Rd 7, Pick 230: G Nick Broeker, Mississippi

SDS

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

A lot of guards on the team now. It makes me wonder if Morse could be a surprise cut or trade to free up some cap space? Bates could slide in at center without too much drop off. Just a thought.

Morse ain’t cheap, and the concussions scare me (on multiple levels). As noted above, some of the older, more expensive guys might get you a draft chip next year. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, DJB said:

Why is everyone trying to cut Morse all the time? 

I'm not pounding the table to get rid of Morse, but we have seen Bates capably play center. We are light on cap space and still could use a couple late-stage free agent signings to round out our DL. Not to mention a certain WR that I would still love to find a way to obtain. Moving on from Morse may be the best available avenue to clear up a decent amount of cap space without a huge drop off to the next man in line.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Beane seems to have a fetish for positions. One year it was defensive ends. We are in the too light to play linebacker fetish, and we have started the “get 15 OG’s and hope 4 are above average.”

I hope next year he picks 3 DT’s that are 330lbs+

I'd have been cool with every pick from 2 onward to be O-line. Hell, grab a T or C next! 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

I'm not pounding the table to get rid of Morse, but we have seen Bates capably play center. We are light on cap space and still could use a couple late-stage free agent signings to round out our DL. Not to mention a certain WR that I would still love to find a way to obtain. Moving on from Morse may be the best available avenue to clear up a decent amount of cap space without a huge drop off to the next man in line.

May be the best for him as well. His brain will be slush of he gets another concussion. 

I said in the draft thread it’s obvious by the trade downs that the Bills draft board was tapped out.

if that’s true, it makes sense for the Bills to draft guys that they have good depth in because they will never be able to convince Broeker to come here as a UDFA with all the Guards we have. 

It’s easier to convince DTs to come here after you show them you have none signed after this year. Drafting a DT this late deters other DTs from coming in as UDFAs

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

A lot of guards on the team now. It makes me wonder if Morse could be a surprise cut or trade to free up some cap space? Bates could slide in at center without too much drop off. Just a thought.

I think the 2021/2022 version of Morse is a much better C than many here give him credit for, and the drop-off to Bates is bigger than people think.

If there's one Beane draft choice that I'm still salty about, it's the choice to draft Boogie Basham in 2021 with Creed Humphrey on the board.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Age, concussion history and $8M freed up against the cap. I don't agree with it...but I understand it.

This is where I am, too. I can’t make other people’s life decisions, but he should retire. I think he has been a very good center for us, a bit of stability for Josh. But I can see moving on.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Chas56 said:

This is where I am, too. I can’t make other people’s life decisions, but he should retire. I think he has been a very good center for us, a bit of stability for Josh. But I can see moving on.

Bates can play center but I don't think we have another guy on the team that can play center.  Edwards may have taken a few snaps at C but I don't know that he even makes the roster.  My guess is Morse plays this year and Bates is your C in 2024

4 minutes ago, Bigvinny said:

Can play all 5 spots on the o line.

Short arms even for a guard. No way he play OT in NFL

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chas56 said:

After the horrific play of Morse’s injury replacements last season, I don’t want anyone else snapping the ball who isn’t a full fledged Center. Minnesota and 1st Miami game were lost because of this. (I still weep in the dark over those plays)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Besides the first 2 rds this draft is a F+ to me. 

I mean, in fairness to the Bills, after the first two rounds, they seemed done with the draft as well. 

We’ll see what the plan is for Dorian Williams, and given the multiple meetings between Bills/Shorter they clearly viewed him as a mid-late round developmental WR they wanted, but after that … they were literally trading away picks for next year.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.