Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

Hopkins doesn’t draw a lot of coverage while he is hurt, pouting or suspended for roids…..which is a lot…..but his contract burns cap anyway.

Noted. I'll put you in the does not want Hopkins category in the running tally I keep in my socks drawer.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Noted. I'll put you in the does not want Hopkins category in the running tally I keep in my socks drawer.

Awesome.  Keep in mind that I’ll still root for anyone the Bills sign unless they somehow cross sports and sign Jack Eichole.  That’s off the table.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MikePJ76 said:

I am well aware of what decade it is and where the nfl is at.

Until I see proof that adding veteran star wr is the key move in winning championships I am going to continue to be skeptical.  I do not care what era of football you are talking about its almost always about the quarterback and the offensive and defensive lines.  Buffalo has one of the best wr in the league in Diggs.  I just don't see signing hopkins as the thing that puts them over the top.

Like I said before in another post though,  he has the skillset that the bills do not have.  Big Bodied, great hands, tough catch guy with a huge radius.  He can make all the amazing plays and if you put the ball on him or near him he is catching it.  So if they do sign him and he and diggs can be comfortable with each player getting different amounts of targets each week and share the spotlight it could be the leagues most dangerous duo.

It just seems to me that the offseason hype that comes with this move never actually materializes into on field results.  Time and time again big time wr have moved and it just fizzles out or comes up just short like owens in philly and moss in new england.  

I just want them to win.

So these moves didn't make them reach the Big game?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Hopkins doesn’t draw a lot of coverage while he is hurt, pouting or suspended for roids…..which is a lot…..but his contract burns cap anyway.

Great put him and Miller in Bubble wrap in storage.  Open them up on Christmas in time for the playoffs.  This isnt a move for September.  This is a playoff move.  Create more problems for defenses.  Having guys who can win one on one does that.  Not having to take the cheese on 3rd and long but having a guy who can win  in 10-15 yards does that.  

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 1

Hopkins has played 10 seasons, and he only has missed significant time in 2 of them - one for the PED thing (which IIRC was a misunderstanding during some offseason recovery and not just blasting roids?) and one for a fluke injury. Yes, those two things happened in the most recent consecutive years, but again the PED thing was a one-off and the knee thing wasn't a recurring "this guy is always injured" it was a fluke one-off injury to his MCL 

2 hours ago, FluffHead said:

No. Talking about the punt return that essentially ended the game 

You have a point there. 

However, HappyDays who originally brought up the topic of Toney, I have to assume was referencing him as a receiver when he also mentioned AJ Brown and OBJ helping the Eagles and Rams respectively. I have to assume he was not considering special teams ability since neither AJ Brown or OBJ bring any at this point in their careers . 

Strictly as a receiver, Toney didn't move the needle much. 

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The Saints did it every year until Drew Brees retired and then they took their medicine. It was never a problem for them in their elite QB window

The Saints had three consecutive 7-9 seasons with Brees and Payton. 

That was sort of in the middle of the Payton and Brees era. Really shouldn't have happened since Brees was in his prime during that streak of 7-9 seasons. 

However, I think you are still somewhat correct because the later era Saints, did put up some winning seasons despite being in cap space hell for a lot of those years.

40 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Poor Kincaid, going from first round best TE prospect in college football to JAG without ever playing a snap in the NFL :(

He’s a jag until he proves himself in the NFL. A lot of guys get picked in first round, a lot of them only ever become jags. 

• Vomit 1

23 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

James Cook had the 2nd highest YPC in the league out of all RBs last year.

yes I know the bills and the team.  Geez.  you have your head in the sand if you think this is a team that can line up and run the ball and be physical.  The good teams can line up and run anytime and are physical in the running game specifically in short yardage situations.

The bills have created a situation this year where they may be able to do that now with the additions.  It will be a huge difference and it will help allen in all kinds of ways.  

21 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

So these moves didn't make them reach the Big game?

Owens signing in philly it did help them.  They were stuck in the championship game for 3 years and the organization refused to address the wr position.  They were a top defensive team in all of jim johnsons time and they had an excellent offensive line and running game.  They did not have a diggs on their roster already.  Adding owens to their  offense with that running game created mismatches all over.

and then they lost to a more physical team in the superbowl and owens blamed mcnabb and did pushups in his driveway for the media while he was supposed to be at practice......then a few years later when his game slipped in 08 he blamed romo for the teams faults in Dallas.  

The bills have one of the best WR in the league, one of the best qb's and what looks like an improved running game/O-line and tight end with all kinds of potential.  

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Taro Nimbus said:

So any real updates, or are we just having general conversation here?! 

The whole thread is a duplicated general conversation, 

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, arcane said:

Hopkins has played 10 seasons, and he only has missed significant time in 2 of them - one for the PED thing (which IIRC was a misunderstanding during some offseason recovery and not just blasting roids?) and one for a fluke injury. Yes, those two things happened in the most recent consecutive years, but again the PED thing was a one-off and the knee thing wasn't a recurring "this guy is always injured" it was a fluke one-off injury to his MCL 

He’s getting older, getting hurt and cheating.  Let’s pay him tons.  Wooo hooo

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

We get it - you don’t want Hopkins. That’s fair, everyone has their opinions. Analytics says he’s still a top 5 receiver who produces no matter the qb and rarely drops a ball. He would create a ton of problems for defenses playing Buffalo. The Jets have an elite d, Miami traded for Ramsey and NE has Belecheat. The more weapons we can add on O the better 

• Like (+1) 3

I’m in the ‘sign him if you can’ camp. 

3 reasons:

1. If Diggs misses time due to injury, they’re average. Slightly above at full strength if Kincaid is a force as a rookie (in a division with above average DBs)

2. Preventive measure, keeping him from being a weapon against us with KC, Chargers, Jets, or other

3. Mismatch nightmare potential with Diggs, DHop, Kincaid, Cook on the field along with one of these: Knox, Shakir, Shorter, Harty, or Sherfield. 

I think the Bills O will be good, regardless, but that added threat and insurance against injury to other offensive weapons is a plus in my view. 

Edited by SoMAn
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

He really only played in 8 games, mostly with a backup QB and still averaged 90 yards per game.  I’m not sure where this old, hurt, and drop off in productivity line of thinking is coming from. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.