Should Trade Back be Priority ONE for the BB?

PrimeTime101

Do we move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do we move up, go back, or go up for need?

• Move up some spots with a next years pick. get the next best ILB or whatever?
    • stay put stay firm the rest of the draft
    • move back. try and get one more pick in the top 100, even if that means trading next years pick?

So we are down to 4 picks and for me? I like my 4th round picks.. There are a ton of one tech DT that should be there, LOTS of RT's that can compete, so for me.. Trading back seems to be important.

Still high needs, 

ILB (do we stay put and get the best ILB there? or best Edge there?)

Edge "  "

Safety

DI

Or do we stay put?

Or do we move up by trading a next years round pick to get what we really want?

Edited by PrimeTime101

I think you evaluate the situation as it develops and decide what to do based on the circumstances at the time. Locking yourself into any particular "WE MUST TRADE BACK" scenario is awfully limiting. 

Edited by Malazan
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Stay put.

We need “rosterable” players. 

I could care less if we trade our 5th or 6th to move up again. 

Give me 4 guys who can help next year and I’m good.  

We need to stop having Anderson, Wildgoose, Tenuta, Blackshear, Hodgins etc., prospects poached from us every year.  

We don’t have a ton of holes.. We have a highly paid roster and these picks need to impact … and impact early… not year 3 or 4 of their rookie contract. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Malazan said:

I think you evaluate the situation as it develops and decide what to do based on the circumstances at the time. Locking yourself into any particular "WE MUST TRADE BACK" scenario is awfully limiting. 

so... we both know the BB have plenty of good situational awareness. That is not a question. This pole was not built to suggest that is how the BB should think... The pole is to ask what WE THINK... 

34 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

So we are down to 4 picks and for me? I like my 4th round picks.. There are a ton of one tech DT that should be there, LOTS of RT's that can compete, so for me.. Trading back seems to be important.

Still high needs, 

ILB (do we stay put and get the best ILB there? or best Edge there?)

Edge "  "

Safety

DI

Or do we stay put?

Or do we move up by trading a next years round pick to get what we really want?

Honestly, I think the answer to your poll is:  All of the above.  Just given its too hard to tell until we see how the board falls.

Beane said he had a trade back in place if Kincaid was gone because no one left had a first round grade.  I have a felling we could be in a similar position at 59 where he could not have anyone on his board with a 2nd round grade.  @GunnerBill made a good point about how with the first round so light at the top, a lot of the 2nd rounder players were going in the first than say in a deeper draft.  So makes me wonder how thin it will be when we are on the clock.  

So I do think there is a good chance Beane will look to trade back and try and maybe get back an extra draft capital either this year or next if he doesn't see the value there.  That being said, there are some guys here on the board I would have a hard time seeing Beane pass on if they last to us and even some I wouldn't be surprised he made another small move up for if they get close enough.  For example, either Sanders or Simpson at LB, a couple of the OL guys, one of the WR's like Downs, Branch at S, to name a few.  Not all those guys are making it to us or within stinking distance, if any.    

One thing I know about Beane is he will go get his guy if they are there, even move up again if its someone they covet at a price he can live with.  At the same time, Beane isn't someone who likes to reach either, so if their board says the value isn't there I am confident he is going to at least attempt to move back.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Honestly, I think the answer to your poll is:  All of the above.  Just given its too hard to tell until we see how the board falls.

Beane said he had a trade back in place if Kincaid was gone because no one left had a first round grade.  I have a felling we could be in a similar position at 59 where he could not have anyone on his board with a 2nd round grade.  @GunnerBill made a good point about how with the first round so light at the top, a lot of the 2nd rounder players were going in the first than say in a deeper draft.  So makes me wonder how thin it will be when we are on the clock.  

So I do think there is a good chance Beane will look to trade back and try and maybe get back an extra draft capital either this year or next if he doesn't see the value there.  That being said, there are some guys here on the board I would have a hard time seeing Beane pass on if they last to us and even some I wouldn't be surprised he made another small move up for if they get close enough.  For example, either Sanders or Simpson at LB, a couple of the OL guys, one of the WR's like Downs, Branch at S, to name a few.  Not all those guys are making it to us or within stinking distance, if any.    

One thing I know about Beane is he will go get his guy if they are there, even move up again if its someone they covet at a price he can live with.  At the same time, Beane isn't someone who likes to reach either, so if their board says the value isn't there I am confident he is going to at least attempt to move back.  

Well Said. Either way... it is a fun conversation to have yes?

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Well Said. Either way... it is a fun conversation to have yes?

Yeah, totally...really the fundamental basis of a message board forum too :)

NFL draft is one of my favorite times of the year too, and this years has gotten off to a wild and interesting start.  So really curious how round 2 plays out.  I wonder if we see another round of high trade activity or not.  This draft is pretty wild in terms of how teams are grading players, teams have very different opinions I think on a number of players, so makes so much less predictable.  

54 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Stay put or slide back depending on how the board falls seems to be the best bet. 

Pretty much agree, but there is no way to speculate on generalizations like this. Who is available? How do you grade them? What would moving gain/cost you? Who is drafting around you? What are their needs? I would not even venture a vote without knowing the specifics. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, totally...really the fundamental basis of a message board forum too :)

NFL draft is one of my favorite times of the year too, and this years has gotten off to a wild and interesting start.  So really curious how round 2 plays out.  I wonder if we see another round of high trade activity or not.  This draft is pretty wild in terms of how teams are grading players, teams have very different opinions I think on a number of players, so makes so much less predictable.  

and you know what the draft brings? The end of a stressful part of the offseason and onto a more positive outlook!

• Agree 1

It's too early to answer that question. It depends on who's on the board at the time. Help the team this year and don't worry about recovering a low-round pick.

Top priorities are to improve the OL and get a MLB. If trading back allows you to do that, then do it. If not, stay put or even trade up if necessary.

27 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I tried to vote for all 3 choices, but it wouldn't let me.

Depends who's available, if moving up 3 or 4 slots could gets us the LB Sanders, then worth it or for similar player.  But moving back could be good too if no one there that the team wants.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

Pretty much agree, but there is no way to speculate on generalizations like this. Who is available? How do you grade them? What would moving gain/cost you? Who is drafting around you? What are their needs? I would not even venture a vote without knowing the specifics. 

And this is a fair answer... maybe there is no right or wrong answer... Maybe I am just hoping to much that we do get extra picks :D

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

The only thing I can speculate from where we sit now is it would make more sense to move back than up unless "that guy" is falling down the board or there when you pick. Coming in we had 6 picks and used 2 up last night to secure DK. I'm good with that...but the picks to trade side of the ledger is pretty thinned out for this year...and I hate giving picks next year. But as you say...lots of variables and there really is no way to answer.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The only thing I can speculate from where we sit now is it would make more sense to move back than up unless "that guy" is falling down the board or there when you pick. Coming in we had 6 picks and used 2 up last night to secure DK. I'm good with that...but the picks to trade side of the ledger is pretty thinned out for this year...and I hate giving picks next year. But as you say...lots of variables and there really is no way to answer.

Sounds like the first round. There was one guy worth moving up for, otherwise they wanted to move back. You don’t know until you get to that moment and evaluate the situation. BUT, getting MORE picks is certainly appealing. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

Sounds like the first round. There was one guy worth moving up for, otherwise they wanted to move back. You don’t know until you get to that moment and evaluate the situation. BUT, getting MORE picks is certainly appealing. 

yea, and that was my whole point on this thread lol. Don't shoot the messenger... Oh wait... that's me too :D 

2 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

I voted stay put, but if it took our 5th to move up in the 2nd to draft a guy they are targeting, I would do it.  Next years draft is supposedly better, so id like to keep those picks. 

that is a really good point but many things can change in a year lol

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

Stay put.

We need “rosterable” players. 

I could care less if we trade our 5th or 6th to move up again. 

Give me 4 guys who can help next year and I’m good.  

We need to stop having Anderson, Wildgoose, Tenuta, Blackshear, Hodgins etc., prospects poached from us every year.  

We don’t have a ton of holes.. We have a highly paid roster and these picks need to impact … and impact early… not year 3 or 4 of their rookie contract. 

Great post SC.  I completely agree.  Get an OT, WR and LB out of the 4 picks left and I am happy.  Get good players tonite in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Package our early 5th from Arizona with our 6th to move up some into the back end of the 4th round, and we should be able to find 3 more guys that can contribute right away.  Combine that with the Kincaid pick, and its a dam good draft.  We don't need extra picks, just to sit on the practice squad until they are poached by other teams.

4 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Trade the 5th and 6th for a 4th and get it finished up early

I'd absolutely be fine with this. Quality not quantity.

I'd also be willing to part with a 3rd or 4th from next year knowing there is likely a 3rd round comp headed our way.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.