How did the Patriots maintain a top team for 17 years?

Success

Seriously maybe it's been said but I haven't seen it yet, Belichik might be the greatest defensive coach ever.  Sure Brady was great.  That said almost every year the Pats went all the way their defense was tops or close to tops in the league at keeping teams from scoring.  The offense was good, sometimes great, but the defense was outstanding and even without Brady they still are in contention and why, because they always play defense.  They never beat themselves and they make fewer mistakes than the other team, at least until recently.

For me, the Patriots showed you don't have to retain every player who is good (Seymour, Chandler Jones for example there were many others) and young to stay competitive and win SB's.  Good coaching/culture, a great QB and sometimes boring but consistent gameplans that take advantage of matchups is how its done.

9 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Seriously maybe it's been said but I haven't seen it yet, Belichik might be the greatest defensive coach ever.  Sure Brady was great.  That said almost every year the Pats went all the way their defense was tops or close to tops in the league at keeping teams from scoring.  The offense was good, sometimes great, but the defense was outstanding and even without Brady they still are in contention and why, because they always play defense.  They never beat themselves and they make fewer mistakes than the other team, at least until recently.

I remember the Bengals - Pats game last year. The Bengals jumped out to a big lead, and it looked like it was going to be a blowout. Bill made some adjustments, and the Bengals offense was shut down the rest of the way. NE almost won the game. They were inside the Bengals 10 in the final minute but turned the ball over and lost a close game. 

16 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Hey captain serious!

I was gonna say they taped practices but your answer was much more plausible LMFORFALOLOK

Hey captain silly pants! 

Yeah, my friends and family used to call me BobbyPlausible, because of plausibility. 

roffelrofllolzickzork!! 

Now do me a favor, and… GO GET YOUR SHINEBOX!! 

On 2/6/2023 at 11:00 AM, Success said:

I thought it might be interesting to put our loathing aside and really analyze how they pulled it off.  What they did is what I want the Bills to do - dominate for many years, and as long as they have Allen at QB.

They didn't have the ebb & flow that a team normally has, even w/ a top QB.  Their window was wide open for most of those 17 years. They made 9 SB's, and probably should have made 1-2 more.  My own thoughts:

1) Obviously, Brady took less pay so the team could afford better players.  I still don't see that being as impactful as it's made out to be - he was still paid a lot.

2) Aging vet stars took pay cuts just to play w/ Brady. Will we see that w/ Allen?

3) The Patriots made very few investments in bigtime skill players.  Moss was the exception, not the rule.

4) One of the hallmarks of Belichick was letting players walk before they started to decline.  Almost exactly what we're looking at w/ Poyer.

5) Their biggest priority, year after year, was making sure the O-line was strong.  That's just what you do when you have a top QB.

Still, the run is somewhat mystifying.  Belichick was not a great drafter, which is usually needed once a QB gets past the rookie contract.  Superior coaching clearly played a part. I think BB got the best out of his players (which is something we aren't doing right now - we see players leave the Bills and perform better than they did here).

Thoughts?

The red bold is a big part of what made BB & the Pats great.

The other thing that sometimes gets brushed under the rug, is that sometimes you just have a team's number. Some of those Steelers teams were very very good, but they simply couldn't beat the Patriots. Colts & Chargers as well.

Edited by DrBob806

On 2/6/2023 at 10:56 AM, sven233 said:

Paying Brady under the table so they only had him on the books for about half, or less, than what he should have been on the books for certainly helped a lot.  Cheating (in a bunch of different ways, probably in a lot of ways that weren't even discovered yet) had a bunch to do with it as well.  Throw all that on the fact that Brady was good anyway, and boom......dynasty. 

It only took one page for the whining to start. 

On 3/22/2023 at 10:22 AM, bobobonators said:

Also helped that the Jets, Bills and Fins were all an absolute joke for 10+yrs. They were already 6-0 in August 

You play the schedule you are given. 

39 minutes ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

We were terribly mismanaged for a loooooong time. The Jets are the Jets. Miami had Dave freaking Wannstedt for way too long. A convergence of circumstances certainly helped move them along. Jesus…no wonder we drink a lot. 

this.

Plus paying Tom Brady waaaaayyyyyy under market value for the entirety of his tenure with the Pats.

Plus lots and lots of cheating.

Once BB started winning he knew he could only acquire talent via the compensatory draft system. So he put his players in a position to accrue value and then trade them off for picks. 

He also knew how to generate sacks with relatively average linemen and linebackers.

He and Scarnecchia developed a system for protecting the pocket for TB without writing big cheques. The biggest name OL players eventually left in FA as well. Logan Mankins never won a SB despite being there from 2005-2013.

Seymour, Vrabel, Johnson, Ty Law and Vince Wilfork were all dealt in their prime. BB won't hang onto an over priced star past their prime. 

He also created a culture of winning where the best FAs wanted to go there if only for year at a discount

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, stuvian said:

Once BB started winning he knew he could only acquire talent via the compensatory draft system. So he put his players in a position to accrue value and then trade them off for picks. 

He also knew how to generate sacks with relatively average linemen and linebackers.

He and Scarnecchia developed a system for protecting the pocket for TB without writing big cheques. The biggest name OL players eventually left in FA as well. Logan Mankins never won a SB despite being there from 2005-2013.

Seymour, Vrabel, Johnson, Ty Law and Vince Wilfork were all dealt in their prime. BB won't hang onto an over priced star past their prime. 

He also created a culture of winning where the best FAs wanted to go there if only for year at a discount

If there was a "formula" others would have done it by now...

1 Brady

2 play rookies at corner, which we seem terrified to do

3 something this fan base is often unwilling to do, which is sell off favorite players before they go downhill or become wildly overpriced. The winning Pats would have also let Tremaine go. They would have never brought back Cole. They would have already cut Mitch coming into this year and replaced him with Bates. 

Edited by Locomark

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.