McDermott hammers point about Allen running less and sliding. Says it MUST change next year...

Big Turk

1 hour ago, Herb Nightly said:

No guarantee he is here 10-12 years. I think there are 5-6 left on his deal. If things go bad in Buffalo and Josh is still healthy and productive, he could earn another major deal.

Its been a while since someone not named AirSeven or Einstein has pissed me off here, but congrats! So you think its even a remote possibility Josh could leave in 5 - 6 years? Do you fart on your friends bday dinners?

• Haha (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I think you do your best to coach him up on it, and ive been hypercritical of the overused qb keepers, but i dont appreciate this running through the media. I guess i havent heard the tone of it, only reading this.  id rather him be harsh about it inside the locker room even as opposed to semi-soft through the media. kinda strange. sounds like Coach is really feeling the pressure already

It didn’t come across as desperate, or harsh. Sean was smiling , but it did come across as something firm and committed too. It really didn’t seem out of place IMO, and i agree with you about running things thru media.  It was just a common sense answer to a fair question in a relaxed McDermott interview.  Not a big issue in this case IMO, as he also was praising josh , yet stating even great players need to EVOLVE their game.  It was a positive affect , candid statement. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Josh has been getting better at it but maybe he wouldn't need to slide so much if we by year 6 had some resemblance of a running attack. You'd think by now we would've unlocked the mystical foundation to being able to run the ball.

But its unsustainable having your QB running for his life as soon as the ball is snapped.

Its unsustainable that this team chokes in big moments or that it makes grave coaching decisions at pivotal moments. If we could fix those too, that'd be great Coach.

8 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Its been a while since someone not named AirSeven or Einstein has pissed me off here, but congrats! So you think its even a remote possibility Josh could leave in 5 - 6 years? Do you fart on your friends bday dinners?

He can opt out after 2025

3 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

It didn’t come across as desperate, or harsh. Sean was smiling , but it did come across as something firm and committed too. It really didn’t seem out of place IMO, and i agree with you about running things thru media.  It was just a common sense answer to a fair question in a relaxed McDermott interview.  Not a big issue in this case IMO, as he also was praising josh , yet stating even great players need to EVOLVE their game.  It was a positive affect , candid statement. 

Why discuss this in public? It makes no sense. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Did he happen to mention whether he thought HCs needed to EVOLVE their game?

2 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

Josh is a peacock, you gotta let him fly!

Peacocks are at the top tier of the single worst/most annoying animals list. Had a few living wild in my neighborhood in Fort Lauderdale... they absolutely are awful animals... pretty though 

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, papazoid said:

what are the alternatives for josh ??  

stay in pocket and get sacked/injured  or throw ball away ......neither is desirable compared to the bills best rusher  doing his thing.

improve the OL and maybe he runs less

These are false choices. No one is saying he shouldn't scramble to keep plays alive or seek out easy yards with his legs.  It's about avoiding unnecessary contact at the loss of a yard or two, and not having to constantly take on defenders to prove you're an athletic beast/badass.  Everyone in the world knows Josh is a bad MF'er at this point.  He needs to use some common sense to increase the likelihood of a healthy, lengthy career.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Did he happen to mention whether he thought HCs needed to EVOLVE their game?

If the question was posed in the interview, I’m sure he would have answered. He stayed on topic. The nerve. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

No, the opposite. He'll butt heads with McDermott and stick up for himself, and there will be conflict between him and the head coach.

So, 

1 hour ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

The coach & gm have wanted it for the last 2-3 years, it has not happened. Funny they want him to quit running when 3 out of his 4 injuries have occurred behind the LOS. One could argue a quality OL would aid in his longevity better than him reducing his running attempts.

The poor O-line might very well have something to do with it…, 😁👍

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Why discuss this in public? It makes no sense. 

It was really just answering a reporter politely, not just going to coach speak immediately like he usually does.   I didn’t watch much , but caught that part and he didn’t state anything he and every analyst in the world hasn’t already stated.  I did see an interesting blurb by teddy bruschi, saying he thought if he was SEAN , he would go to ALLEN and negotiate with him to help make this happen early in the year; trust him the first part of the season to help avoid the hits accumulating , but telling ALLLEN when its later in the season or playoff time , its cut him loose time and he can run as he has. It was an interesting take on it , great way to help ALLEN  buy in and not feel limited in his style.  Coming from a former player , i thought it was a great compromise way to present it to josh , who IMO, does need to “HEAR” things in a way he will accept as best for the team and its presenting things in a cooperative fashion.  

What would you have had SEAN do ; say nothing meaningful , lacking any sincerity to a reporter who has a long association with the NFL and one he must talk to in the future ; ignore a politely asked question as there was no nefarious meaning behind the question ?  He was just being a good man, good BILLS representative for the organization, not just deflecting like some clown coaches do (rexy like)!  It was a harmless , classy answer , and people overreacting to it are being ridiculous and are just showing  proof they either didn’t see it or just are trolling to stroke their own need to be heard.   It was cordial , and much better than the typical coach speak crap that comes from this staff all in-season long. 😀👍. I hate the in-season tripe; this was at least a thoughtful answer and in no way would offend Josh. 

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

If the question was posed in the interview, I’m sure he would have answered. He stayed on topic. The nerve. 

No he would've just pointed his finger at someone else. Don't get me wrong, I like McDermott, but this struck a nerve for me. Keep it behind closed doors, he knows better.

2 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

I think Josh is at his best whe he's allowed to play almost without thinking. When he has to think things through, or have specific requests in mind, I think he can second guess himself which impacts his game. I fully appreciate what McDermott is saying, but am concerned it'll impact neagtively on Josh's style of play.

Agreed.  In the spring work on sliding and getting out of bounds.  Have Allen play his game during the season.  Leave Allen rushing for 50 plus yards for the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is on Josh and frankly I am not sure you can change him. 

So you can't change who he fundamentally is, but you can change how he applies who he is. 

Fundamentally, Josh Allen is very competitive.

So if you persuade him the best way to win is to give other people the ball and let them make plays, that's what he'll do.

If he gets into a mindset like "Sebastian the Frog" where "You want it done right, you got to do it yourself", he'll run.

Case in point: Josh ran less in 2019 and 2020.  Less attempts per game, less yards.  In 2019, he was given Brown and Beasley.  In 2020, Diggs.  So Josh saw that the way to win was to get those guys the ball and let them make plays.

In 2021, Emmanual Sanders was not what we hoped and Beasley had fallen off, and the run game was moribund, plus, teams had figured out how to defend us more effectively.  So, Josh ran more.

In 2022, even more so - the scheme was less effective, the way Josh was executing it was less effective, Josh went into "superhero" mode.

Get him more tools, and he'll use them.

3 hours ago, Momma Pecoraro said:

Dude needs a neuro-psychiatrist. Too much feast or famine not enough nibbling at the margins. 

INteresting perspective.

I think he had several.  One was named Lee Smith and he was traded to Atlanta in 2021.  One was named Daboll and is now coaching in NJ

34 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Peacocks are at the top tier of the single worst/most annoying animals list. Had a few living wild in my neighborhood in Fort Lauderdale... they absolutely are awful animals... pretty though 

The damage they do to black cars - yeah, looks ain't everything

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

So, 

The poor O-line might very well have something to do with it…, 😁👍

Yeah, don't get me wrong, are there times Josh needs to go down or get out of bounds, absolutely. But he's taken just as many, if not more, big hits from shoddy OL play than from running the ball. If his career is indeed shorten both would be pretty equally at fault. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So you can't change who he fundamentally is, but you can change how he applies who he is. 

Fundamentally, Josh Allen is very competitive.

So if you persuade him the best way to win is to give other people the ball and let them make plays, that's what he'll do.

If he gets into a mindset like "Sebastian the Frog" where "You want it done right, you got to do it yourself", he'll run.

Case in point: Josh ran less in 2019 and 2020.  Less attempts per game, less yards.  In 2019, he was given Brown and Beasley.  In 2020, Diggs.  So Josh saw that the way to win was to get those guys the ball and let them make plays.

In 2021, Emmanual Sanders was not what we hoped and Beasley had fallen off, and the run game was moribund, plus, teams had figured out how to defend us more effectively.  So, Josh ran more.

In 2022, even more so - the scheme was less effective, the way Josh was executing it was less effective, Josh went into "superhero" mode.

Get him more tools, and he'll use them.

INteresting perspective.

I think he had several.  One was named Lee Smith and he was traded to Atlanta in 2021.  One was named Daboll and is now coaching in NJ

The damage they do to black cars - yeah, looks ain't everything

Right! They used to sit in this big tree behind my house and squawk, they'd case the mail man (like sprint after the mail truck), sit on top of the cars and scratch them and poop on top of them...

Like, nope... still not sure, imagine this at all hours! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.