CB Separation analysis - Sauce is ridiculous

Big Blitz

I have a feeling he won’t replicate the success he had this past year and the NY media will wonder if he’s in a sophomore slump. He got away with a lot of holding and grabbing, he won’t this year.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Seeing the complaining about the holding is irritating to me.  You play the game the refs allow and push the limits.

How many playoff games have we seen KC hold the livin isht out of us...... no flags, it was effective, we lost.........

We need to replicate it. Experiment, figure out the sweet spot for the crew refing the game. Yes, literally study tape on on what each crew is calling or not

^^ this is a two sided coin. teach our CBs how to play playoff football.  teach our WR's how to overcome it. Swipe them freaking hands off you with a violent forearm.

Not only get used to being physical, seek it out, make it your advantage. Make other teams dread playing you, we're gunna bang you up, and you can cry to the refs while youre down 2 scores

• Like (+1) 9
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

5 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I have a feeling he won’t replicate the success he had this past year and the NY media will wonder if he’s in a sophomore slump. He got away with a lot of holding and grabbing, he won’t this year.

Why not? It's not like there weren't complaints last year and nothing changed. What makes the red suddenly find their flags this year?

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The comparison table for WRs separating against Man and Zone has Isaiah McKenzie top 5 in separation against man coverage. 

I buy it. Don't need tight coverage on a guy that won't make a play on the ball. 

5 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Hopefully, and you'd think, but the league seems to bend the rules for marquee players too.  

Taron Johnson far and away the best Bills player on that list. Only 4 CB's ahead of him in zone separation. And 7 CB's ahead of him in man separation. 

I'm kind of hoping the guy doesn't have to play LB this year too.

I can't imagine going up again TE's, FB's and pulling lineman in the box on run plays is doing a whole lot for his longevity. 

Edited by Motorin'

5 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Seeing the complaining about the holding is irritating to me.  You play the game the refs allow and push the limits.

How many playoff games have we seen KC hold the livin isht out of us...... no flags, it was effective, we lost.........

We need to replicate it. Experiment, figure out the sweet spot for the crew refing the game. Yes, literally study tape on on what each crew is calling or not

^^ this is a two sided coin. teach our CBs how to play playoff football.  teach our WR's how to overcome it. Swipe them freaking hands off you with a violent forearm.

Not only get used to being physical, seek it out, make it your advantage. Make other teams dread playing you, we're gunna bang you up, and you can cry to the refs while youre down 2 scores

It’s one of my beefs with the Bills. We’re built to win the Reg season, but come playoff time, we struggle. It’s all over our roster. 

Our CBs are too small and get manhandled in the playoffs. 

Our WRs are small and require agility to get open. Come playoffs, the opposing CBs are much more physical/grabby, and we get thrown off our game. 

Our D-Line is the same way. Small agile guys who can win in the Reg season but come playoffs, get held a ton and can’t break through. 

We need playoff type players that can power through the jam at the LOS or push through holds on the line. Dominant physical players that can impose their will. 

Josh is dominant like that, but not many other Bills players are. Fingers crossed for Kincaid. 

If we’re relying on the Refs to call a game like they do in the Reg season, we may see more games like the last one against the Bengals. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

It’s one of my beefs with the Bills. We’re built to win the Reg season, but come playoff time, we struggle. It’s all over our roster. 

Our WRs are small and require agility to get open. Come playoffs, the opposing CBs are much more physical/grabby, and we get thrown off our game. 

Our D-Line is the same way. Small agile guys who can win in the Reg season but come playoffs, get held a ton and can’t break through. 

We need playoff type players that can power through the jam at the LOS or push through holds on the line. Dominant physical players that can impose their will. 

Josh is dominant like that, but not many other Bills players are. Fingers crossed for Kincaid. 

If we’re relying on the Refs to call a game like they do in the Reg season, we may see more games like the last one against the Bengals. 

Our DL is no longer small. Our CBs weren’t manhandled, they just haven’t been good vs KC and Cincy for different reasons. They need to let Elam play because we need his man abilities in the playoffs. Tre White hopefully can bounce back. White, Elam, Johnson is not small or soft at CB.

Our DL is much better built for the postseason now. It has been our downfall vs KC and Cincy. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Sauce is the real deal. When you play at a aggressive level consistently you will get the benefit of the doubt on questionable plays. Revis, Gilmore and Ramsey come to mind. Players need to match the intensity, not cry about it.

BTW: Tre White does his fair share of Holding as well. Surprisingly there are no complaints about him.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Wanted sauce, felt it was worth unloading picks to get him. Knew it would never happen. Felt the same way about Kyle Pitts. A few of these guys are as close to can't miss as it gets. Usually it's a result of physical gifts and natural playing ability. It's one thing to just be a combine hero, but when you're a combine hero and the tape shows it translating on the field as it did for Pitts and Sauce, I think it starts to become worth it to consider taking quality over quantity especially when you have a clear window like we do. 

37 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

I think this analysis is correct.  

The data about Jackson and Elam point out the bend-don't-break nature of McDermott's defense.  It's always frustrating to see how easily the Bills give up yardage, but at the end of the season the frustration has to be tempered by the fact that, on average over time, McD's defense stops teams better than others. 

The problem is that in the playoffs, you're not playing the averages - you're playing one game, and you have to stop people.  

Now, maybe the answer to that is to get White back healthy.  When White's back in form, he can take his man man-to-man, especially if the offense lines up their #2 guy against him.   When that happens, the Bills can double the other side, and with that defense the Bills get more stops, which is what's needed in the playoffs.  

Also, we just have to wait and see about Elam.  He had good cover skills coming out of college, and we didn't see him stand out much in that area.   Frankly, I think in college he didn't need much more than good cover skills, and he probably never learned much of anything about more sophisticated defensive backfield schemes, which the Bills run a lot of.   He struggled with the defense most of last season.  I'm hopeful that this season he'll be more comfortable in the defense, which will also make him more comfortable when he's in man.  And I'm not counting Benford out, either.  

Bottom line, though, is that it's tough to win in the playoffs when your defensive scheme is bend-don't-break and your corners are mediocre, as this chart shows about Elam and Jackson.  

White-Elam-Johnson-Poyer-Hyde are the guys I want on the field in the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think this analysis is correct.  

The data about Jackson and Elam point out the bend-don't-break nature of McDermott's defense.  It's always frustrating to see how easily the Bills give up yardage, but at the end of the season the frustration has to be tempered by the fact that, on average over time, McD's defense stops teams better than others. 

The problem is that in the playoffs, you're not playing the averages - you're playing one game, and you have to stop people.  

Now, maybe the answer to that is to get White back healthy.  When White's back in form, he can take his man man-to-man, especially if the offense lines up their #2 guy against him.   When that happens, the Bills can double the other side, and with that defense the Bills get more stops, which is what's needed in the playoffs.  

Also, we just have to wait and see about Elam.  He had good cover skills coming out of college, and we didn't see him stand out much in that area.   Frankly, I think in college he didn't need much more than good cover skills, and he probably never learned much of anything about more sophisticated defensive backfield schemes, which the Bills run a lot of.   He struggled with the defense most of last season.  I'm hopeful that this season he'll be more comfortable in the defense, which will also make him more comfortable when he's in man.  And I'm not counting Benford out, either.  

Bottom line, though, is that it's tough to win in the playoffs when your defensive scheme is bend-don't-break and your corners are mediocre, as this chart shows about Elam and Jackson.  

White-Elam-Johnson-Poyer-Hyde are the guys I want on the field in the playoffs.  

We've had "bend don't break" defenses since the beginning of time. They don't even remotely work in the playoffs against the elite teams.  Coaches from Walt Corey to Sean McDermott just don't get it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.