Barkley hinting at sitting out the 2023 season.

Gregg

6 hours ago, Gregg said:

I doubt he will, and he said he wants to retire a Giant, but he is clearly unhappy with the lack of progress on a new contract. The Daily News also reported this in today's paper.

That Sports Guy on Twitter: "This feels very much like the Le’Veon Bell situation with the Steelers in 2018. Giants were willing to make Saquon Barkley the highest paid RB in football. Saquon turns it down, believing he’s worth more, and is kicking around the idea of sitting out" / Twitter

Clearly…

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I think Schoen was put in a really really difficult position by their unexpected playoff run.

On the one hand I fully believe their plan was to move on from Jones and possibly Barkley and revamp the offense going forward. Hard to sell to the fan base that they are trying to win while getting rid of the starting QB and team MVP in Barkley after making the playoffs. So they vastly overpaid for Jones because they had to get either him or Barkley under contract so they could use the Franchise tag on the other. Then they tagged Barkley at $10.1M. Problem there is they just set his baseline price with that.  So that's $50M for Jones and Barkley...

Compounding that is, they really weren't a good team last year. I get it, you are what your record says and their record got them into the playoffs. But anyone that watched a good portion of their games knows that the way they won last year isn't sustainable. They played a lot of poor teams...and barely won those.  I'm hoping there is another surprise season out of them but I'm expecting a major step back this year for the G-Men.

Good post. My bet is if they didn't sign Jones the Giants fan base would understand.  But I agree with all your other points. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc said:

He's not sitting out.  He'll sign the tender once he realizes the fines are piling up in camp and they're not budging. 

Rules changed making it not possible for teams to waive fines which is something teams certainly wanted to remove pressure.

I am sure his agent is aware of this.

9 hours ago, skibum said:

RBs really get hosed by the rookie contract rules. They should be free to make mad loot by year 3 so they don't end up doing stuff like this. So many good ones end up out of the league before they can cash in. 

Even if they removed the rookie wage scale the position has become so devalued it may push a lot of first round running back prospects into the third and fourth round so NFL teams avoid having to pay them much. 

14 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

It is amazing that a running back in todays NFL would  turn down guaranteed millions of dollars, knowing full well he would most likely be out of the league after this contract period is up, ah the NFL, Rhodes scholars abound…, 

I suspect its hard, when you have daydreamed and planned for your life after football with 70 million in your nest, to dial it all the way back to 10 Million

It must be like hitting the powerball for 100 million.  Then two days later, after you've planned every dollar in your mind and who gets what, etc.,  you find out 19 other people hit it too, so its a 20 way split.

Edited by maddenboy

12 hours ago, Doc said:

He's not sitting out.  He'll sign the tender once he realizes the fines are piling up in camp and they're not budging. 

Especially when GM emeritus Gettleman pays a visit, and threatens to chase him around like he chased Kelvin Benjamin for taking too many Twinkies from the snack bar. 😁

13 hours ago, Doc said:

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Rules changed making it not possible for teams to waive fines which is something teams certainly wanted to remove pressure.

I am sure his agent is aware of this.

Fines do not apply to a player who is not under contract. Saquon is not under contract until he signs the tag or another deal. Also the Giants have the right to rescind the tag prior to him signing it. They (obviously) won’t do that and he will sign it and play - if a long term deal is not reached. They have until July 17th to get that done. Why should Saquon willingly lose leverage in those negotiations and sign the tag before then? He’s playing this correctly. 

Edited by BarleyNY

16 hours ago, Gregg said:

We need something to replace the Hopkins thread. Might as well be a Barkley one.

The Hopkins thread is full on zombie status, just won’t die…, 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Dillenger4 said:

Two guys in this league can ask for the bag: McCaffrey and Saquan. They are both beasts and gamechangers. Giants will get a deal done for him.

Based on what, his rookie year?  Last season was a nice year, but 1300 rushing and 350 receiving, is nice, but not worth breaking the bank for.

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Based on what, his rookie year?  Last season was a nice year, but 1300 rushing and 350 receiving, is nice, but not worth breaking the bank for.

Schoen is in a tough spot. You don't want to break the bank for an RB in today's NFL and Barkley does come with a history of injuries. But he is the best player on offense. I could see the Giants taking a step back this year. They really should go in the direction of acquiring more picks and building thru the draft. Trading Barkley (I doubt they will) is probably a better move long-term then signing him to a big contract. I give Daball all the credit in the world for what he did last year but that team doesn't have enough talent to be a Super Bowl contender. Not even close at this point.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Doc said:

True. But he’s still not sitting out the season or even part of it. 

Oh, most likely not. This situation screams of a signing just before the opening week...much like TJ Watt a couple years back. Problem there for the Giants is if that happen will he be in "football shape" week 1.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Fines do not apply to a player who is not under contract. Saquon is not under contract until he signs the tag or another deal. Also the Giants have the right to rescind the tag prior to him signing it. They (obviously) won’t do that and he will sign it and play - if a long term deal is not reached. They have until July 17th to get that done. Why should Saquon willingly lose leverage in those negotiations and sign the tag before then? He’s playing this correctly. 

Where did I say he wasn’t?  But the reality is that if the Giants aren’t offering him a long-term deal averaging at least $10M/year, and they’re likely not, there’s really no other way to play it.  But again, he’s not aitting out and costing himself money. 

Edited by Doc

18 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Get ready for the reports of bills being interested in trading for Barkley bs.

18 hours ago, Gregg said:

We need something to replace the Hopkins thread. Might as well be a Barkley one.

here's just one of them:

18 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Giants screwed themselves paying Jones. He's just not very good. 

That said I would never sign a RB to a big deal again. The days of LT, Edgerrin James, Thurman, and Faulk are gone. It is RB by committee now. If the cap was unlimited sure.  But its not. Even if you have a QB on a rookie deal it is still wasted money. 

If he doesn't play, Giants are screwed--they just wrote probably the worst QB contract since the Browns/Watson money fire.

25 minutes ago, Doc said:

Where did I say he wasn’t?  But the reality is that if the Giants aren’t offering him a long-term deal averaging at least $10M/year, and they’re likely not, there’s really no other way to play it.  But again, he’s not aitting out and costing himself money. 

You said “He'll sign the tender once he realizes the fines are piling up in camp”. I pointed out that your statement is incorrect because he can’t be fined until he is under contract - which he’s not. Also he can’t cost himself any other money in camp because the tag pays in game checks. As long as he signs just prior to week 1 he’ll get the full $10.1M. Same as if he signs it now. OTOH if he signs his tag now, he might cost himself some money as it helps his leverage while he can still negotiate a long term deal, which is a real possibility. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Schoen is in a tough spot. You don't want to break the bank for an RB in today's NFL and Barkley does come with a history of injuries. But he is the best player on offense. I could see the Giants taking a step back this year. They really should go in the direction of acquiring more picks and building thru the draft. Trading Barkley (I doubt they will) is probably a better move long-term then signing him to a big contract. I give Daball all the credit in the world for what he did last year but that team doesn't have enough talent to be a Super Bowl contender. Not even close at this point.

Last year with Giants reminds me of first year for Coach McD.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Limeaid said:

Last year with Giants reminds me of first year for Coach McD.

Good comparison. But the Bills didn't give Tyrod a huge deal. I wouldn't have signed Jones to a huge deal if I was their GM. He is an average or slightly above average QB. I think they will end up regretting that contract.

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Good comparison. But the Bills didn't give Tyrod a huge deal. I wouldn't have signed Jones to a huge deal if I was their GM. He is an average or slightly above average QB. I think they will end up regretting that contract.

I agree about Jones but evidently brain trust in Jiants land think Jones is better QB than he shown in years before Coach Diabolical got there. I have not looked at contract to see if it is something which they can get out of if he returns to earlier form next year.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/12/2023 at 9:41 AM, Gregg said:

I doubt he will, and he said he wants to retire a Giant, but he is clearly unhappy with the lack of progress on a new contract. The Daily News also reported this in today's paper.

That Sports Guy on Twitter: "This feels very much like the Le’Veon Bell situation with the Steelers in 2018. Giants were willing to make Saquon Barkley the highest paid RB in football. Saquon turns it down, believing he’s worth more, and is kicking around the idea of sitting out" / Twitter

Hey Gregg, no pressure, but first name of Mr.Barkley would help to make your thread title more specific, I might be cherry picking, so excuse me, but it happens we have a relevant Barkley guy in our favorite team...🙃

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaL0L0k0 said:

Hey Gregg, no pressure, but first name of Mr.Barkley would help to make your thread title more specific, I might be cherry picking, so excuse me, but it happens we have a relevant Barkley guy in our favorite team...🙃

Good point. I should have mentioned Saquon.

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

You said “He'll sign the tender once he realizes the fines are piling up in camp”. I pointed out that your statement is incorrect because he can’t be fined until he is under contract - which he’s not. Also he can’t cost himself any other money in camp because the tag pays in game checks. As long as he signs just prior to week 1 he’ll get the full $10.1M. Same as if he signs it now. OTOH if he signs his tag now, he might cost himself some money as it helps his leverage while he can still negotiate a long term deal, which is a real possibility. 

Yeah I forgot that they can't be fined if they don't sign the tender.  That being said, he won't sit out the season (the title of the thread) and lose on about $600K a week.

• Agree 1

Dov Kleiman on Twitter: "Update: The #Giants have now placed their pre-franchise tag offer back on the table for RB Saquon Barkley, per @RapSheet It was taken off back in March when they tagged him but now it's back on. The offer was separately reported to be worth up to $14 million, per @njdotcom https://t.co/jGxvpdXjVr" / Twitter

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

Dov Kleiman on Twitter: "Update: The #Giants have now placed their pre-franchise tag offer back on the table for RB Saquon Barkley, per @RapSheet It was taken off back in March when they tagged him but now it's back on. The offer was separately reported to be worth up to $14 million, per @njdotcom https://t.co/jGxvpdXjVr" / Twitter

Likely heavily incentive laden.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.