Is Edmunds decision the most difficult Beane has ever faced?

Ethan in Cleveland

15 hours ago, KzooMike said:

No Milano was not locked up and it did tell me all I needed to know on him. Which was the Bills recognized his position and role as one they were prepared to move on from. They have locked up so many players before they hit the market it's been overwhelming. You think it's a coincidence Poyer and Edmunds have not been signed? Oliver? It's not a coincidence. It's age and position. Doesn't even mean the Bills don't want to do it, it just means they were willing to let it go that far when in most instances they have not. That has to speak for something. 

Allen is a star QB and we have signed an overwhelming amount of foundational pieces at a time when we did not know if they would or wouldn't be the ones we really needed. Time has proven thus far we need a different combination of pieces which makes decisions on future already existing pieces a tad bit easier to swallow. This defense has not got us to where we want to be long term and Edmunds is a center piece of it. No matter how good Edmunds is in coverage he still a MLB in an offensive league and with an offseason to redevelop scheme and the right players, we very well could be better vs previous versions. We aren't going to sign a 6th rounder and ask him to be Edmunds. Well, maybe, but we shouldn't.  

The reason you don't lock up or extend players like Edmunds, Poyer, Oliver & Gabe is because they're not playing at a high enough level for success or in Po's case age + injuries. This organization has done some dumb things,  but letting these 4 walk is not one of them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

At the beginning of the year, this team chose to throw $13M/yr at Dawson Knox rather than save that money to put it towards Edmunds next contract. I thought that was pretty telling that he wasn’t coming back, as well as who the organization valued more at that price point. 

Not an issue at all because he's going to be WAY out of our price range. He's a 2 time Pro Bowler with 5 years of experience at the age of 24 with freakish size and athleticism and a completely clean bill of health.

Regardless of how many feel about him around here, being young, healthy, having had success, and having the measurables are what gets one paid in FA. And he has all of it. His age and wear and tear for his level of experience is completely unheard of.

With the expected raise in cap, I expect his contract to be north of 100 million dollars. Most likely the largest contract for an Inside Linebacker in NFL history. If not Roquan's 100 million dollar deal, than it won't be very far behind.

He's already said he's testing the market and once that happens - it's over. No decision at all.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

It’s very easy to think what Edmunds impact is… Is he Ray Lewis? Obviously not

Is he Preston Brown? Obviously not

He is an enigma…. The most controversial player in NFL history for signing … He is 24

And played five seasons in the NFL…. 

If you don’t re-sign him… There was no point in drafting him

Because you are drafting him for the second contract… 25 to 30… The peak of his career

We have a five year veteran who is as young is kids coming out of the draft… That’s House Money…

There is zero probability that getting rid of him is the right move

You need to find a kid that is the physical freak in the prime of his career which is slim to none… expect tremaine 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It’s very easy to think what Edmunds impact is… Is he Ray Lewis? Obviously not

Is he Preston Brown? Obviously not

He is an enigma…. The most controversial player in NFL history for signing … He is 24

And played five seasons in the NFL…. 

If you don’t re-sign him… There was no point in drafting him

Because you are drafting him for the second contract… 25 to 30… The peak of his career

We have a five year veteran who is as young is kids coming out of the draft… That’s House Money…

There is zero probability that getting rid of him is the right move

You need to find a kid that is the physical freak in the prime of his career which is slim to none… expect tremaine 

It really does depend on what the $$ number is for me. I lean towards paying Tremaine. He has just come off his best season, and what you say about him entering what should be the peak of his career is right. The period when he has sufficient experience, knowledge and know how to maximise his incredible physical potential. I am very happy to pay him like a kid who could over the next 5 years become the best MLB in the NFL. I am less enthused about the idea of paying him as if he already is. If he is willing to come in right below Smith, Warner and Leonard at $18-18.5m AAV with some guarantee escalators that retains flexibility for the Bills in the first couple of years if 2022 turns out to be his high point then I'm in. I know people are worried about immediate cap space but Roquan is coming in at only $9m cap hit in 2023 for Baltimore. I think you can get Edmunds' 2023 charge into that range, or maybe even a little below. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

he's simply not a big enough of an impact player to sign for what another team will pay him, not to us and not in our D at the least.

rando mid tier free agent D Jones had a bigger impact on our D being out vs cincy than edmunds ever has.  the front 4 and the scheme protects the back 7 in our D, so saving and getting max value in the back 7 is the key to logistical success.

a strong improvement in 1 or 2 OL positions which could be secured w what edmunds would make would do so much more to improve our team.  our d would be likely slightly worse, but our OL would be much better.  if we also improve by adding one additional target, not exactly an impossible task, we legit have a shot at an all time type of offense w josh allen running the show.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Now that McDermott is HC and DC, wouldn’t he be more tied to Edmunds more than anyone else in the organization? Would McD let Edmunds go, and take the possibility that he does better elsewhere AND prove the Bills mis-drafted or mishandled him? McD might just want to keep Edmunds around so he doesn’t come back and negatively reflect McD’s poor form. 

Jay Skurski has penned quite the article: "Terrel Bernard could be answer at middle linebacker if Tremaine Edmunds leaves via free agency"

McDermott's comments seem pretty non-committal on this and may simply be a hypothetical response to a Skurski question (can TB play middle?):

McDermott mentioned that most of Bernard’s time as a rookie was spent at outside linebacker, so moving into the middle and calling the defense would be a big adjustment, but not one the Bills think he’s incapable of making.

“He played middle in college, and so that’s on the table,” McDermott said. “He’s shown to this point that he is extremely smart and capable mentally to move from one position to the next.”

At 6'1" and only 224 lb. with middling speed I'd be shocked if Bernard gets to start as MLB but I suppose crazier things have happened.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/terrel-bernard-could-be-answer-at-middle-linebacker-if-tremaine-edmunds-leaves-via-free-agency/article_e4b4d50e-b95c-11ed-a9a1-7fe6552a2431.html

p.s. as a Buffalo News article this may be behind a paywall.

I think this is Beane's toughest offseason, but this may not be his toughest decision if another team pays at or near $20 million. I just don't think you pay a MLB that kind of money unless he's on par with Luke Kuechly, a future HOF'er. That's especially true this offseason when we have one of the very worst OL's in the NFL that is holding us back. Get an average MLB who's decent in zone coverage for half that amount. There are much higher priorities.

On 3/2/2023 at 10:43 PM, colin said:

he's simply not a big enough of an impact player to sign for what another team will pay him, not to us and not in our D at the least.

rando mid tier free agent D Jones had a bigger impact on our D being out vs cincy than edmunds ever has. the front 4 and the scheme protects the back 7 in our D, so saving and getting max value in the back 7 is the key to logistical success.

a strong improvement in 1 or 2 OL positions which could be secured w what edmunds would make would do so much more to improve our team. our d would be likely slightly worse, but our OL would be much better. if we also improve by adding one additional target, not exactly an impossible task, we legit have a shot at an all time type of offense w josh allen running the show.

Very true. Josh is clearly our best player and the key to our success. A top 5 OL makes everyone else on offense look better and gives us a solid run game that other teams have to take into account every play. If we could save $20 million to spend on the OL and a real #1 RB that could give us 1200 yards or more, Josh would have an MVP year. Take the pressure off Josh and let a big, nasty OL take some of the load. Add a solid WR2 and better TE depth. How do you stop that? As long as the DL can bring pressure, I believe we can be a better, more complete team. The Chiefs, Eagles and Bengals definitely figured out the value of a good to great OL and it showed. Josh in a clean pocket with a top 5 run game that features a bullish RB that can wear down defenses works for me. If we win in the trenches, we'd have to beat ourselves in order to lose.

Edited by GreggTX

I would say this offseason is his biggest challenge since the year they drafted Josh. They no longer can build freely without consequence the way they did when they got Josh and some of the core pieces they built the original foundation with may have to go (Edmunds/Poyer).

Beane needs to basically strengthen the O line, add to the WR corp, either find a way to keep their MLB and SS OR replace one or both then while having cap restraints. 

If Beane can make the right choices it can possibly open the window wider as the proper draft and FA adds allow subsequent years to see some BPA draft picks. But if you miss your only digging further in the hole.

Not sure why Beane doesn't tag and trade Edmunds. He is a valuable asset and we can place the tag on him until we trade him.  Beane will never get the 3rd rounder as part of the compensatory pick thingy since he will certainly sign more UFAs than we let go.  He always does.  We need picks and Edmunds is worth at least a day 2 pick.   

Don’t count out Terrel Bernard. Yes, he’s undersized, but yes he’s had a full year to pack on some muscle, from what I’ve seen he’s a very instinctive and intuitive LB, so who knows? He may be a quality starter for us next year.

Also, Milano is obviously a high quality starter as well. So I think if Buffalo drafted somebody in the 3rd-4th round I’d feel really good about this group. DeMarvion Overshown out of Texas is a name I’d throw out there, he could probably be had in RD3. Nice size, strong, instinctive, playmaker.

On 3/2/2023 at 6:24 AM, Ramza86 said:

Hes probably never going to be worth what he is going to get paid....but I can see him shining on a team that will use him in a way that we havent.

This makes sense to me. In any event, whether he deserves it or not, some team(s) will want to pay him big time and the Bills will be unable to compete even if they wanted to. Our next mlb is going to be a rookie or free agent. I'd love Wagner for 2 years.

7 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Jay Skurski has penned quite the article: "Terrel Bernard could be answer at middle linebacker if Tremaine Edmunds leaves via free agency"

McDermott's comments seem pretty non-committal on this and may simply be a hypothetical response to a Skurski question (can TB play middle?):

McDermott mentioned that most of Bernard’s time as a rookie was spent at outside linebacker, so moving into the middle and calling the defense would be a big adjustment, but not one the Bills think he’s incapable of making.

“He played middle in college, and so that’s on the table,” McDermott said. “He’s shown to this point that he is extremely smart and capable mentally to move from one position to the next.”

At 6'1" and only 224 lb. with middling speed I'd be shocked if Bernard gets to start as MLB but I suppose crazier things have happened.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/terrel-bernard-could-be-answer-at-middle-linebacker-if-tremaine-edmunds-leaves-via-free-agency/article_e4b4d50e-b95c-11ed-a9a1-7fe6552a2431.html

p.s. as a Buffalo News article this may be behind a paywall.

If McD thinks this smurf can play MLB, it is hopeless.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, turftoe said:

Not sure why Beane doesn't tag and trade Edmunds. He is a valuable asset and we can place the tag on him until we trade him.  Beane will never get the 3rd rounder as part of the compensatory pick thingy since he will certainly sign more UFAs than we let go.  He always does.  We need picks and Edmunds is worth at least a day 2 pick.   

Unless he’s signed to a contract, I don’t think they can trade him. Even if he’s tagged. He’s still a free agent. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.