Saquon Barkley is Still a Media Favorite to the Bills

JackKemp

4 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Best RB we’ve had since Shady. He would take a ton of pressure off Josh. If Josh has a bad game we can just pound the ball.

At what Spotrac estimates his value($12.3 million per year) at they would have to shed $33 million just to get under the cap and sign Barkley. That number only has our 1st round draft pick factored in too, so it would be closer to $35-$36 million.

5 hours ago, JackKemp said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-2023-one-player-each-team-should-prioritize-signing-in-offseason/

I really don’t think this is the priority. There is no consideration for the Bills cap in this piece. Seems like a lazy analysis. 

It's not so much Barkely to the Bills, but this article says Poyer to the 49ers. That would make San Francisco even more stellar.

May be a media favorite because they think this is the answer to our running game woes.  This guy is going to want 10mil+ a season.  The Bills dont have the cap space for that.  That money would be better spent on o-line which is a bigger problem to our run game than running back is.  Teams around the league have a solid run game with nobodies at RB because they have good line play, good scheme, and good play calling.  You dont pay for an elite rb when you have an elite qb.

Seems like they have been doing this dance for a few years now. Trying to peg a RB to Buffalo. 

First it was that we were going to draft Najee Harris or Travis Etienne, then it was a million Christian McCaffrey and Alvin Kamara rumors and Barkley rumors for awhile. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

The Bills can’t afford to bring DS back, much less afford the premier back in FA.  They are going to have to either use ANOTHER pick on a back or go UDFA.  Would have been better off keeping Blackshear last year and letting Moss walk, but ya know, loyalties.  It’s time to start making some hard decisions and cutting the fat again.  Sean’s prize “core special teamers” need to be the first ones shown the door.  There’s quite a bit of money tied to non-impact guys, it’s a luxury you should never have had, but no longer can afford.

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Would love to have em

We can’t afford him

This is supposed to be a strong draft for running backs. It seems like this would be the draft to take one late

How many sides of your mouth can you talk out of? Now you'd have Barkley but not Robinson. You believe in Parcells but when he says Allen is playing "solitare" that "personnel" he suggests isn't the runners? Why? The entire Parcells tree is predicated on the power running game. Remember  OJ?...Anderson?

A root cause of Buffalo's 2022 season ending in flames (again) was their inability to run the ball effectively.   And the best action to address this is to add a high priced back with 1200 touches in 5 seasons.  Sure.  

Sports media clearly peddling click-bait articles and not doing real in-depth analysis of this team's problems.  If they did, they'd see the lack of quality investment in the OL was a prime cause and yet, even minus Josh's carries, Buffalo averaged 4.8 yards per carry last season.  (1,470 yards on 306 carries).  

Because unless Barkley gives them north of 6.0 yards per carry and 9.0 yards per reception , this is not close to value.  And even then, on what he'll want in UFA...it's not value. 

19 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I don’t see it happening, even with the cap space. Bills drafted Cook pretty high and are paying Hynes over 4 million dollars next year. 

Cook goes down if someone farts near him, he will not be the primary runner this year.  He is built for a Kamara like role.  And I think they will cut Hines for cap space this year, I mean he is just a duplicate of Cook in type of running back.

All that being said, I can’t see us having the cap space to sign Barkley and I think he goes back to Giants anyway.  

But I do expect Bills to sign or draft someone.  I think D’Onta Foreman would be a very good value signing personally.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

14 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Well if I remember correctly, we got Carlton Chester "Cookie" Gilchrist for Jack Kemp  ...

Actually, Cookie came 1st.  Cookie was signed before the start of the 1962 season & Kemp was picked up on waivers during the 1962 season.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Barkley had 352 touches his rookie season and then got hurt the following year.  He had 352 touches last season.  The guy is a sports car that the previous owner drove like a maniac for 5 years and had one major wreck.  I don't understand why anyone would throw big money at him when quality RBs grow on trees.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.