Potential decision made for Championship Game location

Ra-cha-cha

1 minute ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Ok if you say so, I say pointing to any loss of any game and saying well you should have won that game to avoid this given this unique unpresented situation is ridiculous.

It's not just a random loss.  It was their last loss to get them at 4 losses.  They lost that game on MNF and dropped to 4-4 after that game.  If they don't lose that specific game, they would be the same record as Buffalo and would be the 2 seed right now.  Going into Week 17, they would be the 1 seed, actually.

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

The NFL appears to be saying that since the Bills and Bengals both played the same amount of games, it doesn't matter. The record determines the seeding...

But the fairest thing in that scenario, imo, is a neutral field. 

The fairest thing in ANY scenario is a neutral field.

Point is, the Bills have more wins than the Bengals in the same number of games. There's no logical reason to make that a neutral field matchup.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mango said:

Any tie between just BUF and CIN for a single games home field should go to CIN. They lost their opportunity for the one home game, without a loss to the Ravens, Buffalo should have to play in their house.

They will, if these things happen:

- Chiefs lose to Raiders

- Bills lose to Pats

- Bengals beat Ravens

Then both teams are 12-4.  Bengals get the 2 based on SOS tiebreaker and host Buffalo in any matchup.

If the Bills beat the Pats, then the Bills will be 13-3 and Bengals 12-4 (or 11-5), and the Bills get the 2 seed and host Cincy in any matchup.

It's really not that hard to understand.  I don't get the logic behind just awarding home field to Cincinnati no matter what.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

For selfish reasons let it be at MetLife Stadium. I live 20 minutes from there. Although I don't know if that would be considered a neutral site location. Bills fans have been invading MetLife in large numbers. Recently the crowds have been 50-50 and that is against the Jets. I don't know how many Chiefs fans would travel but the Bills would have the majority of the crowd at MetLife.

I could be wrong, but it's record against common opponents (minimum of 4).  If that's the case, we win that tie breaker. 

Two Clubs

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs)

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Strength of victory.

Strength of schedule.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-tie-breaking-procedures/

Edited by jamiezzz

29 minutes ago, jamiezzz said:

I could be wrong, but it's record against common opponents (minimum of 4).  If that's the case, we win that tie breaker. 

Two Clubs

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs)

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Strength of victory.

Strength of schedule.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-tie-breaking-procedures/

with a Bills loss and a Bengals win on Sunday, we’d both be 8-3 in games against common opponents.

So, it would go to Strength of Victory which I believe the Bengals would have a very slight edge on us.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

with a Bills loss and a Bengals win on Sunday, we’d both be 8-3 in games against common opponents.

So, it would go to Strength of Victory which I believe the Bengals would have a very slight edge on us.

Do other games this weekend matter like a Steelers win?

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

What about the case where Cinci and Buffalo win but KC loses.  In that scenario the records would be

Bills 13-3

Cinci 12-4

KC 13-4

But if Cinci has beaten the Bills there would be a three way tie, Cinci woudl have beaten BUF and KC, should that game not be at a neutral site if Buf and Cinci are in the championship game?

Maybe, but the way the league is handling it is that Buffalo and Cinci at least played the same number of games, and buffalo won more of them, so they're the 1 seed.

5 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Yes, but probably not enough to change things, especially since the Bengals would be beating a stronger team (Baltimore) than we would be losing to (Patriots)

4 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

gah I had a huge long post types up but something weird happened when I clickrd Submit.  Bottom line is, we’ll need someone smarter than me to figure out if we can leapfrog them in SoV… 🤣

They were 4-0 against their NFC division (the sorry assed South), while we were 3-1 against ours (NFC North).  We won our crossover game (Rams), and they lost theirs (Cowboys).

Every single one of our AFC opponents, the Bengals also played, by virtue of us both finishing first in our respective divisions last season.

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

For selfish reasons let it be at MetLife Stadium. I live 20 minutes from there. Although I don't know if that would be considered a neutral site location. Bills fans have been invading MetLife in large numbers. Recently the crowds have been 50-50 and that is against the Jets. I don't know how many Chiefs fans would travel but the Bills would have the majority of the crowd at MetLife.

I mean, it IS in another state.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, NewEra said:

Hmm.  I thought they were different types of Turf, guess not.  did they change this year or are the turfs names just different, but are made equally?

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/which-nfl-stadiums-have-artificial-turf-vs-real-grass?amp

they are part of the 7 fields listed as having the slit turf.

the debate is ongoing. just comparing turf, Slit turf has more injuries than other turf fields but mostly lower leg. The other supposed better turf fields have less injuries overall but more ACL injuries than slit turf.

Grass has less overall injuries.

The differences are not large but significant when totaling up yearly injuries.

I would guess a big push for heated grass fields in all outdoor venues is coming(like Bills plan to install) (also Packers have heated grass hybrid w artificial strands mixed in) and probably a push for slide out grass fields in domes like Cardinals have.

Met Life w slit turf already announced they are changing to the supposed better artificial turf field. The one w more ACL injuries. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by cba fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.