Beane End of Year Presser

thenorthremembers

7 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

If Hyde, Miller, Poyer & White are healthy, you don't think we can compete with Cincy?

Name me a team that can be down 2 former All-Pros, have 2 more All-Pros playing nowhere near 100%, lose a backup(Hamlin) to one of the All-Pros, be down another starter(Jones) and have another playing with only one arm and compete with an offense as good as the Bengals. Those 4 All-Pro players have 12 All-Pro selections between them including a handful of 1st team honors. 4 out of our top 5(Milano is the 5th) players on defense were either out or really limited. We did what any team would've done in that situation, we got spanked by 1 of the best QBs and WR trios in the league. 

Yea and their presence wouldn’t have caused us to be so dam flat. 

I think it was a big deal.  Losing Hyde was massive.  Losing Von even more so.

But we didn’t have Hyde and White vs the Chiefs.  And Poyer with busted ribs. 

How the hell did this team come out so flat in a home playoff game?  

With terrible game plans.  

Dorsey got his tail whooped.

So did McD and Frazier. 

Last 4 playoff losses:

-Blew 14 point 2nd half lead vs Houston

-Crushed by Chiefs 

-13 Seconds

-Embarrassed at home

Locker room is going to tune out.  Humble and hungry going to turn to hostile and hopeless.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

One of Beane's greatest strengths has been his ability to stand in front of the media and deliver accountability and a clear plan of attacking our weaknesses. After each of the last seasons' disappointing endings his final press conference has always given me hope that the team was still headed in the right direction. Today was the first time that he seemed lost and unsure where to go from here. We've come to a point where several years of mediocre drafting and free agency spending has caught up to us and we have limited resources to fix the problems. I think Beane has realized that too and doesn't know what to say.

I reluctantly agree.  On first pass - 

-I thought Beane and McDermott sounded out of step.
-McD isn’t ready to commit to his staff.  Beane defends Dorsey and talks about how he’ll improve in year 2.  

-McD talks about needing to improve the lines.  Beane defends Brown and talks about needing to find bargain FA

-McD talks about being beaten by a better team, Beane talks about not overreacting to one game and our team being worn down.  It was like Beane didn’t acknowledge any team weaknesses

-The part that grated on me most was talking about how we didn’t want to suck badly enough to draft Chase, we sucked about as badly Allen’s Rookie season and went Defense with our top pick.  Now maybe he’s saying we don’t want to suck enough NOW.  But it came across to me as excuse making (at best) and a salty shot at the Bengals, which does not look good on Beane to make.

Anyway I shared your disappointment and impression

22 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Sounds like Beane feels that game was a 1 off, don't over react. & is going to keep all the coaches & as much of the same roster as possible but tweak where he can w/ low cost free agents & the draft. Might work on the lines. But no major changes, largely run it back next year. 

That was kind of my interpretation

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Yea and their presence wouldn’t have caused us to be so dam flat. 

I think it was a big deal.  Losing Hyde was massive.  Losing Von even more so.

But we didn’t have Hyde and White vs the Chiefs.  And Poyer with busted ribs. 

How the hell did this team come out so flat in a home playoff game?  

With terrible game plans.  

Dorsey got his tail whooped.

So did McD and Frazier. 

Last 4 playoff losses:

-Blew 14 point 2nd half lead vs Houston

-Crushed by Chiefs 

-13 Seconds

-Embarrassed at home

Locker room is going to tune out.  Humble and hungry going to turn to hostile and hopeless.  

Our defense was great, either 1st or 2nd, every week until we played the Vikings. They were holding down offenses that were scoring at a good clip, at that time and doing the best of it(Miami, Balt, KC) on the road playing rookie corners. 

Unfortunately it was a 16 point lead blown in Houston.:ph34r: This criticism I agree with.

Everyone points to the 13 seconds, and rightfully so, but the defense also gave up 42 points and 552 yards. This criticism I agree with.

They did come out flat, I wonder if some of it was just coming full circle, playing the same team that they were when Hamlin's injury occurred. Or if they saw everyone that was either out or playing really injured on defense and knew what was coming. Counting Hamlin that's 4 players out and 3 playing nowhere near full capacity, all on 1 side of the ball. Going against 1 of the best QBs and the best WR trios in the league. Imo I don't think any playoff team could take those kinds of hits and beat an offense like Cincys. We were lucky they only scored 27 to he honest.

But that's how we would feel to about our offense, right? Even if it's the playoffs and we're playing on the road. If 4 of the other team's All-Pro defensive players were out or playing really hurt plus a few more players out and another playing really hurt. If we couldn't smoke them we'd be pissed, because no matter how good their defense was beforehand, they're not nearly as good at that moment and we should dominate them. Well, Cincy did just that.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

$550,000 this year... I don't think you can get a player cheaper than that. Would have been worth every penny when we hoisted the Lombardi:cry:

Not talking about the contract - the draft picks. Would have presumably cost Bills more because they had a better record at the time so they’d assume the Bills pick would be later. 

46 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

If Hyde, Miller, Poyer & White are healthy, you don't think we can compete with Cincy?

Name me a team that can be down 2 former All-Pros, have 2 more All-Pros playing nowhere near 100%, lose a backup(Hamlin) to one of the All-Pros, be down another starter(Jones) and have another playing with only one arm and compete with an offense as good as the Bengals. Those 4 All-Pro players have 12 All-Pro selections between them including a handful of 1st team honors. 4 out of our top 5(Milano is the 5th) players on defense were either out or really limited. We did what any team would've done in that situation, we got spanked by 1 of the best QBs and WR trios in the league. 

Correct, just saying it happens from time to time.

Injuries are par for the course for aging players in their early/mid-30s... another year older another step lost as well... if your strategy is for guys in their 30s to return to health and form you are setting yourself up for failure.

Hyde has never been all pro, he made the pro bowl once. Poyer did it (AP) the first time this year and was playing.

White was back and playing how long are you going to claim he's injured doesn't count, it's been more than enough time to recover from his injury, plenty of NFL players do it. 

The Bengals were missing 3 of 5 starting linemen, all great players, then a 4th injured mid game. Their line was tattered. Our defensive guru head coach couldnt take advantage the least bit. We played soft zone giving up everything underneath in the snow and then got run the hell over. Meanwhile we've invested an absurd amount of draft stock and free agency in our defensive line and got couldn't tell.

In the time the Bills made the playoffs with Allen 4 years ago the Bengals had a 1 win season, drafted Burrow, he blew his knee out abs had surgery, went to a super bowl, then embarrassed our defensive guru coach in the playoffs, who folds in the playoffs every year. 

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

I'm really stunned by this, thus far this has not been the type of GM to act like this. It feels like his usual honesty is absent because he doesn't want to call out this coaching staff and Sean.

Being critical, Ty Dunne had an article last year on the 13 seconds that was very critical of McD, he had another one on Monday after the loss. JW while still on here earlier this season alluded to issues within the locker room that could pull the team apart and further waste this season (I wish he wasn't chased off so we could have gotten more insight). Sometimes where there is smoke there truly is fire and we are not privy to see it all.

The cap situation being lamented on is entirely by his doing at the bequest of what Sean wants...

Beane's presser today lends some more credence to the entire organization only looked at the surface of what happened during those 13 seconds and a decision was made to run it back and add Von and replace Levi. I tend to think there has to be some tension within the organization with the poor play (development of the DL and those coveted and high picks), we need Elam (beat out by 6th round rookie and sparingly plays as a rookie) can't sniff the all rookie team, the push for RB with plans to use on offense that wasn't used in that role much during the season, he has to be fuming as these poor picks compound and increase the focus and scrutiny on the FO with their misses and lack of development or ability to get on the field. The excuse is that, again, it takes time to learn our D scheme (that was called basic by Cincy) and our offense that Hines, Cook, Shakir need time to learn (that was shut down and perfectly played against 66% of the time against Cincy who has only played us for like 5 quarters since 2019)? Beane was unwilling to be this honest or even with his usual honesty today, as it would tear Sean down and the organization is not looking to replace him. JMO

What’s the deal with Elam?  I liked him as a prospect, and in the limited amount of time I’ve seen him play, he looks like he belongs. Has anyone ever really said why he didn’t play more?

1 minute ago, Billl said:

What’s the deal with Elam?  I liked him as a prospect, and in the limited amount of time I’ve seen him play, he looks like he belongs. Has anyone ever really said why he didn’t play more?

it wasn't his turn....

I kid I kid...

No clue really - McD and Company tend to got with what they know vs the unknown. This is why you get Dane Jackson who is mostly in position, but never makes  play

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Since1981 said:

Higgins=Daboll knew about him. Our OC couldn’t see it. 

I have concern for Kim and Terry. Then after I wonder if owner not ready or unable to make hard choices now. Choices take time, attention, stamina. Hard choices take even more. 

I am super frustrated. I think some seats are likely getting warm for a few people at OBD. 

But Christ, 11.5 of their last 12 years of hockey ownership makes me terrified to charge them with hiring a new FO/Coaching staff for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

We have 24 FA.  There will likely be a lot of new faces on this team next season.  Dont expect any big names.  The only FA's that are going to take peanuts contracts are also JAGS just like we have.  He needs to nail the drafts.  There is no cap space.  We are an est 15 mil over the cap and have 24 people to sign just to get a full 53 man roster.  They arent going to restructure the entire team to sign some big name.

Like I said, just have to wait and see.

58 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

One of Beane's greatest strengths has been his ability to stand in front of the media and deliver accountability and a clear plan of attacking our weaknesses. After each of the last seasons' disappointing endings his final press conference has always given me hope that the team was still headed in the right direction. Today was the first time that he seemed lost and unsure where to go from here. We've come to a point where several years of mediocre drafting and free agency spending has caught up to us and we have limited resources to fix the problems. I think Beane has realized that too and doesn't know what to say.

This is where I am at too. He looked like a deer in headlights today. 

Beane has been good for us and the turnaround. But when I look at the Bengals and Chiefs, their recent drafts, and upcoming cap space to keep the train on the tracks I have some major concerns about how we keep up. 

I am not sure Beane has done anything worthy of being let go immediately. But he’s proven he hasn’t had the ability to keep up? 

I think he gets another draft before he is on the hot seat. And he has to hit it out of the park.  But in his words we are are currently in a bit of cap hell plus compounding bad drafts. 

5 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Beane looked lost today and I don’t like boat of confidence he gave Ken Dorsey today. Sounds like they’re running it back with him next year. Big mistake smh

Maybe he’ll finally land that elusive receiving RB, and finally everything will come together!

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Injuries are par for the course for aging players in their early/mid-30s... another year older another step lost as well... if your strategy is for guys in their 30s to return to health and form you are setting yourself up for failure.

Hyde has never been all pro, he made the pro bowl once. Poyer did it (AP) the first time this year and was playing.

White was back and playing how long are you going to claim he's injured doesn't count, it's been more than enough time to recover from his injury, plenty of NFL players do it. 

The Bengals were missing 3 of 5 starting linemen, all great players, then a 4th injured mid game. Their line was tattered. Our defensive guru head coach couldnt take advantage the least bit. We played soft zone giving up everything underneath in the snow and then got run the hell over. Meanwhile we've invested an absurd amount of draft stock and free agency in our defensive line and got couldn't tell.

In the time the Bills made the playoffs with Allen 4 years ago the Bengals had a 1 win season, drafted Burrow, he blew his knee out abs had surgery, went to a super bowl, then embarrassed our defensive guru coach in the playoffs, who folds in the playoffs every year. 

😂 I stopped reading once you said Hyde had never been an All-Pro. Hmm was just selected as an All-Pro last year, for only the 2nd time(2017) in his career! Also Hyde is already medically cleared, he said so just the other day, he would've played this week had we won.

As for Von, he was walking without crutches or a knee brace right after surgery and was going up and down stair within a week. He's already came out and said he'll be ready for week 1 and that this ACL surgery wasn't as bad as the 1st one because all the painful stuff, such as drilling holes in bone, they were able to reuse from the 1st surgery which creates a quicker recovery timeline.

All this wrong in just the first two paragraphs I read. Didn’t mean to interrupt you, please continue spouting more of your garbage.😂😂

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

I think Edmunds is gone.  You don’t talk about how nice a guy is who you’re gonna give $20m a year to.  Beane sounded disappointed in Oliver.  He defended Dorsey pretty strongly.  Barely talked about Frazier.  Hines ain’t getting cut which means Singletary is probably gone.  Defensive about Spencer Brown in a similar way he was about Dorsey.  

7 minutes ago, Mango said:

This is where I am at too. He looked like a deer in headlights today. 

Beane has been good for us and the turnaround. But when I look at the Bengals and Chiefs, their recent drafts, and upcoming cap space to keep the train on the tracks I have some major concerns about how we keep up. 

I am not sure Beane has done anything worthy of being let go immediately. But he’s proven he hasn’t had the ability to keep up? 

I think he gets another draft before he is on the hot seat. And he has to hit it out of the park.  But in his words we are are currently in a bit of cap hell plus compounding bad drafts. 

Maybe he’ll finally land that elusive receiving RB, and finally everything will come together!

I mean they don’t throw it to the RB’s anyways. So I don’t understand the plan there. Wasn’t Cook or Hynes suppose to be that guy 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

😂 I stopped reading once you said Hyde had never been an All-Pro. Hmm was just selected as an All-Pro last year, for only the 2nd time(2017) in his career! Also Hyde is already medically cleared, he said so just the other day, he would've played this week had we won.

As for Von, he was walking without crutches or a knee brace right after surgery and was going up and down stair within a week. He's already came out and said he'll be ready for week 1 and that this ACL surgery wasn't as bad as the 1st one because all the painful stuff, such as drilling holes in bone, they were able to reuse from the 1st surgery which creates a quicker recovery timeline.

All this wrong in just the first two paragraphs I read. Didn’t mean to interrupt you, please continue spouting more of your garbage.😂😂

How embarrassing this is. Hyde has never been All Pro, he made the Pro Bowl once. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HydeMi00.htm

No idea what your point about Von is. He's going to be 34 years old next year, if you think he's going to return to full firm you're kidding yourself, he's already not the player he used to be. He's great sure, but guys don't get faster and healthier in their mid 30s, let alone banking on all 3 to do it. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Versus

Same group we are running it back with. I'm not impressed and Beane likely isn't eaither

And we're likely not running it back with them. Just because he didn't tell you in the end of the year presser doesn't mean a thing. Bet those aren't the 5 come week 1 next year.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I mean they don’t throw it to the RB’s anyways. So I don’t understand the plan there. Wasn’t Cook or Hynes suppose to be that guy 

That was the joke.

This staff, either McDermott or Beane have been hell bent on getting in a receiving RB. Yeldon had 500 receiving yards the year before getting here but was regularly a healthy scratch. 

I feel the same about TE2. We rarely target our super athletic TE1. Even if we cloned Knox, it wouldn’t change anything. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.