Beane End of Year Presser

thenorthremembers

3 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Unfortunately I think he has screwed uo the draft and neglected the offense so bad the last 4 years, It will be too much to overcome this offseason.  Im very happy to be wrong.  But I think they die with that major DL investment next year at the expense of not getting one of the best qbs viable weapons and protection.  Cowherd had a great point, Andy Reid rebuilt an Oline in 1 offseason, so did the Chargers.  This id Beanes 6th year and the Oline still couldn't be much worse.  Terrible drafting/Fa, roster management 

Yeah they needed to do more over the last two seasons thats for sure.  No they wont fix it in one off season. Hopefully they can nail a linemen in the draft and pick up someone cheap in FA that can at least do a better job than we had this year.  Allen will have to be superman again for another year.  Hopefully Dorsey has a better plan and the offense can execute.

We get Hyde back and hopefully Von back sooner than later next season. Hopefully the defense plays good enough that they can at least stop a few drives.  At this point thats all I can hope for.  They dont have the cap.  They dont have the resources to move up in the draft really.  I think this team will still be good during the season but SB?  They'll have to get luckier than they have been.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

One of Beane's greatest strengths has been his ability to stand in front of the media and deliver accountability and a clear plan of attacking our weaknesses. After each of the last seasons' disappointing endings his final press conference has always given me hope that the team was still headed in the right direction. Today was the first time that he seemed lost and unsure where to go from here. We've come to a point where several years of mediocre drafting and free agency spending has caught up to us and we have limited resources to fix the problems. I think Beane has realized that too and doesn't know what to say.

Thats also the impression I have at this point.

Very depressing press conference. He knows we are not good enough and he also knows we don’t have the resources to fix it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

How embarrassing this is. Hyde has never been All Pro, he made the Pro Bowl once. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HydeMi00.htm

No idea what your point about Von is. He's going to be 34 years old next year, if you think he's going to return to full firm you're kidding yourself, he's already not the player he used to be. He's great sure, but guys don't get faster and healthier in their mid 30s, let alone banking on all 3 to do it. 

Not embarrassing to me. Your info is wrong. I mean how many sources do you want......

https://www.lockportjournal.com/sports/bills-all-pro-micah-hyde-returns-to-practice-four-months-after-neck-surgery/article_b77fce57-c7b6-5ebe-8643-860c7fc72475.html

https://buffalowdown.com/2022/01/14/buffalo-bills-jordan-poyer-micah-hyde-all-pro/

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/jordan-poyer-and-micah-hyde-earn-all-pro-honors

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2022/01/14/buffalo-bills-micah-hyde-second-team-all-pro/

34 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I mean they don’t throw it to the RB’s anyways. So I don’t understand the plan there. Wasn’t Cook or Hynes suppose to be that guy 

And we don’t play press man which Elam did exclusively at Florida.  

Get a passing down RB and continue to not throw to RBs.  

These 2 things here show a disconnect in roster construction and the coaches and their philosophy.   

I’ve got more thoughts on this but I need more time to reflect.  Thinking about McDs comments yesterday about the trenches and weapons on offense - kind of indicting your front office there Sean.  Because it’s not made them a priority. 

I absolutely hated Beane’s comment (he was clearly ready to bust out) about “drafting Diggs in the first round.”  Gimme a break.  

Right now I do think there is a problem with McD and Beane.  They do not look like they are on the same page with personnel.  

And I blame Beane if he’s the freaking GM.  

I think Wawrow was on to something.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

He's not going to come right out and say what they're thinking, but I'm sure "run it back with who we have and not try to upgrade" is not part of the plan. Cmon now. 

Just because he speaks positively about a player doesn't mean he's not looking to bring in competition. 

The difference is in years past he has openly admitted the team's problems. After the Houston playoff loss he said we didn't have enough weapons around Josh. Two years ago he called out the TE room. Last year he said we didn't do a good enough job getting to the opposing QB. This year he didn't point out anything that needs to improve. Just said the current players went through some stuff and that was that. This team needs some major changes to get to championship level and I'm not sure Beane has a plan of how to get there. We are stuck in the 2nd class of the NFL if he can't figure it out.

• Agree 3

49 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

How embarrassing this is. Hyde has never been All Pro, he made the Pro Bowl once. 

No idea what your point about Von is. He's going to be 34 years old next year, if you think he's going to return to full firm you're kidding yourself, he's already not the player he used to be. He's great sure, but guys don't get faster and healthier in their mid 30s, let alone banking on all 3 to do it. 

Your link even says he was AP-2 in 17 and 21.

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Umm Hyde is 2nd team All Pro 2x (2017, 2021) and PB 1x (2017)

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Those numbers don’t lie. 

The Colts game and the AFCCG against the Chiefs are 100% on them.

I would give them a bit of a pass on last year's Chiefs game because Tre was out and any defense that lost a top 5 or so corner playing that Chiefs offense last year would struggle. But....they were equally as bad against the run that game and gave up a crazy 552 yards and 42 points. Even without Tre that should've been more like 400 - 425 yards and 30ish points if you're a good DC. So imo they get no pass for Tre being injured.

This year I think is the only year they should get a pass, though obviously past results show otherwise. But the amount of injuries and who those injuries were to, for that all to happen on one side of the ball is crazy. Hyde, Hamlin, Miller & Jones out. Poyer, White & Phillips really limited. How we held them to only 27, I have no idea. Watching the game I would've thought it was more like 41 points or so. Scoreboard was actually closer than the play on the field.

But I don't see how any defense overcomes all that against an offense as good as Cincy’s. I don't think the 49ers, Eagles or Cowboys defenses could lose that much talent and be successful against that offense. The 1st half of the year they were a really good defense, top 1 or 2 depending on the week, before all the injures finally caught up. That's with Hyde & White still being out at that time. But it's been nothing but smoke and mirrors for a 1/2 a season or so.

12 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I’ve got more thoughts on this but I need more time to reflect.  Thinking about McDs comments yesterday about the trenches and weapons on offense - kind of indicting your front office there Sean.  Because it’s not made them a priority. 

I absolutely hated Beane’s comment (he was clearly ready to bust out) about “drafting Diggs in the first round.”  Gimme a break.  

Right now I do think there is a problem with McD and Beane.  They do not look like they are on the same page with personnel.  

And I blame Beane if he’s the freaking GM.  

I think Wawrow was on to something.  

I don’t think Wawrow’s comments referenced the team being divided because the HC and GM aren’t entirely on the same page

I think it’s legit in some ways to consider Diggs as a first round pick.  The way in which it isn’t, of course, is that we didn’t get 4 years of cost controlled rookie salary.

That said I share your concern from their individual end of year pressers, that they don’t seem to be on the same page.  McDermott seemed to be saying that we lost the battle on the LOS (implying we need an upgrade to the OL and/or DL).  The DL, of course, had 2 starters parked on this sideline with injury and 2 more playing injured, so it’s not unreasonable to think maybe it would be adequate with those guys back and maybe an upgrade at the backups.  

That leaves the OL.   So to hear Beane talking about low-price FA and how Spencer Brown needed time was very distressing to me.

I felt like Beane was making excuses for himself wrt failure to improve the OL enough and to add enough quality at WR.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah they needed to do more over the last two seasons thats for sure.  No they wont fix it in one off season. Hopefully they can nail a linemen in the draft and pick up someone cheap in FA that can at least do a better job than we had this year.  Allen will have to be superman again for another year.  Hopefully Dorsey has a better plan and the offense can execute.

We get Hyde back and hopefully Von back sooner than later next season. Hopefully the defense plays good enough that they can at least stop a few drives.  At this point thats all I can hope for.  They dont have the cap.  They dont have the resources to move up in the draft really.  I think this team will still be good during the season but SB?  They'll have to get luckier than they have been.

Nice post Scott. 

• Like (+1) 1

I wish one of the reporters had pointed out Gabe Davis had a 51.6% catch percentage in the regular season which isn't a 1 off but an entire season trend & asked him is that good enough & couldn't you do better at WR2. Beane kept making it sound like everything's fine - not to over react to 1 game. But that was a season long problem. Really bothers me that he never conceded that anything needed to be changed, & made it sound like everything was fine they just had 1 bad day at the wrong time. It was not an honest evaluation of the team & doesn't bode well for next season. He was way more defensive than usual.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

You should've clarified that, in your original post. The fact is, Davis gets a case of 'the drops' whenever a defender gets his hands on him.

I posted that I should have clarified already 

13 hours ago, Process said:

Most of the questions being asked are beyond stupid. Stop asking him about KC and Cincinnati and start asking about the very glaring and obvious issues with this team, including his off season decision making and prioritization of the defense.

I thought the questions were horrible too many soft balls . For the first time I thought Beane was building an excuse factory. Beane and McD will never get us to the next level we have reached the peak of there build. The problem is there not going anywhere any time soon and get ready to lose next season at the same time and for the press conference to sound pretty much the same. At some point the Pegulas have to make the tough call and fire this regime but they won’t . The Bucs fired Dungy the Broncos did the same to John Fox they weren’t the answer and they figured it out in time to get that ring they desired at some point we have to do the same hopefully it’s not to late when the Pegulas figure it out. 

10 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

Claimed Spencer Brown played better in second half of season 🤦‍♂️.  Not impressed by answers seemed to be covering up for the poor ass coaching. 

He improved some, especially in run game. I’ve said all along we’re going to hear about how he didn’t have an offseason due to the back surgery.

He’s going to be penciled in at RT. My biggest worry is they believe Boettger can start at OG.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He improved some, especially in run game. I’ve said all along we’re going to hear about how he didn’t have an offseason due to the back surgery.

He’s going to be penciled in at RT. My biggest worry is they believe Boettger can start at OG.

Yes better in run game but we don’t run enough 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.