Rare Unity on TBD

Mark92

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Yesterdays game was not about the coaches.

We were simply outmatched. Physically. 

The talent discrepancy was glaring.

Could the coaches have made better decisions to make it a bit closer? Sure. But the reason we lost is the Bengals are better.

Yes. This is what I came away with. The Bills need better players. Or at least they need one or two more dominant play makers. The oline and dline especially.

The Bengals play in a very physically demanding division. I watched them play the Ravens last week and that worried me. I saw how physical they had to be to get the win. The Bills are not like that.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yes. This is what I away with. The Bills need better players. Or at least they need one or two more dominant play makers. The oline and dline especially.

The Bengals play in a very physically demanding division. I watched them play the Ravens last week and that worried me. I saw how physical they had to be to get the win. The Bills are not like that.

Yesterday IMO, the Ravens w Lamar / Jags / Chargers / Dolphins with Tua would have beaten the Bills. 

• Dislike 1

21 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yes. This is what I came away with. The Bills need better players. Or at least they need one or two more dominant play makers. The oline and dline especially.

Our players were fine during last year's KC divisional game. Our coaches were not I think we've gone as far as we can with them. We didn't show up yesterday. We looked beat after their second TD. They played with confidence and swagger. We looked confused and beaten. That is coaching. 

• Disagree 1

It was a bad day. The team was emotionally drained, banged up, and the elements didn't help (we're a finesse team, not physical - and the snow exposed that).

We do need to become a more physical, tougher team. But McD isn't going anywhere. I'd be fine w/ any changes outside of that.

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Yesterdays game was not about the coaches.

We were simply outmatched. Physically. 

The talent discrepancy was glaring.

Could the coaches have made better decisions to make it a bit closer? Sure. But the reason we lost is the Bengals are better.

You're right Einstein.  It was the Bills defensive players that decided to be 8 yards off coverage on 3rd and 4.  It was the players that schemed a defense to give chase 8.2 yards of seperation.

Some of us lived through this 25+ years ago, where the team was just good enough to fall short.  I was in my 20's then, late 50's now. Yesterday, i realized that i will never see this team win a SB in my lifetime. Probably won't see them get back to on either.

And to make things worse, I have to listed to that god-awful Fly-Eagles-Fly song relentlessly.  

Couple of opinions in no particular order…. (Kinda long)

Right now, Tre doesn’t have the speed or burst we’re used to seeing.  With the surgery he had they’re back in a year but really back in two.  He’ll be fine next season.

A few times in the past Sean has taken over defense calls and the team is much more aggressive.  I think they’re hoping Leslie gets a HC shot.  If he doesn’t maybe he’ll retire?  But I believe his time is done.

Earlier this season we saw the defense without Tremaine and it was bad.  I think they have to keep him.

Poyer and Hyde…   One goes, one stays.  Think we’ll keep Hyde.

I’m sure there’s more but that’ll do for now.   I really wasn’t too upset after the game yesterday.  If we had lost a close game there wouldn’t have been any changes but after that debacle something has to happen 👍

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

AH, so having Edmonds cover Chase on that first drive was due to being physically outmatched? Not coaching? 

3rd and 2 and we line Tre up SIX YARDS of Chase. That wasn't because of coaching? 

I'll repeat the last sentence in that post you quoted:

"Could the coaches have made better decisions to make it a bit closer? Sure. But the reason we lost is the Bengals are better."

3 hours ago, Mark92 said:

I don't post on here that often but I definitely lurk and read a lot.  I think we can all agree that it's rare to see such unity when it comes to a certain opinion.  Normally after the season ends you always get a thread or 2 about firing this coach or that coach or trading this player or that player.  What's unusual is it normally stops or you see rebuttal posts.  Yes it hasn't been 24 hrs yet but the majority of us realize something needs to change.  Is it the GM, the head coach, the Coordinators, position coach's or players?  Lots of opinions but we all seem to agree that major shakeup needs to happen.  We finally have Josh Allen here in Buffalo and we can't keep doing this.  If Beane truly wants to win a Super Bowl then EVERYTHING is on the table this morning.  Good job TBD and I hope we can keep their feet to the fire.  

2 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Pssshhhh.  I'm pretty happy winning 12+ games every year and being one of the top teams in the hunt every year.  The grass usually is NOT greener on the other side.  We lost a playoff game with an injury, tragedy, acts of God filled season of turmoil; still having 13 wins and a playoff win.  I'm OK with that and don't see the need to overreact.  So funny how everyone is running to fire our coaches when we just had the 2nd highest scoring team with the 2nd fewest points allowed.  We lost Von to injury, it killed our pass rush and ruined our real SB chances.  It's really that simple.

What we have here is a battle of the Marks. On one hand Mark92 is fed up with our playoff losses and wants a change. While Mark80 seems to living in a Disney movie and is content to blame it on injuries and tragic events.

The problem for Mark80 is this is the 3rd straight playoff lose where our defense got smoked. As I wrote in another thread..

Over the last 3 years the defense has leaked like a sieve in playoff loses. 439 yards, 552 yards & yesterday 412 yards. 1st downs given up 29, 30 & 30. Opposing QBs in those 3 games 85/118, 945 yards, 8 TDs, 0 ints, QB Rating of 118.08!!! If that wasn't bad enough they also gave up 468 yards rushing(156 on average) in those 3 games. Someone needs to be fired for this. That is the very definition of a bad defense and defensive philosophy.

Who will survive the battle of the Marks? Who will be the one kicked off TBD Island? Tune in next week to find out!

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

What we have here is a battle of the Marks. On one hand Mark92 is fed up with our playoff losses and wants a change. While Mark80 seems to living in a Disney movie and is content to blame it on injuries and tragic events.

The problem for Mark80 is this is the 3rd straight playoff lose where our defense got smoked. As I wrote in another thread..

Over the last 3 years the defense has leaked like a sieve in playoff loses. 439 yards, 552 yards & yesterday 412 yards. 1st downs given up 29, 30 & 30. Opposing QBs in those 3 games 85/118, 945 yards, 8 TDs, 0 ints, QB Rating of 118.08!!! If that wasn't bad enough they also gave up 468 yards rushing(156 on average) in those 3 games. Someone needs to be fired for this. That is the very definition of a bad defense and defensive philosophy.

Who will survive the battle of the Marks? Who will be the one kicked off TBD Island? Tune in next week to find out!

Someone needs to give Terry P this information, I'm not sure he's seeing it

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I have my eyes on Beane he has relied for 3 years on Josh making mediocre receivers and olinemen look better than they are while he gets these defensive fantasties in the draft and free agency. 
This has to change 

Agreed...I just want to point out that I very much doubt there has been a single premium Draft pick since McD has been here that he has not had a major say in. In fact I think it works like...Here's what we need...find me this...then bring them in and I'll tell you which one I like best. Now that is just my opinion. And I do think they all agree most of the time. But my point is that McD is a HUGE part of who we pick and should not be off-the-hook in that area. B-)

5 hours ago, Mark92 said:

I don't post on here that often but I definitely lurk and read a lot.  I think we can all agree that it's rare to see such unity when it comes to a certain opinion.  Normally after the season ends you always get a thread or 2 about firing this coach or that coach or trading this player or that player.  What's unusual is it normally stops or you see rebuttal posts.  Yes it hasn't been 24 hrs yet but the majority of us realize something needs to change.  Is it the GM, the head coach, the Coordinators, position coach's or players?  Lots of opinions but we all seem to agree that major shakeup needs to happen.  We finally have Josh Allen here in Buffalo and we can't keep doing this.  If Beane truly wants to win a Super Bowl then EVERYTHING is on the table this morning.  Good job TBD and I hope we can keep their feet to the fire.  

what’s the point in the rebuttal…..same ***** different day after any loss

1 hour ago, KOKBILLS said:

Agreed...I just want to point out that I very much doubt there has been a single premium Draft pick since McD has been here that he has not had a major say in. In fact I think it works like...Here's what we need...find me this...then bring them in and I'll tell you which one I like best. Now that is just my opinion. And I do think they all agree most of the time. But my point is that McD is a HUGE part of who we pick and should not be off-the-hook in that area. B-)

Oh I agree they all have qualities that Sean is looking for but judging by his picks I don’t know what those qualities  are 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Pssshhhh.  I'm pretty happy winning 12+ games every year and being one of the top teams in the hunt every year.  The grass usually is NOT greener on the other side.  We lost a playoff game with an injury, tragedy, acts of God filled season of turmoil; still having 13 wins and a playoff win.  I'm OK with that and don't see the need to overreact.  So funny how everyone is running to fire our coaches when we just had the 2nd highest scoring team with the 2nd fewest points allowed.  We lost Von to injury, it killed our pass rush and ruined our real SB chances.  It's really that simple.

This is a great perspective, thanks for posting it.

9 hours ago, Philly McButterpants said:

Some of us lived through this 25+ years ago, where the team was just good enough to fall short.  I was in my 20's then, late 50's now. Yesterday, i realized that i will never see this team win a SB in my lifetime. Probably won't see them get back to on either.

We're pretty much of the same mindset. I was pretty melancholy yesterday...not so much because of the loss (there have been many worse ones over the years)...but because it dawned on me that I will probably never see this organization win a Lombardi Trophy. My grandmother never got to experience that joy, neither did my father or my mother. My aunt and uncle, who are also Bills fans, are now in their mid-70s and probably never will either. I will be 60 this Fall and have been chasing this elusive dream since I was a little kid growing up in WNY. The few realistic chances that have been provided by this mostly moribund franchise are always painfully squandered. In the early 1990s, when I was in my late 20s, I thought for sure it was just a matter of time. Now? Not so much. I've been hopelessly in love with the girl who doesn't love me back for over half a century but I just can't quit her...

16 hours ago, Mark92 said:

So you are happy with running everything back next year?  Same everything just a few different players?

The solution is simple. We need some Fitzmagic. Start him as QB coach. We pick Fitzys big brain and like magic Chan Gaileys whole playbook appears. The bearded one knows how to use it. Innovation at our finger tips. Besides that Fitzmagic and Josh think alike. Punish the opposition with your body when needed. 

What say thee @Mark92

22 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Like it or not, McDermott ain’t going anywhere.  I think the best we can hope for is McBeane realizes you gotta bring in a fresh voice at D coordinator who can do more with less and allocate more cap resources to the offense.

I don’t see a need to make major changes to management or coaching, other than maybe a philosophy change to the offense and defense.  If it’s going to be a passing offense, get O-linemen that are strong at pass protection.  As someone else had posted, try to make the offense more balanced.  If this requires changing coordinators or position coaches, then consider it.

For the defense, I would prefer a more aggressive scheme. I’m sick of seeing receivers open all over the field and the frequency of 3rd and very long conversions by the opponent.

Lastly, I now believe what I’ve read today that this team was just spent. All the issues they had to deal with just caught up to them and they were mentally and physically exhausted.  Sure, the Bengals may now be a better team, but it wasn’t the only reason for Sunday’s performance.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.