McDermott wants a ‘nastier edge’ to his Defense post Frazier

Chandler#81

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Does everyone forget that he wasn’t hurt in the Packers game? We lost to the Jets with a healthy Josh until the final series. The only game we lost directly after the injury was the Vikes game.

no But... I think its safe to assume that the last few games and then going out golfing, he was way healthier. And my point being is... they defenses never stopped what we did good. Only Allen's injury stopped it.. so who not go back to what was working.. thats my point.

18 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I think they have too much pride to make that excuse.  It's one helluva coincidence that we saw a dominant O devolve after the injury. It was night and day basically.  We were still very good but prior we were the best.

Diggs publicly said the o changed after week 9, the week it happened,  that's probably the closest we'll come to a definitive answer.

As well as Independent Dr's said that injury likely effected the short/intermediate pass game.  Josh has only admitted he had to "slightly" change his throwing motion. 

When there's smoke there's fire. My guess is Drs told Buf that rest wouldn't heal it up for months so they just stuck with him. I believe that's why nothing was done on the offensive staff. I'm sure OBD believes we'll look closer to the 1st half on o than the second half 

TY! well said. Point. Set. Match

21 hours ago, MJS said:

Twice at least. And those were only the times we knew about.

Show me both pressers where he was grilled on it?

every single buffalo reporter knew it happened and McDermott was grilled post game when it happened 

it happened once… every tv camera picked it up … it didn’t happen 2-3 times 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Disagree 1

18 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I want a nastier edge to our OL too. I remember Clowney roughing up Tyrod one time after the whist'e and Richie just threw him like a rag doll. I know he messed up, but I still miss that about him. You want that on both sides of the ball.

I want an OL that takes pride in protecting Josh like NE protected Brady for years. 

Not just for the Bills....but I've always thought there are strategic times to take some personal foul penalties and enhance your reputation and as a rough bunch of A-holes....if that is the reputatoin you want...

For example..... If a player has just caught a pass or had a run that gets you a first and goal from the 2 or whatever....just give them an extra pop or shove or whatever....take that PF penalty....it's already going to be 1st and goal from the 2...it's half the distance to the goal and it's already first down....you lose a yard to get a good shot in.

Take one AFTER an extra point...so that the 15 yards are enforced on a kickoff....big deal!  

or if you want to make it less obvious....team completes pass or runs....it's now first and goal from the 5 or whatever....as a team...have your D line go offside all together...knock the other teams O line on their ass collectively...they were "drawn offside"  half the distance to the goal...it's a 2 yard penalty to knock the whole oline completely on their asses.

Edited by Zerovoltz
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Show me both pressers where he was grilled on it?

every single buffalo reporter knew it happened and McDermott was grilled post game when it happened 

it happened once… every tv camera picked it up … it didn’t happen 2-3 times 

I remember two games it happened. I'm not going to go do the leg work of figuring out which games they were. But I'm certain you are wrong.

On 3/2/2023 at 9:29 AM, PBF81 said:

Otherwise, he's had 6 seasons now to install his version of whatever it is he wants.

Its an interesting conundrum in that on 1 hand our team has gone from nope to hope under his time with us & his Defense has consistently been ranked near the top. So you gotta give the guy credit regardless of anything else imho.

However if you had to pick 1 teams defense to play in a big game or get that big stop, you wouldn't pick ours, at least I wouldnt. So you want changes but not too many.

But you make a compelling point in that its been 6 years & the issues we're facing today are almost existential & similar to what a new coach would be walking into with so many question marks everywhere. We're talking about revamping our entire dline... again, new MLB, new safeties, moving cbs to safety, new coordinator. All things you wouldn't really expect in year 6 of a superbowl run. Dont even get me started on the offense lol. But it has to be seen as an indictment of past decisions gone wrong.

Much has been said about the draft picks on both sides of the ball & the lack of production gained from those guys.  Those misses place more of an emphasis & burden on Allen. For not just what he has to do out there, but like as you said: how lucky we are that he turned into the Josh named Allen & not Rosen, because then we'd be more like the Jets these past few years instead of the BILLS, & we'd all be singing a different tune.

Going forward i hope Beane brings in an outside DC vs letting Sean handle both duties. I want Sean's complete focus on being a HC. As he's still a young one & thats where his focus should be. Some outside perspective cant hurt either, some fresh eyes & ideas, as whatever we've done in the past hasn't been the answer. Doing the same thing & expecting different results is crazy. But of course i expect Sean to handle them or we hire from within to replace Leslie.

GO BILLS

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm actually welcoming all the change even beyond Frazier stepping away — likely losing Edmunds and Poyer. I think losing Edmunds could force McDermott to make some changes to his scheme. I could be wrong but it wasn't great before, as good as the season stats looked, so why not invite some change.

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Not just for the Bills....but I've always thought there are strategic times to take some personal foul penalties and enhance your reputation and as a rough bunch of A-holes....if that is the reputatoin you want...

For example..... If a player has just caught a pass or had a run that gets you a first and goal from the 2 or whatever....just give them an extra pop or shove or whatever....take that PF penalty....it's already going to be 1st and goal from the 2...it's half the distance to the goal and it's already first down....you lose a yard to get a good shot in.

Take one AFTER an extra point...so that the 15 yards are enforced on a kickoff....big deal!  

or if you want to make it less obvious....team completes pass or runs....it's now first and goal from the 5 or whatever....as a team...have your D line go offside all together...knock the other teams O line on their ass collectively...they were "drawn offside"  half the distance to the goal...it's a 2 yard penalty to knock the whole oline completely on their asses.

I’m a coach. My Dline is allowed to take 1 roughing the passer penalty a game. Rules are, it must be close (can’t be egregious), it has to be on first or second down, in minus territory in the first quarter, and can’t be dirty, needs to be nice hard clean pop. Rattles a high school qb pretty good. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MJS said:

I remember two games it happened. I'm not going to go do the leg work of figuring out which games they were. But I'm certain you are wrong.

I am 100% certain I am right

And I did the legwork… It is only been brought up once and happened once

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/17/buffalo-bills-play-calling-sean-mcdermott-leslie-frazier/

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2018/09/bills_leslie_frazier_reclaims_play-calling_duties_shuts_down_potent_vikings.html

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2018/09/bills_leslie_frazier_reclaims_play-calling_duties_shuts_down_potent_vikings.html

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2018/09/21/bills-mcdermott-share-defensive-calls-leslie-frazier-and-bills-defense-bills-vs-vikings/1382548002/

https://m.startribune.com/former-vikings-coach-leslie-frazier-got-the-bills-game-ball-after-his-defensive-plan-worked-to-perfection/494087751/

I went through years of Bills articles and the only mentions are are that mid September game in 2018

Where the chargers embarrassed us… It happened once

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

When I think to myself "who sets the tone on defense?" it's a very easy answer.

Inside linebacker.

Do we pay $20M per season on a great coverage linebacker who is "ok" against the run?

Or, do we draft a nasty linebacker who hits hard and shoots gaps and spend that $20M on Offensive/Defensive linemen to explode the pocket?

Easy answer for me and if McDermott actually wants a "nastier edge" this is the route he'll go.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nephilim17 said:

I'm actually welcoming all the change even beyond Frazier stepping away — likely losing Edmunds and Poyer. I think losing Edmunds could force McDermott to make some changes to his scheme. I could be wrong but it wasn't great before, as good as the season stats looked, so why not invite some change.

I mentioned this in another thread. Pretty firm about my opinion. Time for some sincere tweaks and change how the LBs vs DB vs D Line function !

I too welcome the change, and remain hopeful

On 3/2/2023 at 4:04 AM, JerseyBills said:

I think it was the ucl injury.  Our O will be fine , injuries aside. 

But I love this mentality from McD. He's evolving 

What’s funny is, the offense score more points and Allen had more tds, more yards, a better passer rating under Dorsey. He did have more fumbles but I contribute to regression in the oline (the right side) and Allen’s injury. Nobody wants this conversation though 

14 hours ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

What’s funny is, the offense score more points and Allen had more tds, more yards, a better passer rating under Dorsey. He did have more fumbles but I contribute to regression in the oline (the right side) and Allen’s injury. Nobody wants this conversation though 

More interceptions too. But the majority happened post injury. But I agree. I even noticed his short throws were way different post injury.  His whole throwing motion was different on shorter throws and had inaccuracies he didn't have in the 1st half of the year

I think he's the best QB in the game.  I really do, skill wise. I hope and think McBeane does too and they'll go all in on o this offseason 

Dorsey is fine. Best O under 2 min in a half. Best 3rd down %. Top 3 scoring.  Josh loves him. He's open to recommendations from all players and he'll be even more successful with a healthy Allen. We were scorching teams before the ucl. Dominating 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.