We need some luck

Success

Most championship teams - in any sport - needed some luck along the way.  I would contend that we've gotten very little, if any.

Last year, the Niners dropped an easy INT in the NFCCG that would have basically sealed that game for them.   The Bengals were also kind of lucky to be there, given how KC gave the AFCCG away.  This year, the luck went against the Bengals, with some very questionable calls in the KC game, and went KC's way, with a soft call at the end of the game that prevented the Eagles from getting a chance to tie or win the game in the last 2 minutes.

And you can go back to just about any SB.  Once in awhile, there is a juggernaut, and luck isn't as needed. But usually, luck plays a big part - and I'd argue we haven't had much.  From our top 4 receivers all being injured in the AFCCG 2 years ago, to the coin toss last year, to all of the crazy situations this year.

So many things have to happen to win a SB. You need a great team - but you also need a few breaks.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Give the Chiefs our path and they are not Super Bowl Champions.  

Dolphins, Bengals, Bills without Chris Jones. 

They bow out in the Divisional Round against CIN just like us. 

They stayed healthy at the main roster spots and lucked into the 1 seed. 

Now, we have work to do.. KC likely doesn’t get rocked by the Bengals, but it does take some luck.   On the other hand, some teams make their own luck… KC has routinely been the 1 seed and/or made it to the AFC Championship/Super Bowl.  

Can only make excuses for so long. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Success said:

Most championship teams - in any sport - needed some luck along the way.  I would contend that we've gotten very little, if any.

Last year, the Niners dropped an easy INT in the NFCCG that would have basically sealed that game for them.   The Bengals were also kind of lucky to be there, given how KC gave the AFCCG away.  This year, the luck went against the Bengals, with some very questionable calls in the KC game, and went KC's way, with a soft call at the end of the game that prevented the Eagles from getting a chance to tie or win the game in the last 2 minutes.

And you can go back to just about any SB.  Once in awhile, there is a juggernaut, and luck isn't as needed. But usually, luck plays a big part - and I'd argue we haven't had much.  From our top 4 receivers all being injured in the AFCCG 2 years ago, to the coin toss last year, to all of the crazy situations this year.

So many things have to happen to win a SB. You need a great team - but you also need a few breaks.  

You are 100% correct Success.  To win a Super Bowl you not only need to be good - the bounces have to go your way.  If there’s anything that happened this year - it’s that the Bills did NOT get those bounces. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

2021 was our season.

The stars aligned.

Allen was on fire in the playoffs.

Gabe’s brick hands suddenly turned to perfectly conditioned leather mits filled with stick-em.

Then McFrazier happened…

JA is a generational talent.

2021 was a huge missed opportunity.  But I refuse to believe that a QB like JA only gets one shot where everything aligns properly. It's hard to miss out on what looked like a clear path for the Bills to get a title (though that is subject to debate) - but you can look back on a lot of championship teams that had near misses leading up to their breakthrough.

I consider it more like Jordan's Bulls, who had to take their lumps against the Pistons for a few years before finally getting the title, and going on a run.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Success said:

It's not luck that they are blocked by Mahomes..........they were blessed to have him fall to their draft slot.

But they handed him to an AFC rival that was further into their development........to move back and ultimately add part of the draft capital needed to select Tremaine Edmunds.:doh:

That all-time kinda' draft day mistake put them way behind the curve..........and then incredibly lucking into Josh Allen falling far enough to select him......when Allen would have been the #1 overall pick in more drafts than not the prior 15 years.......is the only thing that's got them within striking distance.

Luck isn't what they need.........they just need to execute their offseasons better and finish the job.

Yes they had some unfortunate circumstances really help derail them earlier than it should have this season............but ultimately the build in the offseason was also flawed and it showed up after the bye week before the storms/Von/Damar even happened.

Get the right pieces and they won't need a lot of extra good fortune.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

This will come off as whining to some folks, but that WNY weather did not help us against the Bengals in the playoffs. Don’t get me wrong, I thought the better team won. But Brady, Mahomes and others have said how a slick field favors the passing game. It’s hard to get traction for any speed rush. Because we play so much zone, it’s also harder on the DB’s to break quickly on the ball. 

We lost to a better team, we got crushed because of our scheme and unfortunate circumstances. 

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

2021 was our season.

The stars aligned.

Allen was on fire in the playoffs.

Gabe’s brick hands suddenly turned to perfectly conditioned leather mits filled with stick-em.

Then McFrazier happened…

We will know when the stars have aligned. We are but mere mortals, never meant to understand why we have to endure as we do. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think you create your own luck by putting good people and positions to evaluate talent

Do you think finding a seventh round, running back from Rutgers who turns out to be that good for the Chiefs is luck, no somebody who knew what they were doing found him

Do this on the bills bring in a consultant who sold job is evaluating offense of line talent, and then let them make some picks

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

If Von Miller lasts the season, Micah Hyde returns to form and CB Tre White becomes an all pro once again then I'll say luck is on our side.

That would have been a TOTALLY different sight. No doubt. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.