8 hours ago, dancing_joker said:

Andy Reid

Bill Belichick

John Harbaugh

Sean Payton

Kyle Shanahan 

Pete Carroll 

Sean McVay

Even Mike Tomlin could be on that list. He won a Super Bowl. 

Like I said, McDermott is a top-5 winning coach.   

Career winning percentage of active coaches, he's top 5.  

Over the past six years, the length of his head coaching career, he's top 5. 

LaFleur has been a head coach for four seasons.  McDermott has a better winning percentage over that period.

Sirianni has been a head coach for two seasons.  McDermott has a better winning percentage over that period.  

Belichick had only a slightly better winning percentage in his first six seasons in New England.   Look at Belichick's first six seasons as a head coach, including Cleveland, and McDermott is way ahead of him.  

I said winning, and he's top five. Definitely.  You'll say, yeah, but Super Bowls, but like I've been saying, if you tell me that my coach is going to be top 5 for the next 20 seasons, I am not replacing the guy.   If you're replacing him, I'm betting you sold all your Apple stock in 1993, too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

And also lost 4 times as many too.  But that's what happens when you coached for 24 years and have the same winning percentage.  The numbers of wins and losses will be bigger. 

I'll grant you Reid has certainly done much more in 24 years, I also recall many people talking about how Reid can never win the big one.  Today now has a chance at #2.

My main point when looking at the names on that list other than Belichick and I'll throw in Reid too, the rest haven't won any better over their careers than McD has other than they have won one SB.

You said the difference in the % was a game or two.  I used that to point out that McD's far lower total games played makes a Reid comparison pretty meaningless---especially when you take into account post season success, which is all that matters in this conversation.  McD's record is .444.   

Reid did struggle to win the big one.  But at least he gets his team there....over and over.  Compare his post  season success with Mahomes as starter to McD's with Allen over the same time period. 

• Like (+1) 1

Agreed.  At worst - this is the Super Bowl years all over again - A great team, that is extremely fun to watch, and gets close but never there.  Enjoy it.

We all want more.  But all we're doing is putting even more pressure on the team to overcome.  Stop.  This is our team - our city - and we need to rise to the occasion and support them with more than just fundraisers for their charities.  They need love, and to know WE have their back.  

Am I happy with the way the last 2 seasons ended - HELL NO.  Especially this year when we flopped like a dead fish.   Last year our season ended on full blast and we got beat by an amazing team, an amazing QB, 13 seconds and just one more possession.  While frustrating - at least it ended with us fighting to the last second.  This year we peaked in like week 3.  Then slowly declined until the playoffs were a mess.  There are 1,000 reasons which are well documented, but that's the reality.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

Yes, please look at other comments. There’s people perfectly content with just making the playoffs  

Please point out the posts that say this. Take your time, because I don’t recall seeing any

I’m not perfectly content making the playoffs. I want to win a Super Bowl as much as anybody. BUT, I’d rather win 14 games and not win the SB than win 7 and not be in the playoffs. That seems pretty simple to me.  I enjoy the season, one win at a time. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/11/2023 at 11:19 AM, Dr. K said:

I've been a member of this community since the very beginning, in 2001. 

Through the depths of the drought, I've never seen so much whining and anger and lashing out as what goes on daily on this board right now. Not everybody is guilty of this—there are a good number of eminently sane people who post here frequently—but the percentage of people acting like three-year-olds having temper tantrums is as high or higher than it has ever been.

I went away for the last weeks since the loss to the Bengals thinking that of course people are going to act out their disappointment; it's natural, I thought, let them get it out of their system. But it's as bad this morning as ever. I've tried blocking the worst offenders but the list would be too long to comprehend at this point. If the Bills were to take one fifth of the hysterical suggestions that are made every hour on this board, they would be out of the playoffs for the next twenty years. 

I realize this is likely my problem, not yours. So I'm giving it a pass at least until the draft, and maybe until training camp.

I hope some of you will get out of the house now and then and breathe some fresh air. 

I blocked a bunch of long-timers on this board who fit the description of what you are talking about and it helped.  

That said, this is a great place to "vent" as well as to celebrate.

There are differing opinions and I always welcome comment (just hold the rudeness).

14 minutes ago, Yantha said:

I blocked a bunch of long-timers on this board who fit the description of what you are talking about and it helped.  

You know, I haven't found it too bad around here.   I realize now, however, that I have maybe a half dozen posters on my ignore list, and over time that tends to turn down some of the more angry or antagonistic rhetoric.   Using the ignore list has some long-term effects on how you join this.   And, if you haven't tried it, understand that you can see that these people have posted, and you can click right there to see the post.   It works well.

I try not to ignore many people, because I find that they have good insights into the game.  We all do.  

• Agree 1

Through the depths of the drought, I've never seen so much whining and anger and lashing out as what goes on daily on this board right now. Not everybody is guilty of this—there are a good number of eminently sane people who post here frequently—but the percentage of people acting like three-year-olds having temper tantrums is as high or higher than it has ever been.

I went away for the last weeks since the loss to the Bengals thinking that of course people are going to act out their disappointment; it's natural, I thought, let them get it out of their system. But it's as bad this morning as ever. I've tried blocking the worst offenders but the list would be too long to comprehend at this point. If the Bills were to take one fifth of the hysterical suggestions that are made every hour on this board, they would be out of the playoffs for the next twenty years. 

I realize this is likely my problem, not yours. So I'm giving it a pass at least until the draft, and maybe until training camp.

I hope some of you will get out of the house now and then and breathe some fresh air. 

I think what you are seeing this time of year is 10% of the posters making 90% of the comments. That’s also how Twitter works. 

I would venture to guess that the vast majority of fans are happy with the team and season, and obviously wish some things could have gone differently. 

The negative nancies probably will mostly calm down once we get into the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

HEAT MAPS

• Like (+1) 1

Have to admit, I feel worse now than I did directly after the Divisional round. The bubbling under of Josh and Diggs falling out with no attempt from those involved to quash it, Frasier seemingly being offered a new contract despite failing in the play offs time and again, Beane apparently prepared to run it back next year rather than making moves to improve matters... any hope I had after the Bengals play off game has been diluted.

A good draft and a couple of decent signings off free agency will change my mind. And it is a long time until September.

Become?  It's been poisonous for a while...every bad play is enough to send 25% of the board jumping off a cliff and then you have to deal with the "fake" Bills fans who are really trolls that root for other teams that have excessively negative takes on pretty much anything the Bills do and no matter how good they played, they only talk about the bad.

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Become?  It's been poisonous for a while...every bad play is enough to send 25% of the board jumping off a cliff and then you have to deal with the "fake" Bills fans who are really trolls that root for other teams that have excessively negative takes on pretty much anything the Bills do and no matter how good they played, they only talk about the bad.

That was the nice part about being mediocre; every win was a nice surprise and every loss wasn't.

The bar is going to be "Superbowl or bust" for some, and I can understand that with the recent success (some people don't know how to manage having a good team).  At the same time, people put too much of their lives into whether the bills win or lose every week.

I think you’re being too complacent if you think things should still be just trust the process. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

This is a community to exchange thoughts and ideas.

The problem with a LOT of members here is that they think this is supposed to be a Bills Booster Club, filled with mindless enthusiasm for anything and all things Bills related.

The moment others approach it as a forum for critical thought and discussion, the Booster Club type (i.e., kool aid drinkers) get upset. They spend most of their time attacking and commenting on other posters and Bills fans, not the actual team or sport of football.

Sounds like this is the camp the OP is in; toughen up.

If only the kool aid folks would go away into their own "it's all going to be perfect" bubble...and leave those of us who want to live in reality alone to actually discuss the team, there would be very little in-fighting here.

I have found the last couple of weeks to be a breath of fresh air, because so many Bills Booster/Kool Aid types are long gone.

Whatever happened to YoloinOhio?  Was his soul crushed?  As he posted here since the Bengals game?

What is he, a fair weather fan only?

I feel the same way, but leave Yolo alone! He’s a good dude. And he’s been around. 

19 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Yolo is probably 95% of the reason I started checking in here daily. Yolo was my twitter before I had a twitter 😂😂

Yolo is now catching up on the 9 months of work that he has been telling is boss has been delayed because of "unforeseen circumstances".  

• Haha (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

This is a community to exchange thoughts and ideas.

The problem with a LOT of members here is that they think this is supposed to be a Bills Booster Club, filled with mindless enthusiasm for anything and all things Bills related.

The moment others approach it as a forum for critical thought and discussion, the Booster Club type (i.e., kool aid drinkers) get upset. They spend most of their time attacking and commenting on other posters and Bills fans, not the actual team or sport of football.

Sounds like this is the camp the OP is in; toughen up.

If only the kool aid folks would go away into their own "it's all going to be perfect" bubble...and leave those of us who want to live in reality alone to actually discuss the team, there would be very little in-fighting here.

I have found the last couple of weeks to be a breath of fresh air, because so many Bills Booster/Kool Aid types are long gone.

Whatever happened to YoloinOhio?  Was his soul crushed?  As he posted here since the Bengals game?

What is he, a fair weather fan only?

I agree but I appreciate Yolo.

6 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Like I said, McDermott is a top-5 winning coach.   

Career winning percentage of active coaches, he's top 5.  

Over the past six years, the length of his head coaching career, he's top 5. 

LaFleur has been a head coach for four seasons.  McDermott has a better winning percentage over that period.

Sirianni has been a head coach for two seasons.  McDermott has a better winning percentage over that period.  

Belichick had only a slightly better winning percentage in his first six seasons in New England.   Look at Belichick's first six seasons as a head coach, including Cleveland, and McDermott is way ahead of him.  

I said winning, and he's top five. Definitely.  You'll say, yeah, but Super Bowls, but like I've been saying, if you tell me that my coach is going to be top 5 for the next 20 seasons, I am not replacing the guy.   If you're replacing him, I'm betting you sold all your Apple stock in 1993, too.

LaFleur and Sirianni were not in the list I provided. Belichick is #3 in all-time wins and Reid is #5, and you’re focusing on winning percentages? And no, I didn’t have any apple stock in 1993. I was in middle school. I’m old enough to remember OJ the killer not the football player you couldn’t help but drool all over. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.