Bills Sign OG David Edwards

MAJBobby

7 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The depth of the O-line last year was pretty awful, Queese was the best backup on the o-line by a mile, and while I don't think Queese is a bad backup his being the best backup shows a strong lack of depth at the unit. 

Edwards and Queese being the backups are a nice place to start depth-wise. Ideally, I would like Beane to draft two O-line players one at RT and one at Center and sign another "kick the tires vet". Grabbing an heir apparent for Mitch and short-term depth at center can be achieved in rounds 3-5 while in round 2 grabbing a tackle to compete with Brown and add depth would be nice. That would give the Bills Edwards, Queese and two rookies off the bench add one more decent vet to go along with Ike as camp competition and I think you have a better deeper O-line unit. 

You also have Doyle, so that leaves 12 OL and means you'll be cutting three of them, plus any other lower rated players they may have as typically teams go wit h9 on the 53 man roster.

To me that's not a good use of money as likely cutting players you just gave a signing bonus too.  Granted not high bonuses, but when tight against the cap to start with, every $$ counts.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

You also have Doyle, so that leaves 12 OL and means you'll be cutting three of them, plus any other lower rated players they may have as typically teams go wit h9 on the 53 man roster.

To me that's not a good use of money as likely cutting players you just gave a signing bonus too.  Granted not high bonuses, but when tight against the cap to start with, every $$ counts.

I assume Doyle will be a camp body and then placed on IR to "red shirt" I also assume Ike will be a camp body unless he shows out or there is an injury. Ideally, I would like to see a top 9 Oliine that looks like this. 

Dawkins-McGovern-Mitch-Bates-Brown

Bench: Queese, Edwards, 2nd round rookie tackle, and a mid-round rookie center. 

I would then like to see a vet tackle or guard brought in to push Edwards and Queese for depth or allow the team to carry a 10th O-line player which I am not against. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So who are you cutting?

They now have inside Morse, Bates, McGovern, Ike B, & Edwards.  Quez even played some guard last season.  That's 5, normally all a team carries and have 3 guys who can play center. 

Unless it's a sixth or seventh round draft pick can get away with cutting him and moving him to PS, anything higher, they risk another team grabbing him.  To me it doesn't make much sense to draft or sign guys in the spring, play them signing bonus to then turn around and cut.  I know they did it last year with Howard, but not good use of money.

I think Ike is short man on this list, can see us cutting him and if qualifies put on the PS. 

Appears to be a good signing, 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

The OL needs a nickname....I say the "Beach Chair Boys"...They are mostly big pasty white guys, other than Dion, you would see hanging out on beach chairs lathered in sunscreen wearing a bucket hat...Boettger, McGovern, Bates, Edwards, Quessenberry, Tommy Doyle, Brown, Morse 

Thats 1 beach I’m never going to.

• Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

He started a lot of games in LA so he will complete for a starting job

yea, I had not realized it till after I posted and ran off grocery shopping, listening to WGR. good call sir. 

4 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

“Was” a fun thing to do from 2002-2010….it’s played out now!

get over it

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

“Was” a fun thing to do from 2002-2010….it’s played out now!

Says who,  you aren’t the boss of us…, 😁

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

He is a Solid young OG.  His issues are he is hurt alot.  I think if healthy will be a nice swing OG for us

Is he?  (hurt a lot).  He only played 4 games last season, but prior to that seems to have been pretty sturdy.

-dnp the first 6 games of his rookie year 2019, played 100% of the snaps game 7 through 16

-dnp the first game of 2020 and half of the 2nd game, came in and played the rest of the season, but missed the two playoff games

-2021, played 100% of the snaps in ever regular season game and all 4 playoff games except, taken out for 4 snaps in blowout against the Jaguars week 13

-2022 missed 1 game in concussion protocol, came back the following week, suffered 2nd concussion in 2 weeks, went on IR, missed rest of season

So I don't think the issue is he's hurt a lot.  I think the issue is he had a scary series of concussions last season, 2 in 2 weeks.  It may say he tried to come back too soon from the 1st concussion (essentially, a Tua-type situation). 

He's this season's "I need a Guy to help teach my technique" for Kromer, except younger and potentially way more tread on his tires than Saffold had left.  Hopefully fully recovered from his concussion symptoms and will undergo whatever mental training and mitigating strategies he can come up with - me, I'd be "Lemme take my $5.6M earnings and go enjoy life" but if a guy feels he's

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I assume Doyle will be a camp body and then placed on IR to "red shirt" I also assume Ike will be a camp body unless he shows out or there is an injury.

Isn't Doyle rehabbing a torn ACL as of the end of September?  Chances seem good he starts the season on PUP.

29 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I think Ike is short man on this list, can see us cutting him and if qualifies put on the PS. 

Ike was rehabbing an Achilles last season and saw a mighty 6 snaps in week 15.  Obviously they wouldn't have re-upped him if they didn't think there was a chance he could come back, and most players who do come back take a year, but I think there's a real question as to whether he can return to what he was - and then a 2nd question as to whether what he was, is good enough.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don't think that is a fair question in this instance. So far this offseason the Rams have lost: 

David Edwards

Greg Gaines

David Long

Nick Scott

Riley Dixon 

Baker Mayfield

Their long snapper

Their kicker

Probably Taylor Rapp

And Cut: 

Bobby Wagner

Leonard Floyd

Traded:

Jalen Ramsey

They will likely cut or trade 

Allen Robinson

They don't appear to have much interest in retaining anyone. 

This is known as a tank. Try and get a franchise qb and recoup draft picks

As Edwards and Bates both have some experience at center,  is there a chance that Morse has had enough concussions and walks away?   He’s been dinged up a few times over the last couple of seasons.   I realize that Edwards had a concussion last season but don’t think he’s had multiple like Morse.  Now we’ve got two bigger, younger players to possibly step up.

Edited by f0neguy
Typed Williams instead of Edwards by mistake
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.