Beane End of Year Presser

thenorthremembers

20 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Bengals have the advantage of a QB on rookie contract.  Were lucky to suck enough to get Jamarr Chase.  Bills dont want to be in that position.

This part really bothered me when Beane said it.

He was basically asked what he can take from the Bengals' build, and rather than state any one of the many obvious things that make the Bengals a good team -- strong up front on both sides of the ball, great wide receiver play, depth, etc -- he chose just about the worst possible answer.

To say that they "were lucky enough" to be "bad enough to get Ja'Marr Chase", he is essentially ducking accountability for still needing to be able to find difference makers later in round one and beyond. Lots of great NFL players -- receivers, especially -- are taken in late round one and beyond. For him to point to the "luck" of drafting high is to dodge the responsibility that he and his staff bare to find good players REGARDLESS of where in the draft they pick.

Yes, later in the interview he said that he and his staff need to hit on draft picks, but he's said that before. That's obvious. Those are just words. The "we don't pick early like the Bengals used to, so we're not getting a guy like that" and the insinuation of luck and high draft position as reasons for success were a bad look.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 13

When the bills lost to the chiefs last year we all felt like we were the best team in the league, and should have won the Superbowl if not for an epic coaching blunder.

Beane nailed the year end press conference and addressed some very specific areas where the team needed to improve.

Everything about the way this season ended is the complete opposite.

It sounds like Beanes plan is to run it back and hope we get in a groove at the right time.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 6

22 minutes ago, Process said:

Most of the questions being asked are beyond stupid. Stop asking him about KC and Cincinnati and start asking about the very glaring and obvious issues with this team, including his off season decision making and prioritization of the defense.

Or the important question, How do your coaches still have a job?

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Process said:

When the bills lost to the chiefs last year we all felt like we were the best team in the league, and should have won the Superbowl if not for an epic coaching blunder.

Beane nailed the year end press conference and addressed some very specific areas where the team needed to improve.

Everything about the way this season ended is the complete opposite.

It sounds like Beanes plan is to run it back and hope we get in a groove at the right time.

I hate to say it, but I agree.

Talks about needing to improve the lines, but then proceeds to defend Brown, and we can all presume he's not replacing Dawkins or Morse. So already, that's three of five linemen likely coming back. Defensive linemen wise, what can they do exactly? They don't have the money to sign any more big ticket free agents. They can't keep spending high picks on defensive linemen. All they can do there, really, is bank on "internal improvement".

Hearing "Josh's elbow" and "Dorsey was in year one and will grow" and "Gabe Davis will grow" and "we had a lot of injuries on defense" and "we didn't hit a groove at the right time"...it's hard not to think they'll sign a few bargain guys, draft a safety or linebacker to replace whichever of our defensive FAs leaves, and run it all back next year.

I would love a little more ruthless honestly and realistic self scouting here from Beane. I'm not hearing it.

I am a Brandon Beane fan. I believe that he is an above average general manager. This moment right now, though, is the most that my faith in him has been shaken since he became GM.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Used a first on S Diggs. Yes it worked but at some point to Justin Jefferson vs Stef Diggs and ask who really won that? 

With their drafting track record outside of Josh and Groot, what makes anyone think the Bills would have picked Jefferson, let alone played him? McDermott barely plays most rookies.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Process said:

Asked about the coaching staff

"We won 13 games"

Hes not wrong. Honestly I want more accountability for the team having hangovers collectively on Sunday. 13 games (Coulda been 14 who knows) Division winners.... we did good stuff.

I want to know why the team looks like they all took a fistfull of benadryl on gameday

Not a good look to use the Bengals' recent failure as an excuse for why they are now better than us. Their free agency spending got them DJ Reader, Trey Hendrickson, Hayden Hurst. Ours got us Mario Addison and Vernon Butler. Beane has to take more accountability. Our lack of difference makers rests entirely on his shoulders.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

This part really bothered me when Beane said it.

He was basically asked what he can take from the Bengals' build, and rather than state any one of the many obvious things that make the Bengals a good team -- strong up front on both sides of the ball, great wide receiver play, depth, etc -- he chose just about the worst possible answer.

To say that they "were lucky enough" to be "bad enough to get Ja'Marr Chase", he is essentially ducking accountability for still needing to be able to find difference makers later in round one and beyond. Lots of great NFL players -- receivers, especially -- are taken in late round one and beyond. For him to point to the "luck" of drafting high is to dodge the responsibility that he and his staff bare to find good players REGARDLESS of where in the draft they pick.

Yes, later in the interview he said that he and his staff need to hit on draft picks, but he's said that before. That's obvious. Those are just words. The "we don't pick early like the Bengals used to, so we're not getting a guy like that" and the insinuation of luck and high draft position as reasons for success were a bad look.

A lot of their team is high priced free agents, you can pull that off when your QB and #1 WR are cheap.  That's I believe what he is trying to say. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.