Beane End of Year Presser

thenorthremembers

5 hours ago, Process said:

When the bills lost to the chiefs last year we all felt like we were the best team in the league, and should have won the Superbowl if not for an epic coaching blunder.

Beane nailed the year end press conference and addressed some very specific areas where the team needed to improve.

Everything about the way this season ended is the complete opposite.

It sounds like Beanes plan is to run it back and hope we get in a groove at the right time.

This is evidence that he doesn’t actually know what he’s doing. His and McD’s vision for the team and sustainable winning was just spit back in their faces. Now they are scrambling for answers and don’t have any.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

He HAS to because he’s the idiot that took him from a small school even though he was unprepared to fill a glaring hole in the OL. How about draft an already good lineman from a real football school rather than playing a work-in-progress? You make every other work-in-progress sit and learn. This is pure deflection.

Brandon & Sean are the kings of deflection. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Since1981 said:

Will a team steal your HC OC or DC?
1: nope. 

Would 31 teams give you a 2nd round for your coach? 
2: nope. 

would you be upset if HC DC OC went to division opponent?

4: nope 

if “nope” to all 4 questions then you passed this IQ test. 

There are only 3 questions. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Cant operate solely on prior success.  

He contradicted himself at the PC

Yea he said “we won 13 games.”

But then went on to say “won’t be active in FA…..going to lose some guys…..and it’s the end with this group - implying every season brings turn over.”

Now my guess is he meant “our process works.”  

Can’t disagree with that.  

But you can say that - then tell us we’ll continue to do everything we can; we’re going to address the mistakes made that starts with me.  And we’re going to be better.”

You don’t go out there and refuse to admit there is a gap with us and Cincy.  You can at least say something like yea they have a good team.  So do we.  We’ll be back.  

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Beane's not lowering expectations a little bit on purpose. You could argue the expectations on this team from Day 1 of the season were off the charts and, I believe, were a burden. I think this team would like to fly under the radar a bit next year. Plus, if people think a GM is going to lay all his cards on the table in a post-season presser, well, that's just bad poker.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Slack_in_MA said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Beane's not lowering expectations a little bit on purpose. You could argue the expectations on this team from Day 1 of the season were off the charts and, I believe, were a burden. I think this team would like to fly under the radar a bit next year. Plus, if people think a GM is going to lay all his cards on the table in a post-season presser, well, that's just bad poker.

His cards were laid bare in Sunday's drubbing.  He told the truth today. KC and Cincy are better, and he doesn't know how to make the Bills good enough to beat them. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Since 2018 not one team has drafted more DL in the top 2 rounds than Buffalo.  During this same time frame, they have selected less WR in the top 3 rounds than any other teams.  It was on full display again the Bengals trotting out all their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round Wrs, will Beanes D line with all the capital used was completely invisible 

I hope Terry has an advisor, these answers ate exactly what I did not want to hear for the most part.  As great as Beane, McDermott have been, I dont think they possess the mentality to build an offensive team around Josh Allen

Bills should have the best DL in the league given all the investment.

3 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

But then went on to say “won’t be active in FA…..going to lose some guys…..and it’s the end with this group - implying every season brings turn over.”

But you can say that - then tell us we’ll continue to do everything we can; we’re going to address the mistakes made that starts with me.  And we’re going to be better.”

You don’t go out there and refuse to admit there is a gap with us and Cincy.  You can at least say something like yea they have a good team.  So do we.  We’ll be back.  

If Hyde, Miller, Poyer & White are healthy, you don't think we can compete with Cincy?

Name me a team that can be down 2 former All-Pros, have 2 more All-Pros playing nowhere near 100%, lose a backup(Hamlin) to one of the All-Pros, be down another starter(Jones) and have another playing with only one arm and compete with an offense as good as the Bengals. Those 4 All-Pro players have 12 All-Pro selections between them including a handful of 1st team honors. 4 out of our top 5(Milano is the 5th) players on defense were either out or really limited. We did what any team would've done in that situation, we got spanked by 1 of the best QBs and WR trios in the league. 

7 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Yes, but that was the Diggs pick.

Correct, just saying it happens from time to time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Well then done ***** up when they could've had the greatest Panther of all...McCaffrey. Maybe he was too good of a player for us to acquire?

The cost would have been / was exorbitant- the Bills also don’t have a Shanahan level run game guru as the OC. Great player, but not sure his results here would have been worth the considerable bevy of picks. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Logic said:

I hate to say it, but I agree.

Talks about needing to improve the lines, but then proceeds to defend Brown, and we can all presume he's not replacing Dawkins or Morse. So already, that's three of five linemen likely coming back. Defensive linemen wise, what can they do exactly? They don't have the money to sign any more big ticket free agents. They can't keep spending high picks on defensive linemen. All they can do there, really, is bank on "internal improvement".

Hearing "Josh's elbow" and "Dorsey was in year one and will grow" and "Gabe Davis will grow" and "we had a lot of injuries on defense" and "we didn't hit a groove at the right time"...it's hard not to think they'll sign a few bargain guys, draft a safety or linebacker to replace whichever of our defensive FAs leaves, and run it all back next year.

I would love a little more ruthless honestly and realistic self scouting here from Beane. I'm not hearing it.

I am a Brandon Beane fan. I believe that he is an above average general manager. This moment right now, though, is the most that my faith in him has been shaken since he became GM.

It sounds exactly (opposite) of what Ralph did during the drought years. Have a bunch of mediocre to terrible talent then sign a big name (M Williams, TO) to put a**es in the seats. Josh is the guy that gets a**es in the seats and so they’ll sign a bunch of mids to keep us fools from rioting.

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

His cards were laid bare in Sunday's drubbing.  He told the truth today. KC and Cincy are better, and he doesn't know how to make the Bills good enough to beat them. 

It's no secret they were all in on this year. Losing Miller hurt. Losing Hyde hurt. All the other realities throughout the season that everyone has conveniently forgotten really happened. Perhaps you can dredge up some contrarian posts you had from early in the season where you predicted we weren't built to win it all. You won't because you didn't. You believed like the rest of us. It didn't work out the  way you, me, Josh Allen, Sean McDermott, and Brandon Beane all believed it could.

Time to move forward, Armchair GM.

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I think Beane is preparing us for what's to come. He told us Cinci and KC are better than the Bills. He gave us no indication that the Bills can and will be better next season. Instead we got excuses and praise for the coaches. How in God's name can you praise the coaching staff after the Cinci game? Both coordinators got their butt whipped and Coach McD was lost on the sidelines. 

Maybe I'm not seeing things correctly. I would have rather seen a fired up Beane saying changes are gonna be made, I have to be better, and I look forward to fielding a better team. We will be ready to take on KC, Cinci, and whoever else is in our way. Instead, he placated, made excuses, and gave passes to his coaching staff. You tell me how that's a winning formula?

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The cost would have been / was exorbitant- the Bills also don’t have a Shanahan level run game guru as the OC. Great player, but not sure his results here would have been worth the considerable bevy of picks. 

$550,000 this year... I don't think you can get a player cheaper than that. Would have been worth every penny when we hoisted the Lombardi:cry:

6 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:
  • Josh thinks he is a linebacker, but you dont want to dissuade that.   He took more hits this year.   Needs to learn to get down.  He has to trust the playmakers, and the playmakers need to make plays. 

He took worse hits in the pocket and that directly on Beane / Coaching Staff

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Logic said:

I hate to say it, but I agree.

Talks about needing to improve the lines, but then proceeds to defend Brown, and we can all presume he's not replacing Dawkins or Morse. So already, that's three of five linemen likely coming back. Defensive linemen wise, what can they do exactly? They don't have the money to sign any more big ticket free agents. They can't keep spending high picks on defensive linemen. All they can do there, really, is bank on "internal improvement".

Hearing "Josh's elbow" and "Dorsey was in year one and will grow" and "Gabe Davis will grow" and "we had a lot of injuries on defense" and "we didn't hit a groove at the right time"...it's hard not to think they'll sign a few bargain guys, draft a safety or linebacker to replace whichever of our defensive FAs leaves, and run it all back next year.

I would love a little more ruthless honestly and realistic self scouting here from Beane. I'm not hearing it.

I am a Brandon Beane fan. I believe that he is an above average general manager. This moment right now, though, is the most that my faith in him has been shaken since he became GM.

One of Beane's greatest strengths has been his ability to stand in front of the media and deliver accountability and a clear plan of attacking our weaknesses. After each of the last seasons' disappointing endings his final press conference has always given me hope that the team was still headed in the right direction. Today was the first time that he seemed lost and unsure where to go from here. We've come to a point where several years of mediocre drafting and free agency spending has caught up to us and we have limited resources to fix the problems. I think Beane has realized that too and doesn't know what to say.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 8

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.