McDermott hammers point about Allen running less and sliding. Says it MUST change next year...

Big Turk

McDermott is publicly stating what most of us have been saying.  That alone is a big tell what goes on at OBD.

What combination of responsibility that is between Josh and Dorsey is immaterial, they both are part of that.

I'll add that Beane has responsibility in this too.  He has started to put resources into the OL and has to continue in the draft.

I got no problem with McDermott getting a little tougher with coaches and players.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Sit his ass for a series to make the point if needed, Josh can’t be so “ignorant” as to purposefully put the entire team’s future in jeopardy, and that’s how you put It to him,  he will learn. It’s good that his Boss is driving this point home. 

What good will come from such blatant disrespect to our franchise QB? We need to keep him happy and focused on winning. No need for a power struggle.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

What good will come from such blatant disrespect to our franchise QB? We need to keep him happy and focused on winning. No need for a power struggle.

Besides McDermott will lose a power struggle with Josh. That's why he hasn't been made to slide less over the years. This is far from the 1st time we've heard this from McDermott or Beane.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Besides McDermott will lose a power struggle with Josh. That's why he hasn't been made to slide less over the years. This is far from the 1st time we've heard this from McDermott or Beane.

Yep. Josh will be a Bill the next 10-12 years. McD may not make it past next year.

Terry is writing far bigger checks to Josh than McD.

Josh does what Josh wants as long as we're winning.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yep. Josh will be a Bill the next 10-12 years. McD may not make it past next year.

McDermott will be here the next decade too. Sorry to burst your bubble.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

He's a very admirable fella. If he's here for the next decade, that means Josh Allen and the Bills have won at least one SB, so I hope you are right.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

To add to that, Josh is by far the single biggest reason we've been so successful over the last 4 years. McDermott or Beane leave, we will still win. Josh leaves and let The Drought Part II begin.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I dont want him gone. I HOPE he is here for a long time because that means we're winning. Superficially, I really just meant contract-wise.

But... if you've already "fired" your DC and have to take over play-calling as a last resort of accountability, then his seat is warming up. And if we have another typical collapse, Terry wont have much of a choice.

We already made the first step towards the big change.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

18 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

For what it's worth, both injuries he's dealt with in his NFL career happened in the pocket. 

He’s had more than 2 injuries though. He got concussed against the Patriots in 2019 running for a first down and he injured his shoulder scrambling to the sideline against the Raiders in 2020. Still agree with the rest of your post though.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I'm almost wondering which path leads to a higher injury risk because you know he's never going to go into full on protection mode. I think the worse place he can be is in between who he is and who others want him to be. That's where injuries will happen. 

I think there is a lot of nuance to the Josh should/shouldn’t run critique. 

- He doesn’t run like Mahomes. A lot of the time he isn’t evading pressure, picking up positive yards, and getting out of bounds. He almost seeks out contact like Lynch or AP. 

- Josh takes off to run when he doesn’t see the whole field. 

- The OL sucks.

Josh needs to take off less/see the field better and get down/out of bounds when he does. AND we need to fix the OL. All of those things are true. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Said it is unsustainable the way he is playing football and being wreckless at times. Says history has shown it and says they talk about it all the time but the message doesn't seem to have gotten through enough and says it HAS to change next year.

Brought it up multiple times during the interview apparently.

Pretty strong message being sent from McD. Should make all the people freaking out about Allen running so much happy...

Battista: McDermott 'louder than ever' in his emphasis on Josh Allen needing to slide

https://www.nfl.com/videos/battista-mcdermott-louder-than-ever-in-his-emphasis-on-josh-allen-needing-to-sli

He's right and Josh has too ween this out of his style or he won't play till 36+.  This doesn't mean the OL isn't without some blame here for Josh being forced to early scramble. We need a better running game and shorter passing attack like weeks 1-2.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No guarantee he is here 10-12 years. I think there are 5-6 left on his deal. If things go bad in Buffalo and Josh is still healthy and productive, he could earn another major deal.

1 minute ago, gobills404 said:

Also when he doesn’t slide

Your 2nd video was a pass from the pocket, but I know which play you meant to post against the Raiders. Wasnt he getting to the sideline tho?

And there was no possibility for him to slide in the 1st one.

Probably wouldve ended up with more cheap shots to the head like the Miami slide I posted above.

All in all, as a runner, it's better to do the hitting than get hit.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.