The Titans Are Shopping Henry

H2o

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Henry would be an exciting add, but I don't know that it makes sense.  RB is the easiest position to acclimate too, so I would think if there was a hole that the Bills would be comfortable with youth from the draft at it would be RB.  

Someone suggested we trade Oliver, and I do think trading Oliver in general makes sense as I have a hard time seeing us pay up to keep him next year.  But I don't think trading Oliver for a short term option at RB makes sense, I would think Beane would rather get draft assets that can infuse youth and longer term players into the roster.  

The other things to consider here are that Henry wasn't nearly as effective before Titans built up their OL into one of the best.  And our OL needs a lot of work, so not sure Henry just walks in and plays at the same level here unless we can significantly improve the OL, which acquiring Henry might limit our ability to do so.  Then you have the mileage and high use of him combined with his age.  I think about guys like Shaun Alexander who just instantly fell off a cliff earlier than expected thanks to the power run style and high use rate.  

Would I be excited if Henry was a Bill...sure...do I think it would happen, doubtful.  

2 of their starting lineman were on our line last year? 

Oliver + 2024  5th 

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

2 of their starting lineman were on our line last year? 

True, but Titans had a solid run blocking OL still, and their backup RB's had quite a bit of success the last couple of years when Henry was out.  And Saffold was not the same player for us that he had been previously in his career.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

True, but Titans had a solid run blocking OL still, and their backup RB's had quite a bit of success the last couple of years when Henry was out.  And Saffold was not the same player for us that he had been previously in his career.

Henry still managed 1500 yards last year on an offense with no other weapons and missing their QB for a number of games.

If he only has 15-18 carries a game here, he'd be fresh for the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Henry still managed 1500 yards last year on an offense with no other weapons and missing their QB for a number of games.

If he only has 15-18 carries a game here, he'd be fresh for the playoffs.

I dont disagree with any of that, and it would be rather exciting to see Henry back there with Josh.  But at the same time, Shaun Alexander was 28 when he fell off the cliff suddenly and he was coming of an MVP season with 1880 yards and 27 TD's.  Just hard to predict with these big bruising runners, especially with the kind of volume carries they get.  

And that is where I am not sure how Beane will weigh all that together.  Age, large carry volume, cap cost, and cost to acquire...when you put it all together, doesn't feel like a Beane move, especially with being a pass first team who needs to significantly address OL and also add more to the receiving weapons.  

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But I don't think trading Oliver for a short term option at RB makes sense, I would think Beane would rather get draft assets that can infuse youth

Oliver's cap hit makes that unlikely.  He is about zero net asset value.  The only reason the Titans would make the trade, is to accomodate Henry, plus anything else we would give up to the titans to make it happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

Henry is 29 with 1750 carries and the residual damage each one did on his body.  He had 349 carries just last year.  Now, maybe he is the very rare RB who can keep going for another year or two before a major drop-off - like Adrian Peterson, but I would not give up a lot of draft picks or money to find out. 

This team NEEDs to take a lot of the rushing load off of Josh Allen or he will be destroyed way before he should be.  But, that doesn't mean take a beaten up workhorse RB and pound him behind a sub-par OL.  If you can somehow fix the OL and get a bigger RB in the 4th/5th round to share carries with Cook and take some of the load off Josh, great.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.