Beane again showing why he is a top GM

Success

1 hour ago, Billl said:

What did he do that puts him above being judged beyond seeing how the season plays out?  He signed a 31 year old pass rusher in June after multiple misses in the draft in Epenesa and Basham a day after he gave Oliver a $68 million extension.  If it works, it was a great move.  If it doesn’t, he shouldn’t get a pass, though.

My post was more about the totality of the moves since the offseason started.

And Floyd is 30, btw.

Edited by Success

On 3/15/2023 at 6:25 PM, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Unless the draft can land us a competent Head Coach, our biggest liability will still remain

Love to see the universal praise/support for McClappy slowly eroding from this forum.

More will follow after another failed campaign this year.

• Dislike 3

1 hour ago, Billl said:

What did he do that puts him above being judged beyond seeing how the season plays out?  He signed a 31 year old pass rusher in June after multiple misses in the draft in Epenesa and Basham a day after he gave Oliver a $68 million extension.  If it works, it was a great move.  If it doesn’t, he shouldn’t get a pass, though.

Lol.  Troll boy continues.  

he’s talking about the roster that’s been assembled.  He has his share of misses.  Just like every GM, veach included

the same roster that the major of entire world thought was the best in football last season.  And it was.  The roster beat KC in KC again.  Then injuries (and a teammate dying on the field) ended the season.  While KC remained healthy.  Luck is involved.  Ask the 2020 chief team.  

Starting the offseason 20M over the cap- Beane upgraded the OL, WR, TE, RB Pass rush and secondary. 

I agree with the @Success.  Beane did a helluva job and now it’s on the players, coaches and the all powerful.  The team is championship caliber.  Just like last season. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Love to see the universal praise/support for McClappy slowly eroding from this forum.

Weird way to support a team, enjoying failure? Was you cheering when the drought ended?

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Well if that happens..next man up 

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Still no factual proof that we are. I’m with you. I think we will be better. But to say for a fact that we are, or that on paper we are, is a false. 

I consider Kincaid a huge upgrade @ slot WR.  Semantics can be used to say that’s not true. But it is true.

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I consider Kincaid a huge upgrade @ slot WR.  Semantics can be used to say that’s not true. But it is true.

I would love to hear anyone try and make the case that the team isn't lightyears better than last year at slot even if the label on the guy who might be filling that role has TE next to his name on the TV screen.  And that's not even taking into consideration the other WRs we signed and another year under the belt for Shakir.

We we're literally pulling guys out of retirement last season.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Just saying we have no way to prove that until they start playing. The way McD brings his rookies along slowly and lack of experience would make it more likely that he won’t be as big of an upgrade in year 1 as we would hope. 

and my argument is more directed at the moves to WR that we’ve made. I agreed that we upgraded at TE. And I get that Kincaid is likely more of a WR than a TE, but the fact is he’s still listed as a TE. 

2 hours ago, mrags said:

Still no factual proof that we are. I’m with you. I think we will be better. But to say for a fact that we are, or that on paper we are, is a false. 

Have to disagree with you.  Who did we lose that would make us better last year? Do you think there's not a McKenzie replacement on the roster? Or a concern there's not?

I'd like to think Davis and Shakir should be better.  And I think someone from Harty, Sherfield or Shakir should bring McKenzie production from one alone.

Additionally there's some very interesting other FA's and rookies to monitor. 

Only thing that would give me pause about being certain we're better is; where is Diggs?  Could this potential issue between he and Josh be a problem?

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Wait, you're increasingly pleased by your own perception/prediction of declining Bills fan satisfaction with team leadership, and looking forward to it getting worse?

What a loser mentality.

I'm happy when the team succeeds. I TRY to keep my own ego separate from my fandom. How foolish, to seek ego-validation instead of selfless celebration. 

9 hours ago, mrags said:

I think we’ve upgraded in every position with the exception of LB and WR. Nothing proves that we’ve upgraded. At least not yet. 

Regarding wide receiver
I wouldn’t necessarily: upgrading, but I feel like they have definitely addressed the depth

Trent Sherfield was the number three receiver for Miami now people might not think that that is a thing but Miami has very good receivers to be the third receiver on a team with very good receivers. Actually does say something.

Guys like Sherfield and Harti our upgrades over back ups that we currently had

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, mrags said:

Just saying we have no way to prove that until they start playing. The way McD brings his rookies along slowly and lack of experience would make it more likely that he won’t be as big of an upgrade in year 1 as we would hope. 

and my argument is more directed at the moves to WR that we’ve made. I agreed that we upgraded at TE. And I get that Kincaid is likely more of a WR than a TE, but the fact is he’s still listed as a TE. 

Being listed as a TE doesn’t change anything in my eyes.  What matters is what he will be for our offense. Capable of playing x, y and x. He’s going to line up everywhere. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Floyd is not an off-ball LB. He’s an edge defender that will be playing DE for the Bills. Just like Von.

Agree but my assessment involves the cumulative impact.  Sure losing Edmunds hurt in one area but adding Floyd helps in another.  I see it as a wash.  But I get that others would see it as a net loss.  But given the importance of pressuring the QB in today's NFL someone could also argue that Floyd for Edmunds represents a net plus.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, White Linen said:

Have to disagree with you.  Who did we lose that would make us better last year? Do you think there's not a McKenzie replacement on the roster? Or a concern there's not?

I'd like to think Davis and Shakir should be better.  And I think someone from Harty, Sherfield or Shakir should bring McKenzie production from one alone.

Additionally there's some very interesting other FA's and rookies to monitor. 

Only thing that would give me pause about being certain we're better is; where is Diggs?  Could this potential issue between he and Josh be a problem?

Again, I believe we will be better but facts don’t support it. 

McKenzie was no loss. He didn’t perform up to what we all hoped he could. But I’ve argued this in the past. None of the WRs we picked up have even put up statistically what McKenzie has in his career. Sherfields numbers are even worse. Not to mention that Harty has been incredibly unreliable when it comes to injured in his career. He’s missed 26 games over his 4 year career with an average of 6.5 games missed every year. 

again, I believe we might be better. But the facts don’t tell that story. 

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Regarding wide receiver
I wouldn’t necessarily: upgrading, but I feel like they have definitely addressed the depth

Trent Sherfield was the number three receiver for Miami now people might not think that that is a thing but Miami has very good receivers to be the third receiver on a team with very good receivers. Actually does say something.

Guys like Sherfield and Harti our upgrades over back ups that we currently had

Over backups like Kumerow and Shakir from last season sure. But not to a guy like Beasley 2 years ago, or even McKenzie last year. 

again. I’m not saying we might not have upgraded. The fact is McKenzie pretty much sucked. But if McKenzie was so bad, we shouldn’t be expecting either of these 2 to do any better because they literally never done better. 

28 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Being listed as a TE doesn’t change anything in my eyes.  What matters is what he will be for our offense. Capable of playing x, y and x. He’s going to line up everywhere. 

The argument I can get behind for sure. He’s going to be good imo. But that doesn’t mean it’s going to happen immediately. And like I said, we know the way McD doesn’t like/trust rookies to come in and get significant playing time right away. At least not on the offensive side of the ball. 

shakir

cook

hodgins

these guys all had ability that we could all see in limited time in camp and pre season. They all looked like they should be playing and never got The time they should have. Hell, they resigned an old man in John Brown and Beasley to come in before they gave Shakir a legit shot. That says something. 

Just now, mrags said:

The argument I can get behind for sure. He’s going to be good imo. But that doesn’t mean it’s going to happen immediately. And like I said, we know the way McD doesn’t like/trust rookies to come in and get significant playing time right away. At least not on the offensive side of the ball. 

shakir

cook

hodgins

these guys all had ability that we could all see in limited time in camp and pre season. They all looked like they should be playing and never got The time they should have. Hell, they resigned an old man in John Brown and Beasley to come in before they gave Shakir a legit shot. That says something. 

It’s not limited to rookies. What happened with Hines was borderline criminal. 

Huge disconnect between Beane/McDermott/Dorsey. 

Beane drafts/acquires players who end up collecting dust on the sidelines. 

Hopefully, they’ve sorted this out. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

It’s not limited to rookies. What happened with Hines was borderline criminal. 

Huge disconnect between Beane/McDermott/Dorsey. 

Beane drafts/acquires players who end up collecting dust on the sidelines. 

Hopefully, they’ve sorted this out. 

Yeah. There’s plenty of players it’s happened to. Guys that everyone can see had something to show and they didn’t think so. I just thought of 3 names off the top of my head. Yes, Hines was criminal. To make the trade for him then never play him at his position was stupid. And I like Hines, but why resign him? The league is moving away from the special teams game and they’ve signed multiple other backs this off-season as well. Pretty big waste of money for a guy that will never touch the ball if you ask me. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.