that, and yeah concerns off of camp are always fair.  The one thing I would add is that its early and some reports have been conflicting too.  

As far as the play goes, I don't think what you are saying isn't accurate, I was referencing the others who keep saying he dropped it as if it hit his hands and then dropped the ball.  I think it not being caught clean is a fair assessment of the play, I was just pointing out the degree of difficulty was also higher than people think on that play too and for a rookie in his first playoff game who had not played much.  

For me, I am not here to say he is going to be a stud for sure or anything like that, I am just more pushing back on those who want to condemn the kid off one play or the fact he was a 5th round pick.  He will have to earn his spot and reps, but I still think he has potential.  

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s a drop.  He should have caught it.  It wasn’t as egregious as some….. but as an nfl WR being paid to catch passes- shakir had to catch that pass.  

I agree one play means nothing.  I’m a fan of the kid.  I think his best attributes are gaining separation and RAC but had a quite a few of bad drops his last year in college

Dont get me wrong, its still a drop in the sense he didn't make the play.  Just mean people have over exaggerated this play a bit and used this play too much to define or condemn the kid.

He still has to prove himself no doubt, but I think there is still reason to see potential in him.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

OYEYO.png?trs=8a996c3ec038b4e137c8df61cc

this is a drop

No...No its not.  This is a photo of ball approaching a WR, it hasn't even reached his hands yet, so no this is not a photo of anyone dropping anything considering the ball hasn't even reached him yet.  

And he didn't let the ball go through his hands, he caught it but didn't secure it before the ball touched ground during the roll while securing it.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Wonder why he thinks Bernard? Didn't know  Bernard has been better than Spector/Klein. If a RB that has some size would knock him 5 yards back and run him over like a truck if he  meets Bernard up the middle.

Its based off of McD's comments.  He was asked why they didnt rotate Spector in.  He said they wanted to look closer at Bernard and Tdot.  I have not heard Klein doing anything and he seems to be meeting my expectation of vet on the PS.  Spector seems to have more juice than I expected but I will be surprised if he gets the MLB job.

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

If Dorian Williams is nothing more than a WLB then that pick becomes more of a head scratcher given Milano is signed through 2026.

Lot of time. Let the kid evolve a bit. He ultimately could be on the field based on injuries and his development. 

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Kincaid really should not even be blocking. That's what Knox and Gilliam/Morris/Sternberger are for

Open field blocking skill is a must have for all receivers. It is critical in establishing a dominant run game and screen game, particularly.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.