Bengals Get Monday Off After Beating KC... Show up to work Monday anyway.

ArtVandalay

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

3 games in 12 days happens all of the time and most weeks of the season. Let’s not exaggerate! Any time that plays three games in a row in which the third game is a Thursday night game has played 3 games in 12 days. Literally.

I should’ve elaborated better. How many teams play consecutive Thursday night games? How often do you play 2 games in 5 days, and then not have the “mini bye,” was more my point.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/joe-burrow-bengals-went-to-work-despite-being-off-following-win-over-chiefs

Talk about a massive difference of culture and player commitment. 

Now to be clear 1 day a week off is mandated by the CBA on a normal week.  3 days off is mandated after a Thursday game long week. 

However, it is up to the players to do with that time as they see fit, for the Bills we got players leaving town, for the Bengals, they are showing up to get better. 

Culture like this is the difference between winning teams and Championship teams. We got guys hopping on planes to chill, they got guys bucking down in the most important stretch of the season.

Meanwhile, Bills have not played anywhere near their potential since the bye and the Bengals have gotten better going 6-1 in their last 7 despite missing their top offensive weapon, who is now returning. 

Bengals pose every much a threat as the Chiefs, this Monday night game week 17 is going to be very telling. Hope the Bills get their stuff together.

If you clutch your pearls any harder you’re gonna hurt yourself…, 

GO BILLS!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

3 games in 12 days happens all of the time and most weeks of the season. Let’s not exaggerate! Any time that plays three games in a row in which the third game is a Thursday night game has played 3 games in 12 days. Literally.

3 road games happens all the time in 12 days?  Of the 3 games, two of those games being on Thursday's happen all the time with no mini bye?

16 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

I should’ve elaborated better. How many teams play consecutive Thursday night games? How often do you play 2 games in 5 days, and then not have the “mini bye,” was more my point.

And in that time across 3-4 weeks, only about 4 real days of practice with weather, illness, travel, and injuries.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Bengals have worked hard. But hard work is only a necessary component to a championship team, not a sufficient one. The Bills learned that in the 1991 season. After admittedly partying too much in the week before their SB loss the previous year to the Giants, they put their noses to the grindstone in Minneapolis for SBXVI. They still lost though to Washington, in blowout fashion.

I am sure the Bills work hard too. Assuming both teams put in the work, it will be talent, coaching, and injuries that will decide the game, as well as some luck, perhaps.

Edited by chongli
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

3 road games happens all the time in 12 days?  Of the 3 games, two of those games being on Thursday's happen all the time with no mini bye?

I mean, technically the browns game was a road game, but it’s a short trip, the stadium was packed with bills fans, and frankly the Bills’ offense is built to excel in domes and Cleveland’s isn’t. It wasn’t a close game at the end of the day; Cleveland did well in garbage time.

1 hour ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Good post. The right caveat to add is most teams don't play three in 12 days on the road, with practices lost to a snowstorm too. 

Yeah, totally. But again, 3 games in 12 days happens all the time.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I mean, technically the browns game was a road game, but it’s a short trip, the stadium was packed with bills fans, and frankly the Bills’ offense is built to excel in domes and Cleveland’s isn’t. It wasn’t a close game at the end of the day; Cleveland did well in garbage time.

It's still a trip and they had two consecutive Thursdays where they didn't get the mini bye because of it.  

I've never heard of an NFL team not built for a dome.  Nick Chubb is slower in perfect conditions or something?

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's still a trip and they had two consecutive Thursdays where they didn't get the mini bye because of it.  

I've never heard of an NFL team not built for a dome.  Nick Chubb is slower in perfect conditions or something?

It’s less that he’s slower than that teams that have great passing attacks aren’t as good in rough weather while teams that run the ball well are. The browns are a much better running team than passing team; the Bills are the reverse.

12 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It’s less that he’s slower than that teams that have great passing attacks aren’t as good in rough weather while teams that run the ball well are. The browns are a much better running team than passing team; the Bills are the reverse.

So if you’re better at running the ball in rougher weather, that means you aren’t built for perfect conditions?

While a Bills are, bar none, my fave sports team and it's not close, I don't mind the Bengals and respect them. 

If we cannot go all the way I would much rather see the Bengals win then the Chiefs. Perhaps, in time, I can hate the Bengals the way I hate the Chiefs but it's a long way off. That said, I hope we crush them both.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

While a Bills are, bar none, my fave sports team and it's not close, I don't mind the Bengals and respect them. 

If we cannot go all the way I would much rather see the Bengals win then the Chiefs. Perhaps, in time, I can hate the Bengals the way I hate the Chiefs but it's a long way off. That said, I hope we crush them both.

Bengals are my 2nd team ever since the Dalton to Boyd throw and the subsequent connection between Bills Mafia and Dalton’s charity.

4 hours ago, Wizard said:

This is a Buffalo Bills forum. Let's keep it that way OP!

The Bills will be prepared for their next game coming off a win also.

99.9% of the time I disagree with Art, but I think we can all agree that there has been a noticeable difference (outside of injuries) in the level of play post bye week.  I think this team came into the bye a little to full of themselves and lost focus.  On the bright side, the level of play looks to have improved drastically since we lost to the lowly Jets with Zack Wilson at the helm.  

Apparently Bengals know when to turn it on because I've watched them play some really horrible games this year and they are lucky to not be .500 right now. Yet they can turn it on and beat KC or come up in clutch situations. Definitely a weird team where it looked like they might not even make the playoffs and now I think they have to be considered among the top 3 super bowl contenders

4 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Bills haven’t played anywhere near their potential…as they sit atop of the AFC and are getting healthier and ramping things up when they normally do in December.

Thank you, but I’m sleeping very well at night. 

That was kinda' the problem last year though too..........the Bills didn't play to their potential at midseason while the Bengals were surging........and that allowed Cinci to catch and move ahead of them in the seeding(#3) and then manipulate their way to #4 by tanking their finale so that they instead lined up with a punchless TN team in the second round instead of KC.

4 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/joe-burrow-bengals-went-to-work-despite-being-off-following-win-over-chiefs

Talk about a massive difference of culture and player commitment. 

Now to be clear 1 day a week off is mandated by the CBA on a normal week.  3 days off is mandated after a Thursday game long week. 

However, it is up to the players to do with that time as they see fit, for the Bills we got players leaving town, for the Bengals, they are showing up to get better. 

Culture like this is the difference between winning teams and Championship teams. We got guys hopping on planes to chill, they got guys bucking down in the most important stretch of the season.

Meanwhile, Bills have not played anywhere near their potential since the bye and the Bengals have gotten better going 6-1 in their last 7 despite missing their top offensive weapon, who is now returning. 

Bengals pose every much a threat as the Chiefs, this Monday night game week 17 is going to be very telling. Hope the Bills get their stuff together.

This is just dumb. And not a little bit.

This isn't about culture or player commitment. Both teams have terrific culture and extreme commitment.

The Bills are coming off three away games in 12 days. They need rest more than anything else. And they won those three games. They are rewarding themselves. With rest. For those who are going home, that's not something they do every week, it's a nine-day week.

The Chiefs are coming off a loss. This is their equivalent of running laps after screwing up. They are on a seven day week and don't have time to go home if they wanted to. They are also less exhausted, coming off three games in 15 days, only two of which were away.

Do you know how many Bills come in to do rehab or lift weights on Mondays of seven-day weeks? Yeah, didn't think so.

Genuinely, a clueless knee-jerk dumb take. If we were coming off a horrible loss or something, takes this awful would be ever so slightly understandable. But we are not.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

True. But it's also true that there's never in league history been a team doing 3 games in 12 days without a single game at home.

This was a very difficult stretch. And yet they won all three.

29 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So if you’re better at running the ball in rougher weather, that means you aren’t built for perfect conditions?

Bottom line: I’d rather play the Browns in pristine conditions given our elite QB than in snowy, windy slop given their fantastic running game. Do you disagree?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.