MLB Jack Campbell #53 in the top 100 of The Athletic... is this our guy???

40 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Interesting article: 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/jack-campbell-nfl-draft-2023-interview/

Two excerpts I find interesting...

JM: You recently connected with Luke Kuechly to work some position drills. That sounds like an amazing opportunity and partnership. He’s one of the greatest linebackers to ever play the game. What was that like?

Jack Campbell: Getting to spend a week with Luke Kuechly was amazing. We first connected at the Butkus Award ceremony. He came down to Irvine, California where I was training. We spent so much good time together.

I wanted to dive in on how he breaks down film. I wanted to know what a normal week looked like for Kuechly in the NFL. I also gained a ton of valuable information on what kind of specific position work he was doing. I basically wanted to learn about everything he did that allowed him to go out there and dominate on Sundays. 

He played the game at the highest level imaginable. Like you said, he’s one of the best middle linebackers of all time. Anything I could learn from him, I was just trying to be a sponge. He taught me about NFL defenses and how those systems are set up. It’s going to be a little bit different from the scheme I played in at Iowa. We dropped and played coverage a little differently than the NFL does.

It was such an amazing experience. I broke down so many different things with him. I definitely picked up tips and tricks that I’ll be using in the future. I’m implementing those things into my game.

JM: Have you completed any Top 30 visits, private workouts, or Zoom meetings?

Jack Campbell: I’ve had several teams reach out to me via Zoom. I’ve had a lot of good opportunities there. I completed a few Top 30 visits as well. Out of respect to them, I’m going to keep that information confidential. I’ve had a lot of fun getting to know all of these coaches. I’m experiencing different things and meeting new people. My childhood dream is coming true.

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Just to add, I have been saying that I believe that Jack Campbell has been on a number of visits but they have not been reported and there is a reason why. He is only true MLB in this draft. 

Now does that mean the Bills are trying to keep it quiet? Who knows. But he is clearly saying he is keeping it quiet and I think it's clear that those teams have directed him to do so.

Does that mean it's the Bills? I can't fathom why he wouldn't be someone they wanted. Who knows if they are one of those teams, but it is interesting. 

While I'm not enthused about the idea of taking him at #27, these are high value posts.

Thank you.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/16/2023 at 9:20 AM, nosejob said:

Campbell is an above-average run stuffer, a borderline elite defender in coverage, and an underutilized pass rusher. His leadership ability is second-to-none, and he will be a force in the middle of the defense for the next 12-15 years. Campbell is an All-Pro MIKE. Stamp it.

NFL Draft Grade: Mid-to-Late Day 1      This is from the article.  I can't see a better, safer, more impactful player at 27....period.

If Campbell were that good, he'd be a lock inside the top 20 picks. He's not.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

If Campbell were that good, he'd be a lock inside the top 20 picks. He's not.

LBs are all about fit.

We know how they are valued as well.

But we do need one badly imo and I like this guy. Not the best fit but Bills could tweak for him a tinch
Once we trade for Hopkins and get back that 34 from Card ? Great spot to pick Jack up

I have been good with Campbell as a Bill all along, to be on record here :) 

• Like (+1) 2

Either at 27 or in a slight trade down

Captain Jack Campbell

Some people are going to hate this pic I think that need and value match up here

If we go Captain Jack with the first pic, I hope that the second pic is on Marvin Mims wide receiver

Jack Campbell fits this defense perfectly and yes, the linebacker crop this year is horrible, but the two at the top are starters for their teams for years

Jack Campbell has the instincts that we are looking for. He is super athletic and doesn’t get enough credit for it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 3
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Captain Jack Campbell

Some people are going to hate this pic I think that need and value match up here

If we go Captain Jack with the first pic, I hope that the second pic is on Marvin Mims wide receiver

Jack Campbell fits this defense perfectly and yes, the linebacker crop this year is horrible, but the two at the top are starters for their teams for years

Jack Campbell has the instincts that we are looking for. He is super athletic and doesn’t get enough credit for it.

Thanks for promoting Mims. I dont see why there hasn't been more talk about him. 

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

He’s not a first round pick or even a high second rounder. I get it need, Kuechly, size etc but at 59 sure I can go for it 

He just won’t be there at our second pack no way

I would prefer a trade down to get him, but whenever you’re talking about a player that could be one of the cornerstones of your defense for years and you have virtually no one to play the position on your team. The chances of that player getting picked are high.

The real question that we should be asking is if they don’t get one of the top 2 to 3 linebackers who is going to play that position for us next year while we’re trying to make a championship run

But I’m also one of the people that think that people really devalue Tremaine Edmunds while he was here

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

He just won’t be there at our second pack no way

I would prefer a trade down to get him, but whenever you’re talking about a player that could be one of the cornerstones of your defense for years and you have virtually no one to play the position on your team. The chances of that player getting picked are high.

The real question that we should be asking is if they don’t get one of the top 2 to 3 linebackers who is going to play that position for us next year while we’re trying to make a championship run

But I’m also one of the people that think that people really devalue Tremaine Edmunds while he was here

MLBs are a devalued position in 2023 and aren’t needed to be superior like they were in the 70s-90s. 

You need to be able to cover and rush the passer on defense. Name me 15 MLBs currently in the NFL without looking it up and the team they play on. I don’t think I can tbh. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

As Sal mentioned earlier, if the Bills take LB at 27 they are basically indicting their own 3rd round pick last year as a total failure

which is fine, if true, I’d rather an accurate assessment now rather than forcing a bad fit further. It’s not like 3 rounders are slam dunks. You evaluate and either give opportunities or move on. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Captain Jack Campbell

A MLB is not the difference to help us get over the top. This would be beyond bad. 

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

MLBs are a devalued position in 2023 and aren’t needed to be superior like they were in the 70s-90s. 

You need to be able to cover and rush the passer on defense. Name me 15 MLBs currently in the NFL without looking it up and the team they play on. I don’t think I can tbh. 

I think this is the key. There are other positions that merit the earlier picks. Outside of positional value, I just don't think Campbell is as good as his enthusiasts believe he is.

10 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

As Sal mentioned earlier, if the Bills take LB at 27 they are basically indicting their own 3rd round pick last year as a total failure

It would not be the first time that they have pulled the plug on a player. Bernard is not a middle linebacker.

Edited by John from Riverside

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.