Denny Kellington - appreciation thread for the hero who saved Damar's life

Alphadawg7

Not a lot needs to be said here, but this man deserves recognition and appreciation for literally saving Damar’s  life Monday night.  Without his efforts the world would have lost another good soul far too soon in Hamlin.  

Americans across this country have rallied to donate $7.5M to Hamlins charity.  Which is an incredible feat and amazing silver lining.  So it would be hard to ask America to also step up and do something for Denny after all the generosity and compassion shown to Hamlin and his charity so far.

But I would like to personally acknowledge gratitude to our assistant athletic trainer for his incredible performance on Monday and how he saved this young man’s life.  I hope the team or the city of Buffalo finds some way to recognize this outstanding feat and performance under the immense pressure of a life or death situation.  

Thank you Denny, this team is blessed you are here and have their backs.  Incredible work in an incredibly difficult situation, you truly are a hero and hope you get the recognition of being a hero that you deserve.  

You have even inspired my wife and I to refresher courses in CPR as we never know when it could save a life.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 29
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Kind of surprised this thread isn't getting more love and activity.  I applaud Josh and McD bringing much needed attention to him and his heroics.  I hope the appropriate amount of recognition starts to happen more for him.  Without him and his decisive actions and dedicated effort this likely would be a much sadder story.  

• Agree 1

• Alphadawg7 changed the title to Denny Kellington - appreciation thread for the hero who saved Damar's life

What he did was literally a miracle.  Think about the pressure he was under.

It's the biggest game of the NFL season and millions upon millions are watching.  There's 60,000 people in the stands and becomes completely quiet when they see what's going on.

He has a man on the ground who is essentially dead....he has to bring him back to life.  He cannot make a mistake and he cannot hesitate, he already lost seconds because he had to run to him from the sideline, immediately recognize the situation and then perform immediate and flawless CPR....with players sobbing barely able to control themselves and 60,000 people in the stands watching stone cold quiet. 

This mother****** is an amazing person and needs even more recognition.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Great work and thank God they acted so swiftly. Surprising that the assistant trainer was the one to do it given the lead medical doctor was there as well as other trainers and doctors from both teams. I'm not sure the protocol or how he ended up in charge but just an interesting observation and it seemingly it all worked out well in the end

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

I’m super impressed with how quickly they figured out what the problem was. 

The physicians mentioned that multiple times during the press conference today. Extremely quick recognition. 

The ability to assess the situation, realize he needed CPR, clear his jersey and shoulder pads from his chest, and begin treatment - all in about 20 seconds - is nothing short of remarkable.

Edited by Patrick Fitzryan
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I have a ton of respect for what Denny Kellington and his co-workers accomplished. It's one thing to be trained in CPR and the use of an AED.  Recognizing the need to put that training to use and doing it effectively in such a high stress situation is amazing to me.

Another great thing that comes out of this horrific event is raising awareness of the need for AED's and CPR training for youth sports which has  already started: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/05/saints-and-pelicans-donate-67-aeds-to-local-recreation-departments/

I hope that portions of the Chasing M's GoFundMe go to equipping Damar's community with AED's and funding CPR training for coaches/parents in the years ahead.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Can some of you more “wise” members here recall the situation with the Sabres goalie in the late 80s? The stories told down my family tree is that the Sabres trainer was a Vietnam War Med vet, and because of his experience with trauma situations in the war, he stuck his fingers in Malarchuk’s neck and pinched the artery and saved his life.

Not trying to veer the thread : just recognize the small company who simply save Buffalo players lives over the years.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Great work and thank God they acted so swiftly. Surprising that the assistant trainer was the one to do it given the lead medical doctor was there as well as other trainers and doctors from both teams. I'm not sure the protocol or how he ended up in charge but just an interesting observation and it seemingly it all worked out well in the end

I don't think he was in charge, but the athletic trainers were the ones out there initially and had to recognize the situation and radio for the rest of the response crew and equipment/start CPR

They may have done the first CPR right through the pads and everything, so the guy really had to be a Beast to make it effective.

I LOVE for 1st responders and EMS personnel to get their propers, but it really needs to be recognized that this, like a football game, was a Total Team Effort.

Whoever cut the jersey and pads off enough to do effective defibrillation and got the facemask off to deliver oxygen, whoever called the Code (whatever their word is for cardiac arrest) and radioed for the defib and other supplies, deserves just as much credit.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What he did was literally a miracle.  Think about the pressure he was under.

It's the biggest game of the NFL season and millions upon millions are watching.  There's 60,000 people in the stands and becomes completely quiet when they see what's going on.

He has a man on the ground who is essentially dead....he has to bring him back to life.  He cannot make a mistake and he cannot hesitate, he already lost seconds because he had to run to him from the sideline, immediately recognize the situation and then perform immediate and flawless CPR....with players sobbing barely able to control themselves and 60,000 people in the stands watching stone cold quiet. 

This mother****** is an amazing person and needs even more recognition.  

Great post!  I think that is what is a bit lost in the story is the extraordinary circumstances he had to perform under...to literally revive a man in front of that crowd, his brothers on the field, his family, and to the millions watching in prime time...just wow!  I mean it is just an immense amount of pressure and stress to have someones life in your hands to begin with, but to have to do it under those circumstances and for that long...unreal.  

Just now, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I really hope they announce the medical and training staff and have them run out of the tunnel before sunday's game

This!  I think this would be an incredible moment and I really really really hope they do this! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.