Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

25 minutes ago, Simon said:

This is an excellent post and I would only add to it that the fact that's he's well-respected by all his brothers and coaches is a decisive factor as well.

At the end of the day this signing does not improve the team.  It merely adds to the cost of the status quo insofar as Oliver goes.  

All offseason people were complaining that it DL and DTs aren't good enough.  So what's changed?  Nothing but the price.

Thats's a fact.  

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, bearstobills said:

Clueless take.  It really is.  Who has he overrated and signed?  I'll wait. 

2017 He signed Milano, Tredavious, and Dawkins to extensions (and those were guys he did not draft)

2018 He signed Josh Allen, Taron Johnson, and Siran Neal to extensions

2019 Ed Oliver signed

So who has he overrated and paid??  Ed doesn't count because you're suggesting a pattern. I'm still waiting. 

I'm guessing he was thinking of Daryl Williams, Star, and maybe Quinton Spain.   All of these were guys that got big money contracts from Beane and then flamed out, but of course none of them were drafted by Beane.  

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Yeah, I don’t know that yet. Oliver was injured quite a bit this last year.

One thing I have learned from this thread is the variety and types plural of injuries he has had nagging. What this tells me is his physical health is a point of contention moving forward . I mean it indeed is with all pro athletes vitally important that they be available to play in games. And effectiveness can be hampered when not playing 100%. 

I am sure he will be receiving the best training and preparation possible to be a Force for our DL.  WE all have to hope he can remain healthy.

1 minute ago, muppy said:

One thing I have learned from this thread is the variety and types plural of injuries he has had nagging. What this tells me is his physical health is a point of contention moving forward . I mean it indeed is with all pro athletes vitally important that they be available to play in games. And effectiveness can be hampered when not playing 100%. 

I am sure he will be receiving the best training and preparation possible to be a Force for our DL.  WE all have to hope he can remain healthy.

I think it just shows that we fans are just fans and don’t know everything about the team

To me, everything was pointing to Oliver on his way out. He hadn’t given the production to warrant his draft pick, and he had been injured this last two years.

But the bills didn’t feel that way

I don't see it.  Looks like an overspend just like Star.  Could have easily been replaced with a day 2 draft pick next year.  

Hated the pick.  He's done nothing to change my mind, and now I hate the extension.

All we can do now is hope he stays healthy and puts up 8-10 sacks this year with McD calling the plays.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Simon said:

The only time he's invisible is when he's hurt, which is my only real concern about this  extension.

Yeah but Ed Oliver is hurt A LOT.

A LOT A LOT.

This despite being a heavily rotated DT who is playing just 570 snaps per year compared to say......Jeffery Simmons......who is being asked to play 870 snaps per year.

Simmons projects to earn about $27,000 per snap on his 4 year $94M deal.........Ed Oliver at $17M projects to $30,000 per snap.

And of course when Simmons is playing hurt he's still very impactful because he's a full sized DT while Ed is greatly diminished due to his lack of size/length.

So on paper it's a bad deal.   They still gotta' fill an extra 150-300 snaps that teams with other highly paid DT's do not expect to have to.  

But hopefully Ed learns how to take care of himself better and play smarter.    

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This thread has been hilarious and Mike Catalana showing off his Drew Bledsoe "Donahoe Clown Suit" road jersey just added to it. :lol:

I agree lol

6 hours ago, Simon said:

Fun fact:

Last year there were only 5 DTs in the NFL that had more Tackles for Loss per game than Ed Oliver.

But please keep telling us how awful he is and that you never see him make any plays.

It's funny because it just shows how little you actually see. :lol:

in 13 games.. well 12.3 cause he went out early in one lol 

Lots of horrible narratives... "But i am the one that is wrong most times and just this one stuck"

its just laughable. But you know what? its good to see a mod in a thread that helps keep the thread clean for the most party. thanks :D 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think it just shows that we fans are just fans and don’t know everything about the team

To me, everything was pointing to Oliver on his way out. He hadn’t given the production to warrant his draft pick, and he had been injured this last two years.

But the bills didn’t feel that way

We may be fans but we aren't completely uniformed either. Remember this is the same management team that signed a guy that quit at half time and drafted and played the worst QB in NFL history. They are not geniuses.  Oh yeah its the same guys that traded Teller.  They make mistakes all the time.  

We've watched Oliver play for four years.  We knew he was undersized coming out of college and shocking he has battled injuries(pectoral, calf, ankle).  He has a total of 14.5 sacks in 4 years.  I think most on here agreed with picking up the 5th year guarantee. That made sense. I think most were happy to see him play on the last year of his deal hoping he would really ball out.  Now he is an overpaid injury prone undersized DT that we hope can live up to they hype coming out college. 

• Agree 2

27 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

🤓

What on Earth would make you say that?  Is it the strategic free agent signings?  The high level draft picks? Coming off a 3 loss season?  The return of a Hall of Fame pass rusher? Another year with a top 3 quarterback?

I mean, you are using your precious time on Earth on a Bills fan site.  And you took the time to post, so clearly you care about the team.  Just wondering what about this year seems so foreboding that you bring up the EJ years?

2 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

What on Earth would make you say that?  Is it the strategic free agent signings?  The high level draft picks? Coming off a 3 loss season?  The return of a Hall of Fame pass rusher? Another year with a top 3 quarterback?

I mean, you are using your precious time on Earth on a Bills fan site.  And you took the time to post, so clearly you care about the team.  Just wondering what about this year seems so foreboding that you bring up the EJ years?

Sorry, I was responding to this guy....

1 hour ago, Bills!Win! said:

This year I’m the least excited I’ve been about the Bills since the EJ Manuel days…

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

A LOT A LOT.

This despite being a heavily rotated DT who is playing just 570 snaps per year compared to say......Jeffery Simmons......who is being asked to play 870 snaps per year.

Simmons projects to earn about $27,000 per snap on his 4 year $94M deal.........Ed Oliver at $17M projects to $30,000 per snap.

And of course when Simmons is playing hurt he's still very impactful because he's a full sized DT while Ed is greatly diminished due to his lack of size/length.

So on paper it's a bad deal.   They still gotta' fill an extra 150-300 snaps that teams with other highly paid DT's do not expect to have to.  

post of the thread. 

I hope the he plays up to it, but it’s a pretty hefty pay day for the role he plays, and no promise he suddenly stays healthy. 

if I could put out that kind of outlay anywhere I want, it’s not the spot I’d go with. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes he is.

And what spooks me is that I'm not convinced there exists a viable path where taking care of himself and playing smarter will lead to an appreciable improvement in his day to day health.

On every snap he's going hard against either one or two guys who are bigger and stronger than him, which means he's got to plant and drive that much harder, press and pull that much harder, and extend and expose himself that much more to be effective. If he doesn't do it, he's not effective and if he does, shlt is going to start popping. He might be able to add some more size without losing too much jump and that might help him stay on the field more; but if not, he's probably going to be going through a hell of a lot of tape.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

It's not.  Not by an stretch.  

Go out on the open market and sign another 3T and see what that costs.   The top guys don't get out of their organizations.  You have to draft them so keeping your own is usually the best way to go.  With the salary cap increase in the next few years and probably an out on this contract in 3 years its not the big deal everyone is freaking out about.  

I already did. Suh cost 6M for the Bucs and produced 6 sacks and 7 TFL compared to Oliver's 2.5/6. We're paying almost 3x the amount for worse production.

Very surprised by this. Never liked the pick-- undersized and underperformed in college. Extension may free up cap room, but I would have rather tried to keep Edmunds. And, as others have noted, he is oft-injured. Just very curious, imo.

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

post of the thread. 

I hope the he plays up to it, but it’s a pretty hefty pay day for the role he plays, and no promise he suddenly stays healthy. 

if I could put out that kind of outlay anywhere I want, it’s not the spot I’d go with. 

They could’ve spent an extra $4Mil and kept Edmunds.  Maybe he wanted to leave and/or the coaching staff felt the same way most of us did about him?  Two more Pro Bowls than Oliver.

7 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I already did. Suh cost 6M for the Bucs and produced 6 sacks and 7 TFL compared to Oliver's 2.5/6. We're paying almost 3x the amount for worse production.

First, it was 9m the year he went for 6/7 https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/ndamukong-suh-6511/

Secondly, he was 34 years old. Like it or not, age and wear and tear play a massive role in contracts. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.