Unused jersey numbers

Dan Darragh

The Democrat & Chronicle published a list of the uniform numbers for the 90 man roster: 

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2023/07/24/buffalo-bills-roster-2023-training-camp/70441881007/

Here are the unused numbers.  Any known reasons why these were skipped (other than as marked)?

12 Kelly

32 (NOT retired)

34 Thurman

78 Bruce

95 (holding for Kyle Williams?)

Edited by Dan Darragh

27 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I mean, math.

numbers 0-99….

90 man roster….can you use every number?

I took it to mean why these specific numbers haven’t been used. No one is saying they should all be used.  Math. 

1 hour ago, Dan Darragh said:

Maybe they're avoiding 6 because they're bringing back Li'l Dirty?  Or maybe they just want the stink to wear off.

84 - Scott Chandler?

As for Roland Hooks - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XJNNLuwNMw

Even more impressive than that was Hooks having a 5 carry game for 70 yards and 4 TD’s and 3 catches for 60 yards against the Bengals in 1979.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197909090buf.htm

2 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

The Democrat & Chronicle published a list of the uniform numbers for the 90 man roster: 

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2023/07/24/buffalo-bills-roster-2023-training-camp/70441881007/

Here are the unused numbers.  Any known reasons why these were skipped (other than as marked)?

12 Kelly

32 (NOT retired)

34 Thurman

78 Bruce

84 will likely be Sternberger with 1, 6 ,25, 32 or 37 going to Evans.

Zero and double zero are cool numbers. The strangest you don’t see often is 01 that a Buffalo team player once wore for the Buffalo Blizzard. Kentucky Wildcats in the 1940’s or 1950’s when the “Bear” Paul “Bear Bryant was coaching there they had so many players back then before there were limits to how many you could recruit they had a player wearing 1A in the highlights. Could you imagine you have to share a number like that your chances weren’t good for playing. Also in college you can wear duplicate numbers offense and defense even at UB Bulls football I have seen players with the same number on the same team.

I have no idea why the Buffalo Bills players don’t use the numbers of 0 and double 00 other Buffalo teams have. Buffalo Sabres Marty Biron wore double zero his rookie year. Buffalo Blizzard soccer player goalies Tony Meola wore just zero 0, Jamie Swanner wore double zero and Rob Marino wore 01 when he played goal for the Buffalo Blizzard. Dave Clark wore 00 for the Buffalo Bisons. 

Six I think of Tom Dempsey the former Buffalo Bills kicker in the 1970’s. Roland Hooks 25 I think of the New England Patriots Hail Mary touchdown from Joe Ferguson. Lot of good Buffalo sports memories there with numbers. I can do that with a Buffalo sports card or a team picture look at a photo and think of memories because I am old in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by I am leaving for good

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Agree Except hooks… no idea who that is. 

I’m more thinking la shady 

Hooks was known for Big Ben before Big Ben QB was born by 1 year.... P.S. I was at that game as a whipper snapper. Was in the corridor until a roar came from crowd as Bills got the ball to mid-field. Went back to our seats for finish. 🙂

17 hours ago, PonyBoy said:

Hooks was known for Big Ben before Big Ben QB was born by 1 year.... P.S. I was at that game as a whipper snapper. Was in the corridor until a roar came from crowd as Bills got the ball to mid-field. Went back to our seats for finish. 🙂

I was pulling out of the parking lot when that play happened.

On 7/24/2023 at 1:56 PM, Dan Darragh said:

12 Kelly

32 (NOT retired)

34 Thurman

78 Bruce

Don't forget 00 will now not be being used this season either i wonder who will pick up that one ? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.