Was the trade up necessary? 🤔

StHustle

Was it worth us trading up in the first and losing our 4th round pick?  

345 members have voted

1. 1. Considering the players still available and what we gave up, was trading our 4th round pick worth moving up two slots to draft Dalton Kincaid?

• Yes, it WAS worth it!
    • No, it is NOT worth what we gave up!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/30/2023 at 11:37 PM

Ok so Im like many of us Bills Mafians. I HATE the thought that we traded up unnecessarily for a pick Beane decided to make in earlier drafts. Welp here we are again, another draft, another trade up in the first. Some of Beane's previous trade ups were understandable while many others were highly questionable. FOR THIS SPECIFIC TRADE UP, do you feel Beane was completely justified? Even if you believe the Cowboys would have indeed selected Kincaid and for us to get him, trading up was necessary. If you dont feel the pick was worth the sacrifice, STILL VOTE NO. So my polling question here is, DO YOU FEEL THE TRADE UP IN THE FIRST ROUND OF THE 2023 DRAFT WAS WORTH IT? Put your current opinion on the matter on the record RIGHT NOW!

• Vomit 4
  • Eyeroll 10
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

I'm going with a soft 'no', because there were still a lot of great players on the board, and this was something of a luxury pick. Don't get me wrong, I like the player a lot, but he will have to make a pretty big impact for this to be a square deal. As with all draft picks, we don't know if that will pan out. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Conlan58 said:

If Kincaid ends up being a bust, No. If he ends up being a second coming of Ertz or Kelce, Yes. 

This is where I'm at. If he's a good player, beane did good. If he's a bad player, Beane did bad.

But if you ask me today and you need an answer now, I say: "I don't know". Perhaps a "maybe".

If they wanted Kincaid, it was definitely necessary as he was as close of a lock as there is in a draft to go to Dallas.  So it honestly strictly comes down to how they felt about Kincaid, and they definitely stated he was their guy.  Beane also stated if Kincaid was gone, they had a trade back in place because none of the other players had first round grades on his board.  

Leading up to the draft I kept saying Dallas was a problem and the Giants at 25 make sense for his to move up to and it would cost exactly a 4th this year.  And the reason I said Dallas was a problem was because any of the offensive players people thought we might covet if they fell near us were also going to be guys on Dallas's board too.  Bijan for example, Kincaid obviously, or also even one of the WR's...all depending on how the board fell.

The board fell in a way where there was only one obvious player sticking out and that was Kincaid.  Now some can differ on whether or not Kincaid should have been their guy, but based on them being Beanes target when the 25th pick came up, he had to make that move to get him IMHO. Personally, I agree that he was the BPA on the board, so I was fine with them going after the best player. 

Just hope Dorsey gets this kid the ball now.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

2 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

This is where I'm at. If he's a good player, beane did good. If he's a bad player, Beane did bad.

But if you ask me today and you need an answer now, I say: "I don't know". Perhaps a "maybe".

Guys, hindsight is 20/20 for any such move. Im asking you to plant a flag on the decision RIGHT NOW! 

I’m a firm believer you do what you gotta do to get the guy you want. If Beane didn’t receive trade interest in the original pick and moving back, better go up and get someone you think is a difference maker. As I said last night I think this is a genius red zone move, an area that has been pretty difficult for them. This guy along with Knox, Davis and Diggs should be a red zone nightmare for defenses when you add in Allen’s run ability or Harris’s strength or cook/Hines speed. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Cowboys were going to take him.

It’s always interesting to me to see how these things play out.  

Everyone knew Dallas wanted Kincaid IF he was there.  

However, from the video snippets and reporters witnessing their war room, it seems they were quite unsettled when we jumped them for Kincaid.  

Surely, if we all knew what they wanted to do, they would put the word out to have the chance to match/exceed a trade offer if someone tries to jump them, no?

Its not like they just said, oh well.. we’ll just go Mazi Smith now.. they took their time and had, what clearly seemed to be, some animated discussions about what to do. 

• Like (+1) 2

A 4th rounder in a “weak draft class” to ensure you get the last highly rated player on the board, every time that’s a yes. Getting Josh a new target was clearly the focus of the first round. Plus it was no secret that Dallas needed a TE and will now settle for a day two prospect.

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.