Week 17: Bills at Bengals on MNF

Beck Water

4 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Keep talking bengals…this team quietly sees bulletin board material and takes note like the pats did for years

The bengals have lost their minds!! No one in today’s nfl talks this kind of trash (for a reason). We are

picked to win the Super Bowl because we are that good. Time for us to run up the score on these pretenders 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

So I think I put this upthread already. 

The regular Greg Cosell preview of upcoming opponents is always interesting and especially so this week.  Greg Cosell, for those unfamiliar, started out reviewing actual film on reels and has gotten to the level of respect that off-season, teams will actually solicit his review of various draft prospects.  A person may agree or disagree, but he's not your average bloviating talking head.

Anyway he talks about how the Bengals D is not a high % man team, but they do like to play man on third downs, in Dime, where they bring in Trey Flowers as their dime back and match him up with TE. 

When asked what's one thing that the Bengals D doesn't do well that he thinks the Bills could exploit, Cosell says that he doesn't think the Bengals are great at one thing on D, he thinks overall as a D they're really solid.  Then he goes on to suggest that there could be opportunities for Dawson Knox in this game.

One thing that I don't think is too uncommon in the NFL, is that various comments from players suggest to me that the Bengals have focused on maybe the last 2-3 games the Bills have played in their analysis of an opponent they haven't played since 2019.  Which is fine, there's only so much prep that can be done - but for the Bills, the last 3 games are a bit of anomaly for different reasons - the wind and cold in Chicago, the cold and anticipated snow and wind vs. Miami which did finally show up late, the snow/rain just around freezing point for the Jets. 

If they're watching the Jets game to see how the Jets shut us down, my take is really that the Bills shut themselves down most of that game with passes that could have been caught but weren't - Diggs, Knox, McKenzie, Singletary, maybe Davis too?  We had what, 5 scored drops for that game? and more that were catchable.

So we'll see. 

Did you read the article in the Athletic about Cincy’s D Cord? The article starts w a quote from Anarumo about Josh’s last pass against the Jets in the first game. Made me think they are studying what the Jets did, since the Jets statistically had the best success against the Bills.

I do agree that the Bills and Josh made some mistakes they wish they could have back. 

28 minutes ago, Bimmer323i said:

I heard Chris Simms say today that there’s no chance will be able to run the ball against the Bungles… I tend to disagree… If we keep chipping away at it and not abandon the run game early I could definitely see Cook making one guy miss and take one to the house….. Nobodies catching him at full speed in the open field…

What makes Simms feel this way is beyond me

I guess i can refer to the last two games - they gave up HUGE chunks and 250 to Mac Jones ?
100 yards to Bourne as the Pats leader in receptions?

Scroll down a week 312 to a STRUGGLING tom Brady - 3tds - 2 massive giveaways - stupid.  

Ill say their run defense looks better the last couple weeks, but come on - 

Cleveland is a dumpster fire now

Bucs - horrible

Pats - terrible but per above gave up way too much

IDk im glad they are underestimating us - but we are NOT those chumps they have beaten on this little fairytale awesome win streak.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, BRH said:

Narcissistic personalities often have a different view of relationships.  You could be thinking some guy is a real DB and be surprised (and initially feel a little guilty) to hear the same guy say you’re a great dude… because they’re so in love with themselves that they can’t even fathom someone else not feeling the same way about them. 

Not saying Burrow has narcissistic tendencies.  But I’ve seen that movie many a time. 

They’re the same people who refer to “Mahommes” [grinds teeth].

You mean people who think that E.J. Epinesa is a bust?

On 12/26/2022 at 2:47 PM, Greg S said:

Disagree. The Bills are winless on the road in the playoffs with McDermott, but they are undefeated at home. 

1. Overall, during the McD era, we’ve been a slightly better road team. The team has been much more focused and plays a more complete game on the road. We look great at home maybe twice a year. It’s usually 1 great quarter and 3 terribly sloppy quarters. 

2. it’s not the playoffs yet.

Edited by Governor

5 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

It’s cute that both teams are scheming on defense. But the reality is that this game is going to be a shoot-out. I actually think also despite how stout the interior is of the Bengals D, the Bills will be able to run it well, probably with those pulls and outside zone runs. 

I expect a lot of empty-set spreads from both teams too, and both QBs taking chances downfield. Will come down to who makes more plays.

I dont see a shoot out. I either see a heavy loss on our team because of mistakes and lack of separation combined with Allen mistakes. Their DL always gives us a rough time. Always. It won't be any different.

But I fully expect our defense to school them. They're not like Miami with timing routes and heavy traffic. They're more like having a few Gabe Daviseseses as well. Boyd is what John Brown was. Nothing more. Nothing less. Chase can't run a full route tree and could be taken out by tough coverage, pressing play and I expect Elam to be a good match. Higgins is as effective for them as Gabe Davis is for us. He can show up or he can flop but consistency he is nop.

I'd take the matchup of their RBs ( Mixon and whoever else, Parine?) Against Hamlin, Milano and Settle any day. Just like we don't know their team, and let's be honest - no one needs to know the Bengles or even how to spell that team... They don't know who we are. They will read articles that White is playing poorly and slow - he is. He's also mauling offenders. What this comes down to is keeping them having to go to the air a lot. Keeping them from controlling the clock so we can control it.

We finish this game with execution and commitment to the run early. We end the game out running them by over 80 yards - which they'll throw up 80+ to us. I imagine they get 50+ yards running in the first half, but sub 20 in the 4th. They can't stick to the run and short of a busted play it won't matter.

Burrow throws 350 yards and a couple of touchdowns. He draws the praises of whoever the lowIQ commentators are to lap up all that kittens milk. Burrow will likely finish the game prettier on paper as a passer than Allen but Allen pulls the W thanks to a defense that bends all night. 

Final:

Buffalo 24

Cinci 16

Reserved to change until I see our ref team.  Anyone know? 

6 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

You mean people who think that E.J. Epinesa is a bust?

I get people misspelling Epenesa.  I don’t get the constant use of “Mahommes.”  I mean, what are people looking at?

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

Reserved to change until I see our ref team.  Anyone know? 

Watch it be Carl Cheffers.

it’s Shawn Smith

Edited by BRH

28 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Did you read the article in the Athletic about Cincy’s D Cord? The article starts w a quote from Anarumo about Josh’s last pass against the Jets in the first game. Made me think they are studying what the Jets did, since the Jets statistically had the best success against the Bills.

I do agree that the Bills and Josh made some mistakes they wish they could have back. 

‘What approach will Anarumo take against Allen? He’s not spilling the game plan, of course, but he didn’t need to say much to explain the conundrum to his unit this week. He turned on the tape.

“The last play of the first Jets game, he throws the ball like 72 yards in the air, hits the guy right in the numbers, on the run,” Anarumo said.

Attention acquired.

“Crazy,” DJ Reader said. “Ball traveled crazy yards in the air to get there and hit the receiver in the face mask. He’s electrifying.”‘

Man, the Bengals have a ton of respect for Allen: https://theathletic.com/4044707/2022/12/30/josh-allen-bengals-defense-bills/

Edited by dave mcbride

Audio sucks in this cover 1 video but there is some good stuff in here

21 minutes ago, BRH said:

I get people misspelling Epenesa.  I don’t get the constant use of “Mahommes.”  I mean, what are people looking at?

Watch it be Carl Cheffers.

it’s Shawn Smith

Personally I like to use "Mahomies."

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

What an issue for Beane next year. Poyer means so much to this team but wiil age, this years injuries and salary cap lead to him leaving? I sure hope not, great leader and player but those variables are a concern. But… one year at a time…

You have to pay the guy. He’s not going to bankrupt us and I’m sure he’s not looking for a super long deal. Find a way to manipulate the bonuses and guaranteed money and get him here at least 2 more years. Or just win the super bowl this year then nobody is going to care lol That would buy us some carefree time

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Bengals dont have the Jets personnel on defense. Not even close.

5 minutes ago, nbbillsfan said:

It’s like the bengals were coached up to disrespect the bills. They think it’ll get in the players heads and take them off their game?

It's kinda weird isn't it....I don't recall these types of statements before their game vs KC. And yet they haven't played the Bills in quite a while to know enough about Bills. Certainly not enough to say some of these things....at least that's what I think

18 minutes ago, nbbillsfan said:

It’s like the bengals were coached up to disrespect the bills. They think it’ll get in the players heads and take them off their game?

I will go deeper.  Boyd and Mixon are the oldest Bengals.  They know that the way they have played wont cut it.  In the mist of a winning streak and national attention they are hoping there teammates step up.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Diggs should be just fine as usual. You mentioned he gets vet rest the final practice anyway, so missing Thursday would basically be routine anyways right?

No, not at all.  Missing practice today (which he did) is routine.  Missing practice Thurs (normal Weds) is missing the offensive install

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.