James Cook is slow...

Dopey

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

At the start of last year he definitely looked slow on the field which is what people were saying. Everyone knew he had speed, he showed it in college and he ran a 4.42 at the Combine... but he looked slow because of his indecision. 

I am optimistic he is going to take a big step this year. 

I took it as hesitancy.

Also , pencil me in as  quite optimistic

• Agree 1

I remember all the complaints earlier in the year that he wasn’t all that fast. He’s not a blazer anyway (4.49), so those expecting CJ Spiller speed were always going to be disappointed. I think he was initially slowed by thinking too much, but played much faster as the season wore on. I expect him to handle himself well this year. 

Edit: he ran a 4.42 40 yard dash, not a 4.49. That was his brother’s time.

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Agree 1

Whenever we drafted, James Cook the thing that I was worried about was that he was going to be one of those run up the middle not be able to bring atackle back that just couldn’t get anything going in the short yardage

I was pleasantly surprised towards the end of the year that even though he’s not the biggest back in the world, he did gain tough yards

20 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I remember all the complaints earlier in the year that he wasn’t all that fast. He’s not a blazer anyway (4.49), so those expecting CJ Spiller speed were always going to be disappointed. I think he was initially slowed by thinking too much, but played much faster as the season wore on. I expect him to handle himself well this year. 

Edit: he ran a 4.42 40 yard dash, not a 4.49. That was his brother’s time.

I think in order to continue his progress James Cook is gonna have to put on maybe 10 pounds? And I wonder what that will do to his speed going forward

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Whenever we drafted, James Cook the thing that I was worried about was that he was going to be one of those run up the middle not be able to bring atackle back that just couldn’t get anything going in the short yardage

I was pleasantly surprised towards the end of the year that even though he’s not the biggest back in the world, he did gain tough yards

I think in order to continue his progress James Cook is gonna have to put on maybe 10 pounds? And I wonder what that will do to his speed going forward

Bills grabbed two other backs for that task.
 And really , it's on the O line to create those creases.

Lets let him put on some muscle but remain a threat to turn a corner and head upfield outside the tackles and pulling guards. And catch that RPO flare pass etc.
That guy from the patriots can run inside the tackles vs the  likes Q Williams and C Jones.

Get him in space LOL

As an UGA fan (I live just outside Athens) I was enthused when Cook was selected. He is a weapon and really a receiving threat that can track the ball so I hope Dorsey remembers to call that number up, because it wasn't evident last year.

I got into an argument, I think it was @BullBuchanan over Cook's value. So far as I know, Bull still thinks he's not all that.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/20/2023 at 10:01 AM, JerseyBills said:

Motor was pretty slow but still liked him. Cook is just fine

Singletary was a slow 4.66

Cook at 4.42 will actually have the capacity (speed) to get those 3rd and short plays.  Glad we finally are scrubbing the Motor/ Moss formula. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/21/2023 at 9:19 PM, Dr. Who said:

As an UGA fan (I live just outside Athens) I was enthused when Cook was selected. He is a weapon and really a receiving threat that can track the ball so I hope Dorsey remembers to call that number up, because it wasn't evident last year.

I got into an argument, I think it was @BullBuchanan over Cook's value. So far as I know, Bull still thinks he's not all that.

Probably not me. I'm a big fan, but I don't believe he's a lead back in the NFL and is being grossly misused by this staff. I'd deploy him like KC does McKinnon.

On 7/20/2023 at 2:01 PM, BuffaloBill said:

I love the idea of Cook and Kincaid both being on the field. It’s a very dangerous combination potentially.

It really is.  There’s a lot of talk about Josh allen not having enough playmakers in the pass game. There was a lot of truth to that last year.  The guys that we were counting on didn’t come through and it cost us.

Cook and Kincaid are the keys to changing that narrative this season and the future.  I really feel that their development will eventually determine our fate.  Will cook take his game to a level or two above motor?  Will he become the dangerous pass catching back that we had envisioned?  Will Kincaid become that safety valve  slot/3rd down/red zone dominator that some of us think we have?  If they can realize their projected ceiling I think our offense will be in good shape.

Ken Dorsey - please take your game to the next level to assist with their ascent

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Probably not me. I'm a big fan, but I don't believe he's a lead back in the NFL and is being grossly misused by this staff. I'd deploy him like KC does McKinnon.

Fair enough. I think he may have more lead back potential, but either way, I agree that the running game needs to be more coherently woven into an overall strategy. I didn't see that last year, in any event. I also didn't see much use of Cook's receiving ability. What he can do is not just take a quick swing pass out of the backfield. He can actually track the ball on longer routes and for whatever reason that didn't show up in Dorsey's game plans.

Thanks for posting! When you see his abilities put together like this:
I love him being the underneath outlet receiver ( Beasley role)

also the outside run / jet sweep guy ( McKenzie role)

and as an inside runner his vision at the line, finding holes / reading blocks much better than guys running into the rear end of OLinemen.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.