The Titans Are Shopping Henry

H2o

43 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I will never understand the lack of willingness by fans to add elite talent to the roster. 

Exactly, adding Henry makes our offense even more dangerous. 

the combo of him and Cook would be devastating for defenses to account for.

people act like they are spending their own money on the roster. The cap is mostly a myth, we can sign him if we want  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Several things can be simulataneouly true. 

1. It does not make sense to give up draft assets and $11 mm of cap space to sign Derrick Henry
  2. Item 1 is not the only option regarding Henry.

Trading for Henry is, IMO, a one season decision.  The only way it might make sense depends on what the teams plans are with Ed Oliver.  Oliver and Henry have almost exactly the same Salary Cap impact for the 2023 season. Both Henry and Oliver can likely be replaced with much more cost effective assets in any NFL draft. The Bills can't just cut Oliver and recover the cap space.  If the Bills plan to move on from Oliver after the 2023 season AND if the Titans in an effort to accomodate Henry were willing to trade Henry straight up for Oliver, the question becomes a one season question.  Would the Bills be better in 2023 with Henry, or with Oliver.   Personally I think the anwser is they would be better with Henry.  

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Chaos said:

1. It does not make sense to give up draft assets and $11 mm of cap space to sign Derrick Henry

Trading for Henry is, IMO, a one season decision.  The only way it might make sense depends on what the teams plans are with Ed Oliver.  Oliver and Henry have almost exactly the same Salary Cap impact for the 2023 season. Both Henry and Oliver can likely be replaced with much more cost effective assets in any NFL draft. The Bills can't just cut Oliver and recover the cap space.  If the Bills plan to move on from Oliver after the 2023 season AND if the Titans in an effort to accomodate Henry were willing to trade Henry straight up for Oliver, the question becomes a one season question.  Would the Bills be better in 2023 with Henry, or with Oliver.   Personally I think the anwser is they would be better with Henry.  

The Bills can restructure his contract if they signed him.

Also, elite players help win Superbowls.

Henry is a top 3 back in the league, paired with Josh, Diggs, Knox, etc. our offense gets very scary.

People think Henry was good with zero semblance of a passing game, imagine teams having to plan to stop those Bills.

It can be true that we would get way more value out of his 11m per year than the Titans ever did. This doesn’t mean he would have more yards, TDs, etc with the Bills but that his presence would mean more because of everything else that needs to be accounted for. 

why is everyone so scared of the CAP? We can get 50 million under the cap without doing much at all 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Henry would be an exciting add, but I don't know that it makes sense.  RB is the easiest position to acclimate too, so I would think if there was a hole that the Bills would be comfortable with youth from the draft at it would be RB.  

Someone suggested we trade Oliver, and I do think trading Oliver in general makes sense as I have a hard time seeing us pay up to keep him next year.  But I don't think trading Oliver for a short term option at RB makes sense, I would think Beane would rather get draft assets that can infuse youth and longer term players into the roster.  

The other things to consider here are that Henry wasn't nearly as effective before Titans built up their OL into one of the best.  And our OL needs a lot of work, so not sure Henry just walks in and plays at the same level here unless we can significantly improve the OL, which acquiring Henry might limit our ability to do so.  Then you have the mileage and high use of him combined with his age.  I think about guys like Shaun Alexander who just instantly fell off a cliff earlier than expected thanks to the power run style and high use rate.  

Would I be excited if Henry was a Bill...sure...do I think it would happen, doubtful.  

I agree on all fronts.  The only point I might counter is, who would make a bigger difference on the team, Oliver or Henry, both are paid basically the same and both will likely be gone after the year so it’s kind of a push in that respect.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

assuming we ditch oliver or someone who won't impact and this won't stop us getting wr/te/ol which we really need (or i suppose pass rush if that drops in our laps, but less likely imo), then yeah i'd totally spend pegula's money on a sick power back to complete our team.

now, if it's him or some sick OT who lets us move dawk inside, then ya, i take the OT.  I'd even take an OG if the guy was top 10 level or maybe could also move to C when we lose morse.

presuming they get jackson back, i think the biggest impact would be for henry to go to baltimore, tho.  that team when they were cruising in 2019 was just a beast.

15 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I think he's one of the most amazing players in the history of the sport but I question whether he is a fit. I think OL investments make more sense given our scheme. 

Narrow thinking. Titans might trade Henry for Oliver.  No NFL team is trading a good olinemen under contract to Oliver. The Oliver for Henry trade concept has zero impact on improving the line. Does not help. Does not hurt. 

8 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

This is called a: word salad. ONE rational claim (that Henry is a known, reliable commodity) is buried within an unnecessarily verbose and obscured post, thereby raising logical red flags for all reasonable participants. 

100%

This quoted response does NOTHING to convince us of the autonomous, human origins of "your" prior post. 

Thank you for that, Grammar meister. Nothing in your name does anything to convince you aren’t a Richard head.

29 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Narrow thinking. Titans might trade Henry for Oliver.  No NFL team is trading a good olinemen under contract to Oliver. The Oliver for Henry trade concept has zero impact on improving the line. Does not help. Does not hurt. 

I didn't realize we were writing Oliver off that quickly. Isn't he still on a rookie contract?

38 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Trade Oliver’s contract for Henry’s is interesting. Basically the same amount. 

1 hour ago, Ghs24mike said:

The Bills can restructure his contract if they signed him.

Also, elite players help win Superbowls.

Henry is a top 3 back in the league, paired with Josh, Diggs, Knox, etc. our offense gets very scary.

People think Henry was good with zero semblance of a passing game, imagine teams having to plan to stop those Bills.

It can be true that we would get way more value out of his 11m per year than the Titans ever did. This doesn’t mean he would have more yards, TDs, etc with the Bills but that his presence would mean more because of everything else that needs to be accounted for. 

why is everyone so scared of the CAP? We can get 50 million under the cap without doing much at all 

Bingo!!  We’d have the best offense since SB Bills, maybe better.  

22 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Yeah, idc if he’s “just” a running back. If there’s any possible way to bring this beast in, you do it. Pass first offense or not, Henry immediately brings a gigantic threat of a running game. 

Can we resign Edmunds and trade him straight up to the Titans for Henry?  They just released a couple decent LB's.  Maybe knucklehead Vrabel can throw in a 3rd or 4th back to us as well?

That makes sense to me, Henry has two or three years at best and the Titans seem to be rebuilding.   I'd love for him to be added to the Bills but I don't know how they fit that salary in.  He would certainly make the offense more balanced and would likely open up the passing game for Allen because teams would have to respect the running game.   I don't think he will be coming here though.  I'd give up a couple of second round picks if the Titans eat some of the salary

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

I agree, we’d be better in 2023 with Henry.  Only thing is, why would the titans make that trade?  They get nothing but a 1 year rental DT.  I would think that if the titans are going to trade him, they’d want at least one draft pick higher than rd 5.

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I agree, we’d be better in 2023 with Henry.  Only thing is, why would the titans make that trade?  They get nothing but a 1 year rental DT.  I would think that if the titans are going to trade him, they’d want at least one draft pick higher than rd 5.

Depends if they think he could be part of their future.  Would probably depend on how they felt about him heading into the draft.  

No commitment to a QB.  No big $$ RB.  They could afford to pair Simmons and Oliver if they want.  

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Depends if they think he could be part of their future.  Would probably depend on how they felt about him heading into the draft.  

No commitment to a QB.  No big $$ RB.  They could afford to pair Simmons and Oliver if they want.  

Yeah I suppose, but they could just sign him as a FA and get a pick for Henry.  Seems like a sideways move with very little benefit.  I am and always have been a huge Ed Oliver supporter and had high hopes for him.  I just don’t think he has what it takes to be a great DT-  I think he would’ve become that guy by now.

But you’re right, maybe the titans think he and Simmons could be great together.  I just think I’d want at least a 4th rd pick for him.  Potential starter with a 4 year contract making a mill a year.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.