Good Enough...Got to Be Better Next Week

Wizard

Grateful for a win! We were good enough today. I had many people insinuate that my post on needing a Dominating win was not necessary. That's true...a win is a win.

Still...my post was accurate in that a game like today will be this team's last game of the season if we follow the recent trends.

1. The team gets lead and then handout costly turnovers and aren't putting teams away.

2. The defense has become much more vulnerable as playoff offenses are more potent usually and Tre White (currently is a liability.)

3. Poor time management and use of timeouts are baffling.

4. The offensive line is a wreck.

I know this post will get lots of negative emojis, but the Bills need a dominant win or at least quality play in all three phases.

Set fandom aside for a moment (not completely possible, of course), and other than Josh Allen's abilities and our shared love for the Bills, did this game boost confidence?

Frazier, Dorsey, and McDermott got to figure it out. Despite the many wins, passion, and talent on this team, today's game should be a reminder that excellent fundamental football is needed to get past round 2.

Good enough to win today, yet we got to be great/dominate going here on out.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

Just now, Wizard said:

Grateful for a win! We were good enough today. I had many people insinuate that my post on needing a Dominating win was not necessary. That's true...a win is a win.

Still...my post was accurate in that a game like today will be this team's last game of the season if we follow the recent trends.

1. The team gets lead and then handout costly turnovers and aren't putting teams away.

2. The defense has become much more vulnerable as playoff offenses are more potent usually and Tre White (currently is a liability.)

3. Poor time management and use of timeouts are baffling.

4. The offensive line is a wreck.

I know this post will get lots of negative emojis, but the Bills need a dominant win or at least quality play in all three phases.

Set fandom aside for a moment (not completely possible, of course), and other than Josh Allen's abilities and our shared love for the Bills, did this game boost confidence?

Frazier, Dorsey, and McDermott got to figure it out. Despite the many wins, passion, and talent on this team, today's game should be a reminder that excellent fundamental football is needed to get past round 2.

Agree on a lot of that.  The good news is, we know they CAN play a great game.  They have a lot to clean up, not a well-oiled machine right now.  But I think they will have a better approach next week and play better.  Whether that equates to a win, who knows.

• Like (+1) 1

Considering all the injuries and the way the year went, it wouldn't be horrible to lose to the Bengals.

Next yeer they need the D to be healthy, get some oline help and a #2 wr,  they will be back.

If it was me, I'd get a new O coordinator.

Edited by Albwan
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Albwan said:

Considering all the injuries and the way the year went, it wouldn't be horrible to lose to the Bengals.

Next yeer they need the D to be healthy, get some oline help and a #2 wr,  they will be back.

If it was me, I'd get a new O coordinator.

It would be horrible. Yes it would be very horrible. I don’t need this next year talk or excuses made. They need to tighten their sacks and man the F up. 

12 minutes ago, Wizard said:

This has been the story of the Bills season for like the last 8 or maybe 9 games.

The goal here is winning a Super Bowl. That's a long road.

We were ALWAYS going to need to play much better and smarter, if we were going to win it all.

Next week against the Bengals is where push will come to shove.

Either we deliver a gem that is inconsistent with who we have been for several months now, or our season ends.

I am hoping for a huge surprise, but not expecting one.

• Agree 1

in the end its a win.  they survived and have another chance to show people that they deserve to be talked about as one of the elites of the league.    sure didnt show it today,  doesnt feel like a win imo.   go out there and show us all that you arent a mistake prone team.   i dont expect blowouts,  i do expect a team to not create its own problems.

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This has been the story of the Bills season for like the last 8 or maybe 9 games.

The goal here is winning a Super Bowl. That's a long road.

We were ALWAYS going to need to play much better and smarter, if we were going to win it all.

Next week against the Bengals is where push will come to shove.

Either we deliver a gem that is inconsistent with who we have been for several months now, or our season ends.

I am hoping for a huge surprise, but not expecting one.

Always a chance the Bengals lose tonight.  Long shot sure...but we just saw a 14 point dog lose by only 3 and damn near win it.  Still have to play the games.

Hate to ask this question....

But does it really come down to JA just tossing a ball up in the air under pressure (up 17) that becomes an INT and a 50 yard return?  Which turned into points.

And then a JA fumble where he didn't recognize the blitz and fumbled and cost the team 7 points?

To me, the issue is the book says to pressure (blitz) JA because he doesn't handle it properly, and that only got more support today.

So we're bashing the team, but JA himself cost them about 70 yards and 14 points today.  I'm not bashing, just saying if one guy makes some better decisions, the Team would have looked a lot better.

(I don't blame him for the INT off Beasley's chest when a penalty arguably could have been called).

OL protection and DL pressure need to be addressed.

• Agree 1

Really need Hyde back.  Poyer is trying to do 2 peoples job and he's doing neither well.  The blitzes were encouraging.  Josh was fine actually should have had 50 points of not for Knox and shakir drop...

And miami literally got gifted 21 points.  

Just need to be cleaner. 

After this game I'm so confused as to what goes on in Ken Dorsey's head and I really want to know if he actually

watches games to see what options he actually has.

I was patient thinking when the playoffs started, we would see a more rounded offense.

I'm not going to worry about it anymore.  I'm 100% convinced it's going to be bombs away to win the SB or bust.

Personally, I disagree with this approach, but I see no evidence to the contrary.  

Go Bills.

• Agree 1

Just now, OrangeBills said:

Hate to ask this question....

But does it really come down to JA just tossing a ball up in the air under pressure (up 17) that becomes an INT and a 50 yard return?  Which turned into points.

And then a JA fumble where he didn't recognize the blitz and fumbled and cost the team 7 points?

To me, the issue is the book says to pressure (blitz) JA because he doesn't handle it properly, and that only got more support today.

So we're bashing the team, but JA himself cost them about 70 yards and 14 points today.  I'm not bashing, just saying if one guy makes some better decisions, the Team would have looked a lot better.

(I don't blame him for the INT off Beasley's chest when a penalty arguably could have been called).

OL protection and DL pressure need to be addressed.

The book does not say blitz Josh. He actually handles the blitz as well as anybody.

Josh has to do everything on his own which leads to a very inconsistent result. I think some of that is on Josh, but some of that is also on Dorsey. We are way past the era that Buffalo will build a game plan to help prevent Josh from feeling like he has to do everything (which might not be the worst idea). As his star has risen it's now become the Josh Allen show and the Josh Allen show by itself has never been consistent. Amazing at times, but never consistent. In addition to this the defense not being able to get off the field. Blown coverages. Constantly conceding yardage to avoid the big play. Lack of aggression in defensive play calling. All of that is very bad right now. Which is along the same very bad reasons we lost last year at KC. 

I can't disagree w/ anything in the OP.

But, every time we advance, we start from scratch. It would honestly not surprise me if we beat Cincy (if they make it) by multiple scores next week.

We're so talented, and explosive at times.  We'll give every team a fight.

Edited by Success

I think we miss Daboll.  He would get in Josh’s face or through the helmet Mike and scream at him to take the short routes.  We all love Josh but too much hero ball the last half of the season.

The line got killed by blitzes, mostly in the interior.  I thought Brown played well, but next year we might need to let Morse retire, move Bates to C, and focus the draft on a couple high end linemen.

On D the best thing might be for Frazier to get a HC job, and have a DC that is more aggressive.  

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

Do we need to score more than 34 or give up less than 31 to be better next week? 

Less than 31 I think. 

The turnovers just need to end from here out honestly and we are fine. 

We have now won 8 straight games in a row. Might not always be pretty but this team knows how to win these close games now. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.