Bill O’Brien - thoughts about him as OC?

dave mcbride

BOB is a pretty decent coordinator who has won with crappy QB play in Houston. The major problem remains the talent around Mac is just not there and they are dead last in the division in skill position talent. Add in the retirement of David Andrews also on the offensive line it will take a lot of work to make something functional.

I think Mac will look better and probably much like his form his rookie year with some improvement, but again even with some internal improvement his cast just does not have a lot to work with. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

I think we need a change at both coordinators. Dorsey isn't good enough and with the defense, i think a change in philosophy is needed, similar to getting Wade after Corey.

This is where I’m at, too.  I’m definitely done with Dorsey.  I could probably live with Frazier for another year.  But if somebody said that we would change it up a bit and take a whack at Vic Fangio, I wouldn’t be totally against it.  Not sure how our personnel fits with Fangio’s style.  But, then again, we’re going to have some turnover on that side of the ball.  So maybe now’s the time to switch it up. 

4 minutes ago, corta765 said:

BOB is a pretty decent coordinator who has won with crappy QB play in Houston. The major problem remains the talent around Mac is just not there and they are dead last in the division in skill position talent. Add in the retirement of David Andrews also on the offensive line it will take a lot of work to make something functional.

I think Mac will look better and probably much like his form his rookie year with some improvement, but again even with some internal improvement his cast just does not have a lot to work with. 

Umm David Andrews didn’t retire. The only 2 retirements they are expecting are McCourty, and special teams Captain Slater. 

The Pats biggest weakness on O are both tackle positions. Wynn never lived up to his 1st round draft position, and Brown had a terrible year. I believe that both of them had  the most penalties for Tackles. (Which is sad considering Wynn missed like half the season.)  Add in the pressures they give up and it was a nightmare.  Unless they fix this issue they could have the next Moss and Rice out there and it be useless. 

6 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Umm David Andrews didn’t retire. The only 2 retirements they are expecting are McCourty, and special teams Captain Slater. 

Whoops my bad they made it seem like he was. Just read he restructured, that helps a bit.

BOB will be an upgrade over Patricia, but they still have McCorkle so I'm not worried about it.

I dont think BOB would have been a good fit in Buffalo, personality-wise. He's pretty much a huge ahole. Not sure how Josh and Diggs and the guys would mesh with that. Or even McD. And it's not like he is this standout offensive guru that makes it worth putting up with his personality. He's just ok, and then a dick on top of it.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

His seat is significantly warmer now than when Frazier was hired.

I’m not sure about that.  Depends on the financial commitment.  And, to take a step back, McD has us right there.  I’m not ready to nuke him yet. (A catastrophic WC loss next year may change my tune.)  We shouldn’t forget that Sean Payton was one but a single super bowl, that it took Reid years to get it done, that Sean McVay is a dropped INT from being in the same boat, etc.  time to retool and double down in Josh.  

also, the bet here is that at least one coordinator is gone and that McD is going to take this week to let the HC process shake out and line up replacement(s). 

Edited by SectionC3

If Josh still wants Dorsey then he is going nowhere. I hope they don't waste another year of Josh's prime with an OC that cannot scheme to protect the franchise from blitzes or understand situational football. An OC who can't comprehend a short passing game to protect Josh from absorbing all the punishment he got this year waiting for the constant deep pass routes to develop. No adjustments for a run and pass scheme that an average at best OL can better protect Josh. DCs have Dorsey figured out and relying on Josh to be superman every week is not sustainable.  We need a new OC and pronto.

52 minutes ago, DJB said:

Almost there!

Could be the next Maclin or Ertz here 

Only 3 pages for a guy that was just hired somewhere else. Cmon TBD you can do better than that.

I like the Ertz idea. Perhaps a three way trade. Ertz and O'Brien to Buffalo, Kingsbury to New England, and Cardinals get a baseball bat and glove for Murray. 

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

BOB will be an upgrade over Patricia, but they still have McCorkle so I'm not worried about it.

I dont think BOB would have been a good fit in Buffalo, personality-wise. He's pretty much a huge ahole. Not sure how Josh and Diggs and the guys would mesh with that. Or even McD. And it's not like he is this standout offensive guru that makes it worth putting up with his personality. He's just ok, and then a dick on top of it.

We will see about Jones, he and O’Brian have history and well BOB does better with pocket passers it seems lol.  The main issue needs be fixed is the OLine otherwise it all doesn’t matter.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.