Odell Beckham saga over! He signs with…..

DJB

How do the Ravens pay OBJ $18M and also pay Lamar Jackson?  Ain't gonna happen.  This is a clear message that Jackson is going to another team this coming season, and that the Ravens are going to start the search for their next franchise QB.

To me, this is all nuts.  I realize the NFL-agents-media complex wanted to punish Jackson for not employing an agent, but the Ravens are tossing away the services of their best player, one of the best in the NFL.  And for what?  An aging, injury-prone formerly excellent WR, who's getting close to retirement.  By the time the Ravens find their new QB, OBJ will be long gone, along with the Ravens' chances to unseat the Bengals in their division.

9 minutes ago, eball said:

Weird deal all around.  I guess it makes sense for OBJ from a purely financial perspective, but from a football perspective he picks a team without a QB proven to make receivers productive?  Maybe he just likes purple?  He did go to LSU…

For the Ravens, I don’t get it at all.  Health risk, QB questions…just an odd situation.  Whatever.

To me it feels like the Ravens got stupid looking for some good PR. And they were looking for a way to make Lamar a bit happier about playing on the tag this season. That’s all I got.

On OBJ’s side it is easy to see. No other team was going to come close to handing out that contract. $15M guaranteed is ridiculous for where he is now. 

15 minutes ago, nucci said:

why is there always criticism for players signing for the most money? Everyone here would do the same thing

I would usually take the most money, but I would also want to look at the working conditions, and the nature of what my duties would be in a new job.

Players always yammer away about wanting to win.  This move means the only way OBJ ever gets a ring is to use some of his millions to buy one from a hard-up retired veteran from an actual champion.

5 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I would usually take the most money, but I would also want to look at the working conditions, and the nature of what my duties would be in a new job.

Players always yammer away about wanting to win.  This move means the only way OBJ ever gets a ring is to use some of his millions to buy one from a hard-up retired veteran from an actual champion.

He got a ring with LA Rams two years ago...

5 minutes ago, Utah John said:

can't compare an NFL player to a regular job. He's a WR so his job duties are to catch the ball and working conditions with most NFL teams are pretty good. Nice facilities, food....free uniforms

Connor Hughes on Twitter: "Odell Beckham Jr. called the #Jets last night & gave them a chance to match the offer he got from the #Ravens, per sources. They were never going that high, though. Again, with Jets, he’s their No. 3. Ravens gave him a better deal. He took it." / Twitter

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

can't compare an NFL player to a regular job. He's a WR so his job duties are to catch the ball and working conditions with most NFL teams are pretty good. Nice facilities, food....free uniforms

Cost conscious owners have appointed Dave Gettleman as league wide proctor and cafeteria monitor to make sure nobody  gets too much.

"KELVIN BENJAMIN!!!  Put down that extra Twinkie!" 😠

• Haha (+1) 1

I don't understand why teams keep paying huge money for what seem to me to be declining or over-the-hill players. It's like they're paying for the player the guy was five years ago. 

Seems terribly dumb to me. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

To me it feels like the Ravens got stupid looking for some good PR. And they were looking for a way to make Lamar a bit happier about playing on the tag this season. That’s all I got.

On OBJ’s side it is easy to see. No other team was going to come close to handing out that contract. $15M guaranteed is ridiculous for where he is now. 

The Ravens want to incentivize Lamar to sign by signing OBJ. If giving OBJ 15mil helps Lamar get closer to signing and put pen to paper its WELL worth the lack of production they will receive  

9 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

He made the right choice at his age.  Secure the bag!  

Lamar will have him over 1,000 yards, easy, if he stays in Baltimore and OBJ is healthy.  

Why are we acting like Lamar Jackson is all of a sudden this great passing quarterback.

he never was that

Now he seems to be hurt all the time

40 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Very happy that the Bills didn't consider paying a past his prime receiver 15 million a year after tearing an ACL TWICE over the last few years, and before that a broken ankle.  Not worth it.

The Ravens would be much better with the TWO (needed) very good receivers they could have signed for that money.

What two good receivers can you sign for $15 million? 

20 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Why are we acting like Lamar Jackson is all of a sudden this great passing quarterback.

he never was that

Now he seems to be hurt all the time

he’s not but he has played with garbage. I didn’t want Beckham at any price but he is the best receiver Lamar has ever had, which is sad because he’s kinda broken. But this is their “Diggs move.” 

41 minutes ago, Utah John said:

How do the Ravens pay OBJ $18M and also pay Lamar Jackson?  Ain't gonna happen.  This is a clear message that Jackson is going to another team this coming season, and that the Ravens are going to start the search for their next franchise QB.

To me, this is all nuts.  I realize the NFL-agents-media complex wanted to punish Jackson for not employing an agent, but the Ravens are tossing away the services of their best player, one of the best in the NFL.  And for what?  An aging, injury-prone formerly excellent WR, who's getting close to retirement.  By the time the Ravens find their new QB, OBJ will be long gone, along with the Ravens' chances to unseat the Bengals in their division.

It’s a one year deal. 

39 minutes ago, Utah John said:

He has a ring and the Ravens are always good. Some of you act like he went to the Jags.  The Ravens have been one of the best franchises in the nfl for the last 20 years.

23 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What two good receivers can you sign for $15 million? 

he’s not but he has played with garbage. I didn’t want Beckham at any price but he is the best receiver Lamar has ever had, which is sad because he’s kinda broken. But this is their “Diggs move.” 

It’s a one year deal. 

He has a ring and the Ravens are always good. Some of you act like he went to the Jags.  The Ravens have been one of the best franchises in the nfl for the last 20 years.

It’s a huge risk
Diggs has never shredded, his knee, knock on wood the way that obj has

51 minutes ago, Strethor said:

The Ravens want to incentivize Lamar to sign by signing OBJ. If giving OBJ 15mil helps Lamar get closer to signing and put pen to paper its WELL worth the lack of production they will receive  

It does not incentivize Lamar to work out a long term deal. It only incentivizes him to play on the tag this year. I’d argue that overspending on OBJ for 1 year instead of using that cap space to acquire a longer term solution at WR actually de-incentivizes Lamar from signing long term.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.