Week 17: Bills at Bengals on MNF

Beck Water

8 hours ago, Big C said:

Yeah sheesh. Almost every national media outlet is picking the Bengals. I just read an article on the Athletic the other day about the 1 seed and the question they asked the panel about the #1 seed was only Chiefs & Bengals discussion. I know Coach is gonna get these guys motivated to make a statement tomorrow night. 

Yeah, seemed as though the after-game shows started out proclaiming the Chiefs the #1 seed.  Then someone must have poked them and they started saying "if the Bills do win in Cinncinnati, they become the #1 seed again"  I thought it was kind of reluctant.

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

Actually, because the Ravens lost last night this is a hat and t-shirt game for the Bengals. 

Some people say it's hard to beat a team on hat-and-t-shirt night

For conspiracy, NFL-is-rigged theorists, though:

-on the one hand, my sense is that the NFL really wants to see the Chiefs #1

-on the other hand, if the Bengals lose, they will be playing the Ravens next week, in Cinncinnati, for the division title.  And I'm pretty sure the NFL wants as many meaningful Week 18 games as possible.

So maybe we'll get a fairly called game.

Huge ramifications on this game. Win and you’re the 1 seed and get to rest up. Lose and you’re the 3 and setting yourself up to play the ravens round 1 and then having to win back to back road games at Cincinnati and KC to get to the SB. Tough task to ask of Josh to do all that so tonight is massive. Early thoughts on the game: 

Josh is going to have to be Superman as usual. Bengals have the best WRs in the league and they’re REALLY GOOD at 50/50 balls. We are not good at those especially Dane Jackson. Josh has to play lights out to keep up. 

Bills have to feed Diggs. Bengals DBs are pretty suspect at times so gotta find Diggs and keep up with Burrow. 

Bills have run the ball well lately but this is not the week to focus on it. Reader is the best DT against the run in the league. Sprinkle it in some to stay honest but it can’t be a focus of this team. Can’t consistently be in 2nd or 3rd and long because we tried to force the run. 

Bengals RT being out should be advantage Bills. Rousseau has to take advantage. This can’t be stated enough. With the massive disadvantage we are at trying to cover Chase/Higgins/Boyd, the pass rush has to get home some. Man, I miss Von. 

What adjustments will Big Lou (bengals d coord) come up with? He’s been incredible slowing down KC and Mahomes. What does he have planned for josh? Guessing they plan to only rush 3 and double Diggs and force josh to figure out how to use everyone else. Who else can step up at times?

That said, Spencer Brown can not continue getting josh killed. A turnover from a strip sack or something and this game could get ugly. Gotta man up. 

Lastly, I hope frazier doesn’t just scheme up his normal lazy defense. You gotta speed burrow up and get him to mane mistakes. He’s probably the most accurate QB in the league but can make mistakes when sped up.  He will pick us apart all night if given time to just stand back there. 

This game is too tough to call hence the 1 point spread. My early guess is Bengals 34 Bills 30 but I could see it getting ugly like 37-20 with a couple bad josh moments and us unable to stop chase too. Hoping Josh does josh things though and Bass hits a FG to win it! 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

Huge ramifications on this game. Win and you’re the 1 seed and get to rest up. Lose and you’re the 3 and setting yourself up to play the ravens round 1 and then having to win back to back road games at Cincinnati and KC to get to the SB. Tough task to ask of Josh to do all that so tonight is massive. Early thoughts on the game: 

Josh is going to have to be Superman as usual. Bengals have the best WRs in the league and they’re REALLY GOOD at 50/50 balls. We are not good at those especially Dane Jackson. Josh has to play lights out to keep up. 

Bills have to feed Diggs. Bengals DBs are pretty suspect at times so gotta find Diggs and keep up with Burrow. 

Bills have run the ball well lately but this is not the week to focus on it. Reader is the best DT against the run in the league. Sprinkle it in some to stay honest but it can’t be a focus of this team. Can’t consistently be in 2nd or 3rd and long because we tried to force the run. 

Bengals RT being out should be advantage Bills. Rousseau has to take advantage. This can’t be stated enough. With the massive disadvantage we are at trying to cover Chase/Higgins/Boyd, the pass rush has to get home some. Man, I miss Von. 

What adjustments will Big Lou (bengals d coord) come up with? He’s been incredible slowing down KC and Mahomes. What does he have planned for josh? Guessing they plan to only rush 3 and double Diggs and force josh to figure out how to use everyone else. Who else can step up at times?

That said, Spencer Brown can not continue getting josh killed. A turnover from a strip sack or something and this game could get ugly. Gotta man up. 

Lastly, I hope frazier doesn’t just scheme up his normal lazy defense. You gotta speed burrow up and get him to mane mistakes. He’s probably the most accurate QB in the league but can make mistakes when sped up.  He will pick us apart all night if given time to just stand back there. 

This game is too tough to call hence the 1 point spread. My early guess is Bengals 34 Bills 30 but I could see it getting ugly like 37-20 with a couple bad josh moments and us unable to stop chase too. Hoping Josh does josh things though and Bass hits a FG to win it! 

Your first paragraph is wrong. Win and you STILL have to win next week to guarantee #1

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, balln said:

Troy is going to make it so much worse

i think buck will calm me down

I will never forget how much Troy thought the Bills had selected the wrong Josh and how Allen would not be able to learn how to be accurate. I’m sure Troy will be looking for anything he can point out tonight to show he was right about Allen. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

-on the other hand, if the Bengals lose, they will be playing the Ravens next week, in Cinncinnati, for the division title.  And I'm pretty sure the NFL wants as many meaningful Week 18 games as possible.

And who knows maybe even Lamar will be back for it, you know you want it NFL.

Point still stands though just ***** win.

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Good morning 2bd 

The officiating question/situation in the NFL produces debacles and outrage in games weekly in the NFL. Excuse my french but **** the zebras. They are on my last nerve after what we saw in the KC game for starters.

All we can hope for is consistency. Either let the players play and keep the flags put away. Or call strictly and by the book. THAT my fellow Bills fans, is the rub. One referees flagrant foul is another ones Meh. And that's going by the book. Factor in favoritism and straight up brutal calls, the phantom penalties. the what are they thinking fouls 

I Give UP. Please, just please, is it too much to ask for bad officiating not to effect our game today. PLEASE. 

/vent 

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

This is going to be one stressful night

As fans we want the one seed so bad, we're stressing ourselves out. I've been trying to accept the fact that it's very possible we don't get the one seed. Obviously I want the bills to win tonight, but I'm trying to prepare myself for a possible loss. Sometimes I wish I could watch the bills the way I watch other NFL games. Stress free and just sit and enjoy them

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

**Disclaimer, I know no one cares about other people's fantasy teams, so please scroll on if you wish**

As if tonight's game weren't big enough, I'm neck and neck with my opponent in my fantasy league championship match for a decent size pot of money.

He has Burrow, Mixon, Knox, McPherson left to play.

I have Allen, Higgins, Bass left to play.

1 seed. Fantasy trophy. Pile of money. It's all there!

GO BILLS!!! (and Higgins)

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Steptide said:

As fans we want the one seed so bad, we're stressing ourselves out. I've been trying to accept the fact that it's very possible we don't get the one seed. Obviously I want the bills to win tonight, but I'm trying to prepare myself for a possible loss. Sometimes I wish I could watch the bills the way I watch other NFL games. Stress free and just sit and enjoy them

As pitiful as this sounds, I started to wear my heart monitor during the playoff games and force myself to calm down. My normal resting heart rate is like 50. During the 2020 playoffs, it would be like 100. What is sad is that this enjoyable experience is the one that produces the most stress of anything for me. 

I tried to be better last year and make watching the games a social experience with friends. Now, I am back to pacing around alone and watching with great anxiety. 

13 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

As pitiful as this sounds, I started to wear my heart monitor during the playoff games and force myself to calm down. My normal resting heart rate is like 50. During the 2020 playoffs, it would be like 100. What is sad is that this enjoyable experience is the one that produces the most stress of anything for me. 

I tried to be better last year and make watching the games a social experience with friends. Now, I am back to pacing around alone and watching with great anxiety. 

Get yourself some edibles.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Since the new playoff format started the one seed has been knocked out once in the divisional round, twice in the conference championship, and once in the Super Bowl.  If it wasn't for the most inept 13 seconds of coaching I've ever seen we would've hosted the AFC Championship game as a 3rd seed.  The two teams who've won the Super Bowl were a 5th seed and a 4th seed.

Does not getting the one seed make it much more difficult to reach and win the Super Bowl?  Yes.  Is the Bengals game a must win?  No.

Great post.  This isn't speculation but the hard cold facts of the last couple of years.  IMO this game is not as important as the late season game last year at New England or the game two weeks ago against Miami - in both those games the division was at stake.

26 minutes ago, Logic said:

**Disclaimer, I know no one cares about other people's fantasy teams, so please scroll on if you wish**

As if tonight's game weren't big enough, I'm neck and neck with my opponent in my fantasy league championship match for a decent size pot of money.

He has Burrow, Mixon, Knox, McPherson left to play.

I have Allen, Higgins, Bass left to play.

1 seed. Fantasy trophy. Pile of money. It's all there!

GO BILLS!!! (and Higgins)

I suppose that it could be said that at least THIS TIME you didn't start an entirely new thread to specifically talk about your imaginary sports team........under the guise of your interest in others teams, of course.    

Of course, it is the REAL gameday thread so you probably figured it would get more looks this way. :lol: 

• Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Since the new playoff format started the one seed has been knocked out once in the divisional round, twice in the conference championship, and once in the Super Bowl.  If it wasn't for the most inept 13 seconds of coaching I've ever seen we would've hosted the AFC Championship game as a 3rd seed.  The two teams who've won the Super Bowl were a 5th seed and a 4th seed.

Does not getting the one seed make it much more difficult to reach and win the Super Bowl?  Yes.  Is the Bengals game a must win?  No.

One of my favorites was when Marv Levy was asked whether a certain game was a must-win.  To which he replied, “This is not a must-win.  World War II was a must-win”.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I haven't heard a lot of talk about weather this week.

Right now it looks like gray sky and upper 50s at kickoff...with some rain maybe getting into the mix and then maybe even turning into some more serious thunderstorms before the game is over.

Fairly decent weather overall, especially if that rain stays away.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.