RD 1, Pick 25: TE Dalton Kincaid, Utah

SDS

- I don’t care what his listed position is as long as he gets on the field and helps make Allen better and the Bills better. 

- Hope he can attend “TE University” this summer. 

- 24? BFD!  So at the ripe old age of 32, he will be an 8 year NFL vet. 

- Back issue?  Hope they are not of the recurring variety. 

- Daniel Jeremiah ranked him #9 overall. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

- I don’t care what his listed position is as long as he gets on the field and helps make Allen better and the Bills better. 

This is my biggest concern for him but listening to Beane there doctors cleared him and teams share results with each other and he “was definitely cleared”

I didn’t know teams shared that info and that makes me feel much better. As a receiver Kincaid is exactly the type of player we were missing, very excited

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

When we had a legitimate work, the middle of the field slot receiver in Cole, Beasley, Josh was perfectly happy to work the middle of the field and not go downtown with every throw

He needs someone he can trust and then he will go back to it

When you have 2 TE's on the line it's different than having a slot guy on obvious passing downs. If they think they are going to split him out then I don't know, I don't think he's that fast of a player to get open 1 on 1 with a nickel corner. It's not like he's a freak athlete, he's just a good athlete. I think he will be a good redzone option I just don't think he's going to be the every down guy that people are expecting out of round 1 guys

The majority of Dorsey's offense devolves into pulling the fire alarm and having Allen running around in circles dodging defenders while the recievers run around in circles trying to get open. So they get a guy who's good at finding open spots and getting open. I don't know, seems like a good fit to me. Again though, with Dorsey's no plan offense they still can't be done adding receivers. More more more 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

When you have 2 TE's on the line it's different than having a slot guy on obvious passing downs. If they think they are going to split him out then I don't know, I don't think he's that fast of a player to get open 1 on 1 with a nickel corner. It's not like he's a freak athlete, he's just a good athlete. I think he will be a good redzone option I just don't think he's going to be the every down guy that people are expecting out of round 1 guys

Beasley wasn't fast enough to get open against most nickel corners either. He did it with leverage and feel. And I think there are some of the same skills in Kincaid. They are going to split him out as a big slot for the most part. To an extent I agree with you though, he is a good athlete but he isn't Kyle Pitts. He isn't an athletic freak of a receiving tight end and there is a question about what the "success criteria" looks like for this pick. But you have to keep the context of this draft in mind too. There just weren't those guaranteed difference makers there IMO - even before the run on receivers. I don't think any of those 4 guys will end up a true #1 level player. 

• Like (+1) 3

In terms of the player himself, Dalton Kincaid was a fantastic pick.

One of the better Tight End prospects in the last several years.  Universally considered a mid/late first round guy.  Very possible the best offensive weapon available when the Bills were on the clock last night.

Just like many others on the board though, my concerns are not about Kincaid the player.  It's more about Ken Dorsey and how effective our offensive coordinator can be in properly utilizing his skillset.  For the last 3-4 years, this team has run mostly 11 personnel.  Now with Dawson Knox's big paycheck, and us investing a 1st Round Pick on another Tight End, this team is signaling a switch to mostly 12.  It's going to be a transition.

Last year, Beane made it a BIG priority to add a pass-catching RB to the offense.  He went after JD McKissic in free agency (missed out).  Then drafted James Cook in the 2nd Round.  Then traded for Nyheim Hines.  We had the players to make this a big piece of our offensive attack.  But Cook ended up with only 32 pass targets all season, and was simply used interchangeably with Devin Singletary.  Hines was barely used at all, except for returning punts.  Total waste of talent.

I hear all the ideas about Kincaid being a chess piece and matchup nightmare.  I hear all the creative ideas on how Kincaid will help us attack defenses.  My fear is that Dorsey isn't creative enough to do that.  Within a couple years, fans will be complaining that either the Knox contract or Kincaid draft pick was a bad decision, because our OC couldn't figure out how to use both.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

It’s not like Kobe Easley was this freakishly, fast wide receiver to begin with. He was good at finding spaces in the zones.

One thing that I have not seen talked about with Dalton is his basketball background he actually hasn’t been playing football for very long because he was playing basketball

He’s not gonna be the cornerback in his routes he’s going to wall them off and catch the ball hits the line backers that are trying to cover him that need to be worrying about getting lost

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Beasley wasn't fast enough to get open against most nickel corners either. He did it with leverage and feel. And I think there are some of the same skills in Kincaid. They are going to split him out as a big slot for the most part. To an extent I agree with you though, he is a good athlete but he isn't Kyle Pitts. He isn't an athletic freak of a receiving tight end and there is a question about what the "success criteria" looks like for this pick. But you have to keep the context of this draft in mind too. There just weren't those guaranteed difference makers there IMO - even before the run on receivers. I don't think any of those 4 guys will end up a true #1 level player. 

Yeah, I really liked what Bing did as far as position in this draft there were certain positions that were said to have stronger talent than others, and that this was not an incredibly strong draft. Overall, one of the positions of strength was tight end, so being took the best tight

And all this comparing him to Pitts I don’t understand why a player hast to be compared to the most freak athlete at a position to be determined whether it’s a success or not suppose Dalton ends up being Mike Gasecki would that be a win? I think it would.

24 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

By all means, get Dawson Knox to drag him down to tight, end university along with him this summer

Just now, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I have been saying for years that a 2 TE offense is the way to go. We can stay in our base offense and do whatever we want. No more Diggs double and triple teams this year.

And no more tipping off weather, pass or run you can do either out of a two tiedown set

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Yeah, I really liked what Bing did as far as position in this draft there were certain positions that were said to have stronger talent than others, and that this was not an incredibly strong draft. Overall, one of the positions of strength was tight end, so being took the best tight

And all this comparing him to Pitts I don’t understand why a player hast to be compared to the most freak athlete at a position to be determined whether it’s a success or not suppose Dalton ends up being Mike Gasecki would that be a win? I think it would.

Well that's kinda the point.... what is the success criteria. In most drafts would I call Mike Gesicki style production from a 1st round tight end a win? No. In this draft would I? Possibly. Although I think he is more Hunter Henry than Mike Gesicki in terms of style. Henry went early 2nd from memory, Gesicki a little later round 2. 

I certainly see the fit. The offense needs someone besides Diggs that can uncover early. That will be especially useful in the red zone. So I’m guessing we will see a lot of 11 personnel when there’s a lot of field in front of us and a lot of 12 in the RZ. 

I only watched the ASU game so I haven’t seen a lot of film. I love his hands and route running. But I really hate his “blocking” and dislike that he’s an older prospect - he’ll be 24 in October. I’m not wild about the back injury either. Still, I really didn’t see a lot of better options out there at 25/27. I’d have much preferred a more aggressive trade up into the teens for JSN though. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Well that's kinda the point.... what is the success criteria. In most drafts would I call Mike Gesicki style production from a 1st round tight end a win? No. In this draft would I? Possibly. Although I think he is more Hunter Henry than Mike Gesicki in terms of style. Henry went early 2nd from memory, Gesicki a little later round 2. 

Well, in that case, then you’re right we should want to get a little bit more production out of Dalton since he was a first round pick

It’s been so long since we have had a player like this I need to see what it looks like on the field before I start making comparisons

We literally have not drafted an offensive player since Josh Allen in the first round

17 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Travis Kielce ran a 4.63 at the combine.  Just saying.  This is a player the Bills can use for matchups all over the field but I think he will be primarily a slot type, rarely in-line.  50% of snaps is probably a good expectation year 1.  He does not have to play every down to be impactful.  We will see how they are able to use the new weapon.  Should be fun.  

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He’s even got bigger upside than both of those guys coming out. He really is one of the few guys in this draft that pop when you watch them on tape. I don’t even care that he can’t block well because he’s going to pluck those Allen passes with ease as he creates his own holes ala Kelce-esqe, with his smooth route running and after the catch he’s got a little Kittle in him. After Flowers he is the most special pass catcher in this draft. Now we have to hope that Dorsey elevates his game this year and makes the best use of all his toys for Josh to play with

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.