MLB Jack Campbell #53 in the top 100 of The Athletic... is this our guy???

21 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

DT is a bigger need than C/G. 

I wouldn't mind if they took Kancey at 27 and I agree with you.  But, if Nolan Smith is sitting there.....

EDIT: The above only if Campbell's gone.

Edited by nosejob

I think we will start seeing Campbell mocked more in the first round and it may change people's perspectives of his value. 

Like Luke Keuchy in 2012...early mock drafts had him early 2 late 1...then the process played out and he started to be in the top 15 discussions. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, nosejob said:

Maybe at 205.  We need a LB / C/G / WR / S in the 1st 4 picks in some order....and don't discount that there could be a day 1 starter at corner at 27.  It wouldn't surprise me to hear the BPA bit there.

The CB at 27 thought hurts, but the more I think about it the more it seems a possibility.  It would not only be insurance for Tre but could help finances down the not so distant road.  If the FO thinks there is a Tre White level talent at 27, it might happen.  I think that would take S out though - kind of redundant.

I'd rather see a top quality, first pick of the LBs, taken.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

When it comes to Campbell and the other backers, I worry more about the Lions. I could see them taking Campbell at 18 even, since they have another first in the top ten, they could reach a little. He seems like he would be a Campbell guy literally. 

This is what Charlie Campbell has happening in his latest mock draft (that's 3 Campbells for those keeping track). I consider him as plugged in as anyone regarding the draft. He has heard from his team sources that Campbell is likely to go in the back half of the 1st round. Anyone hoping we can trade back into the 2nd and still get him, dream on. Athletic specimens with great character traits don't make it that far.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Campbell actually tested better than Sanders in everything but the 40. 4.65 to 4.59. 

image.thumb.png.fba48bedad88234fb0a591eca47ace92.png

And Sanders is 14# lighter.  Which at 6'4" seems wiry.  I'd like to see Campbell get into an NFL S&C program and get to say 245# and see how much faster and quicker he is.

As for where to take him, trust the scouting and if he(or someone else) is considered the top MLB, take him at 27 and don't get cute trying to trade back, and possibly losing him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Fans are too worried about drafting Campbell at 27. If drafted at 27 he’ll be a 5 year starter, eventually named captain, and probably top 100 tackles per season.

There is little chance we’ll look back and wish we drafted someone else.

I understand value. I would love to trade back and still get our starting MLB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'd prefer Campbell over Sanders and Simpson.  

I think Campbell is the best combination of football intelligence and athleticism at LB in this draft, and will likely pick up the NFL game much faster than Sanders/Simpson.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I'd prefer Campbell over Sanders and Simpson.  

I think Campbell is the best combination of football intelligence and athleticism at LB in this draft, and will likely pick up the NFL game much faster than Sanders/Simpson.  

Campbell does seem to have the highest floor of the group.  His position, while not completely devalued, is a tough one to be a real difference maker at.  There could be worse picks than him there, but probably not going to get a big game-changer that stuffs stat sheets.  Of course, far easier to quantify impact of skill positions.

55 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The CB at 27 thought hurts, but the more I think about it the more it seems a possibility.  It would not only be insurance for Tre but could help finances down the not so distant road.  If the FO thinks there is a Tre White level talent at 27, it might happen.  I think that would take S out though - kind of redundant.

I'd rather see a top quality, first pick of the LBs, taken.

If one of the good corners are available at #27, I think it would give Beane one of the few good chances to trade down!

If it's a weak draft, there won't be a lot of players teams are willing to trade up to get.

6 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Joe B’s Athletic article today:

Lions get Nos. 27 and 137, Bills get Nos. 48, 55, 183, 194

Bills picks after trade: Nos. 48, 55, 59, 91, 130, 183, 194, 205

Bills pick Campbell at 48, Marvin Mims at 55, Antonio Johnson at 59.

Idk CFB like that but sounds good compensation wise

39 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

If one of the good corners are available at #27, I think it would give Beane one of the few good chances to trade down!

If it's a weak draft, there won't be a lot of players teams are willing to trade up to get.

Absolutely. 

We are stacked at CB.  I don't see any scenario we go CB unless on day 3.

5 quality starters for 3 positions 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Thanks!  I'll take any input here. 

There do appear to be a lot of undersized "run" guys in that 4-5 range.  Williams from Tulane is my top guy in that range, Banks (Tenn) and Horton (not undersized, however) from TCU is interesting. There is a Pitt LB that is also interesting (Sir something), although he is more 5-6 range.  

Interested in if you have any targets in that range that stick out? 

I haven’t really watched much of anyone outside the top 10 as I don’t think we’d be looking to draft multiple LBs (especially with 6 picks).  Being that we have a huge hole @ mlb right now, I think we’d be looking at drafting guys inside the top 10.

if we don’t draft a top 3- I think we’ll go with Henley, Sewell, pappoe, to’oto’o, Dorian Williams, Overshown 

Banks looks interesting- movement skills at the combine were impressive-  

Dennis is interesting- good tackler but on the smaller side and might not be able to play inside too well

I’m just thinking that these guys don’t have the size McD is looking for.  A Free agent prove it deal might be our best option for 23-  evans, Cunningham, Jones, Littleton, van noy, Jayon brown or even Klein.  Not great options- but vets that would likely be better than the guys outside the top 10

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I guess this is not too bad.  Fan of Mims, but no IOL help is a huge issue.  OL get hurt, it's part of the game.  I want one (or both) of Tippman or Avila in the 1st 3 rounds.  I could pass on Johnson in the above, we are set at safety next year, and then go after Robinson (FSU) later in the draft.  

Love Mims.Ran a faster 40 than Hyatt. He's going to develop very nicely at the next level. If we don't prioritize WR in the first 2 rounds I'd be happy with him in the 3rd or later. I suspect he's moving up the board now though.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I hope that would happen.  Same with the RB B Robinson, excellent trade bait.  Could then move down a little and get the LB and IOL.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I hope that would happen.  Same with the RB B Robinson, excellent trade bait.  Could then move down a little and get the LB and IOL.

Seriously? If Robinson is there at 27 you sprint to the podium to grab him. He would blow the top off and already explosive offense. This would be an all-time ultimate value pick!

29 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

Seriously? If Robinson is there at 27 you sprint to the podium to grab him. He would blow the top off and already explosive offense. This would be an all-time ultimate value pick!

The hope is some team will feel just like you do, great trade bait.

We just picked up an excellent RB for under $2M, and we let our decent LB go for $18M.  

15 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The hope is some team will feel just like you do, great trade bait.

We just picked up an excellent RB for under $2M, and we let our decent LB go for $18M.  

It would be full-fledged insanity not to make the pick in that unlikely scenario. Harris is a solid back. He has not proved to be excellent in a sustained manner and we all know how injury prone he is. We are talking about a top-five talent in the draft who falls to number 27.

The offensive line and other needs can be met with other draft picks and other ways. No GM in his right mind would pass on this pick in that scenario? Look at it this way, if they got them what a great three headed monster we would have at running back. Or, you’ve noted it yourself, Harris comes in on the cheap. It would be easy enough to let him go without any skin off the salary cap nose.  To me this is football 101. Harris can’t come close to doing for our offense compared to what Robinson could do. This is the epitome of a no-brainer

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.