Bengals Get Monday Off After Beating KC... Show up to work Monday anyway.

ArtVandalay

2 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Oh really, like how the bye week helped? That's where all our problems started.  Emotional high off KC win, then the bye vacation... same exact thing happened last year too.

The Bengals won the AFC last year... and they are putting in more work than us.

You don't fix sloppy play by taking time off, that's what preceded the sloppy play to begin with.

Says the guy who scammed his way into a Rascal personal scooter from Play Now. 🤨

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I get what the OP is saying.

The bengals are a dangerous team.

But are they better than the Bills ?

I guess we'll find out Jan 2.

That’s actually not what he say. He’s saying that the Bengals work harder.

which, of course is total bull####

1 hour ago, Freak-O said:

Is it a full time job for you trying to complain about the Bills in different ways or just a really time consuming hobby? It’s getting more and more far fetched each time. 

There is a particular group on this board that is trying to normalize this

I think the OP just likes to see how many negative reactions he can get with each post/topic.

Let's ignore everything the Bills players did this year in the name of commitment and culture, like our All-Pro safety (who is upset about his contract) hiring a car to drive him to an away game because he couldn't fly; or players digging themselves out of 7 feet of snow, or walking half a mile in 7 feet of snow to get to the facility to fly out for a game; guys rehabbing every Monday despite it being a victory Monday (day off); rallying around their teammate Dawson Knox (when his brother died), etc., etc.

But, no, let's ignore all of that and then use one thing another team does as proof that the Bills suck/aren't committed enough. It's either troll work or insanity. As others have said, for what the Bills have recently been through, the extra days of rest and being with family is more important than one extra film session or whatever on a 10-day week. Who cares if some Bills players flew out of Buffalo to have a mini vacay or visit family. That is exactly what Sean wanted giving them this time off, for them to rest their minds and bodies for the stretch run. But as Sean always says...just be smart about it.

Cincy is indeed a major contender this year that will be in the hunt. And it's a nice story for Cincy fans to believe in the commitment of their team, but it says/means nothing about the other 31 teams in the league. And one extra film session or lift on a Monday in week 14 isn't going to automatically win them a Super Bowl. Geez.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/joe-burrow-bengals-went-to-work-despite-being-off-following-win-over-chiefs

Talk about a massive difference of culture and player commitment. 

Now to be clear 1 day a week off is mandated by the CBA on a normal week.  3 days off is mandated after a Thursday game long week. 

However, it is up to the players to do with that time as they see fit, for the Bills we got players leaving town, for the Bengals, they are showing up to get better. 

Culture like this is the difference between winning teams and Championship teams. We got guys hopping on planes to chill, they got guys bucking down in the most important stretch of the season.

Meanwhile, Bills have not played anywhere near their potential since the bye and the Bengals have gotten better going 6-1 in their last 7 despite missing their top offensive weapon, who is now returning. 

Bengals pose every much a threat as the Chiefs, this Monday night game week 17 is going to be very telling. Hope the Bills get their stuff together.

Excellent post and point, for the Bengals organization this was not their superbowl and just another game on a 17 game schedule against a team they know they can beat. No stupid dancing in practice and shenanigans on social media afterwords.

Bengals really starting to concern me and quietly positioning themselves for the top seed in the AFC and another SB run. They've also had a ton of injuries and still not playing to their full potential despite going 8-2 in their last 10 after an 0-2 hole. Reminds me a lot of the 1993 Cowboys in some ways.

12 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Excellent post and point, for the Bengals organization this was not their superbowl and just another game on a 17 game schedule against a team they know they can beat. No stupid dancing in practice and shenanigans on social media afterwords.

Bengals really starting to concern me and quietly positioning themselves for the top seed in the AFC and another SB run. They've also had a ton of injuries and still not playing to their full potential despite going 8-2 in their last 10 after an 0-2 hole. Reminds me a lot of the 1993 Cowboys in some ways.

And exactly how do you know what they do during practice and afterwards? Are you there watching for possible "shenanigans" every day? Do you run their social media site? Just curious as you seem to know everything that happens within the Bengals organization. 

The Bills clearly have poor commitment and culture. This is because the Bengals decided to come in Monday on their day off. Good for them! The three best teams in the AFC are pretty clear. 
The Bills have some challenging games ahead. It’s possible the Bengals will be in the way of HF for the Bills. All three including KC have a shot at HF. The AFC is really good. The winner will have nothing to do with the Bengals coming in on Monday. 

Edited by QLBillsFan

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That was kinda' the problem last year though too..........the Bills didn't play to their potential at midseason while the Bengals were surging........and that allowed Cinci to catch and move ahead of them in the seeding(#3) and then manipulate their way to #4 by tanking their finale so that they instead lined up with a punchless TN team in the second round instead of KC.

Badol, given the OP if you want to give examples of the Bills not showing up, or not dealing with adversity, I am willing to listen. 

44 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

It’s actually a pretty good bet. Joe Burrow has never beaten the Cleveland Browns. 

I liked the sentiments the OP was trying to convey...   but I think in reality this is why Joe and the team are trying and putting in more work this week.  

52 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Badol, given the OP if you want to give examples of the Bills not showing up, or not dealing with adversity, I am willing to listen. 

In each of the seasons the Bills have been competitive under McDermott they have had a mid-season malaise.

Typically that involves unforeseen home "no show" asskjickings to teams like Philly or Indy..........or a stunning loss like the 9-6 defeat to the worst team in football last season.

This season their malaise lasted 5 games with the damage being stunningly blowing huge second half leads to the Jets and Vikings in back to back weeks.

As I've said before.......if you expect to finish with the #1 seed in one of these season you need to have one where you do not string together month plus long stretches like that.

Of the last 40 #1 seeds in either conference in the NFL only ONE has finished with a sub .750 win %.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In each of the seasons the Bills have been competitive under McDermott they have had a mid-season malaise.

Typically that involves unforeseen home "no show" asskjickings to teams like Philly or Indy..........or a stunning loss like the 9-6 defeat to the worst team in football last season.

This season their malaise lasted 5 games with the damage being stunningly blowing huge second half leads to the Jets and Vikings in back to back weeks.

As I've said before.......if you expect to finish with the #1 seed in one of these season you need to have one where you do not string together month plus long stretches like that.

Of the last 40 #1 seeds in either conference in the NFL only ONE has finished with a sub .750 win %.

I think this is a little bit of the grass is always greener. We suffer from a bit of Bills myopia. We focus on and scrutinize our own team so much that we don't always have a balanced perspective on the rest of the league. Let me throw a few things out there.

First, over the last 5 years, 10 teams have qualified as a #1 seed (AFC/NFC). Do you know how many of them won a Super Bowl? One. Yes, only 1 number one seed of the last 10 won the big game. No question the first seed is great to have, can't beat home field advantage, but it is no guarantee of a Lombardi.

Also, you act as if other top teams don't go through ups and downs during a season, like the Bills do. Let's look at the last 4 years (the last 8 #1 seeds). These are the teams with the best records that year and yet all but one (KC in 2020) had a "Bills/McDermott-like" slump. 

Tenn: 2021 #1 AFC seed: lost 2 of 4 to start the year, then lost 3 of 4 games between weeks 11-15.

GB: 2021 NFC #1 seed: lost 2 out of 3 games in a stretch between weeks 9 and 11.

KC: 2020 AFC #1 seed: No slump or stretch of bad games.

GB: 2020 NFC #1 seed: lost 3 of 6 in a stretch from weeks 6-11.

Balt: 2019 AFC #1 seed: lost 2 games in a row (weeks 3-4)

49ers: 2019 NFC #1 seed: lost 3 of 6 games between weeks 10-15.

KC: 2018 AFC #1 seed: lost 3 of 5 games between weeks 11-16.

NO: 2018 NFC #1 seed: lost 2 of their last 5 games.

And If KC is currently the standard, well in the last 5 years, only once did they avoid the type of slump that you are describing for McDermott/the Bills. Four out of five years they suffered a similar or actually worse slump: 

2021: lost 4 out of 6 games between weeks 2 and 7 (including a 27-3 drubbing by the Titans and an 18 point loss to the Bills).

2020: No slump...but didn't win the SB.

2019: lost 4 of 6 games between weeks 5 and 10.

2018: lost 3 of 5 games between weeks 11-16.

2017: lost 6 games in a 7-game stretch---though that was with Alex Smith at QB, not Mahomes

I think you may be putting too much into this slump thing for the Bills. Every team has ups and downs based on many different factors throughout the year (injuries, travel, adjustments, defenses catching up to offenses, etc., etc.). And it's just hard to maintain the same passion, confidence, execution for 17 weeks straight, especially when you are a top team and everyone is gunning for you every week. The NFL season is long.

Edited by folz
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, folz said:

I think this is a little bit of the grass is always greener. We suffer from a bit of Bills myopia. We focus on and scrutinize our own team so much that we don't always have a balanced perspective on the rest of the league. Let me throw a few things out there.

First, over the last 5 years, 10 teams have qualified as a #1 seed (AFC/NFC). Do you know how many of them won a Super Bowl? One. Yes, only 1 number one seed of the last 10 won the big game. No question the first seed is great to have, can't beat home field advantage, but it is no guarantee of a Lombardi.

Also, you act as if other top teams don't go through ups and downs during a season, like the Bills do. Let's look at the last 4 years (the last 8 #1 seeds). These are the teams with the best records that year and yet all but one (KC in 2020) had a "Bills/McDermott-like" slump. 

KC: 2021 AFC #1 seed: lost 4 out of 6 games between weeks 2 and 7 last year (including a 27-3 drubbing by the Titans and an 18 point loss to the Bills). 

GB: 2021 NFC #1 seed: lost 2 out of 3 games in a stretch between weeks 9 and 11.

KC: 2020 AFC #1 seed: No slump or stretch of bad games.

GB: 2020 NFC #1 seed: lost 3 of 6 in a stretch from weeks 6-11.

Balt: 2019 AFC #1 seed: lost 2 games in a row (weeks 3-4)

49ers: 2019 NFC #1 seed: lost 3 of 6 games between weeks 10-15.

KC: 2018 AFC #1 seed: lost 3 of 5 games between weeks 11-16.

NO: 2018 NFC #1 seed: lost 2 of their last 5 games.

And If KC is currently the standard, well in the last 5 years, only once did they avoid the type of slump that you are describing for McDermott/the Bills. Four out of five years they suffered a similar or worse slump (see above for 2018-2021; in 2017 they lost 6 games in a 7-game stretch---though that was with Alex Smith at QB, not Mahomes). And the year they didn't slump, they didn't win the Super Bowl (made the big dance but got pummeled by TB).

I think you may be putting too much into this slump thing for the Bills. Every team has ups and downs based on many different factors throughout the year (injuries, travel, adjustments, defenses catching up to offenses, etc., etc.). And it's just hard to maintain the same passion, confidence, execution for 17 weeks straight, especially when you are a top team and everyone is gunning for you every week. The NFL season is long.

I agree with everything here, but your point was even stronger given the fact that TEN was the #1 seed in 2021. They lost a close game to the #4 seeded Bengals in the divisional round.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.