Fix The Bills - You're the GM and HC

SCBills

11 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

People …. Really? We’ve lost two one score games.

To division opponents that we should have beat.  The last few weeks this team has been off and showing signs of being figured out.  It's not panic time, it's adjustment time. Injuries have been a problem, but every team is dealing with that.  The league is morphing back into run and stop the run and as it gets colder, the Bills are going to have to figure out how to deal with that since it is our weak spot.  There's lots of good teams in the AFC and getting home field advantage is not a given, the division is not a given. We've got to earn it and that starts again this week. 

37 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Two words: Bobby Hart. Preseason convinced me he's born again Hart. When he was the 2021 whipping boy he wasn't as bad as Queasyberry was yesterday. Get him into the top-5, and instapressure Dan out.

Gabe shut down Gabe. Or perhaps it was sabotage with Slick-50 applied to his gloves.

Which is why I want Gabe benched. Let OBJ slide in and take over wr2 duties. Gabes 4 td KC was amazing but he's got zero consistency. He couldn't put 2 good games together to save his life. And I think Josh knows this.

This is going to be a bit Captain Obvious but the best way to ‘fix’ the Bills is to get healthy. Yes, I realize that all teams have injuries but being 6-2 with as many as the Bills have had is pretty amazing.  It shows how good this team really is. It also shows that injuries (which are out of anyone’s control) may sadly be the biggest single variable in the modern NFL. If the Bills aren’t healthy going into the playoffs, or their opponents aren’t, then Xs and Os don’t  matter all that much. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, SCBills said:

We all know the weaknesses, worries, strengths and reasons for optimism with this team.

At 6-2, with a history of going into a lull around this time of year, what would YOU do?

Option 1 - Sign OBJ, obviously.  Lack of a true WR2 is clearly a massive issue this year.  Let's take that out of the equation for now.

If it's me:

-Bench McKenzie from the slot role.  He's killing the offense.  Some of it is on him, some of it is due to Allen clearly not trusting him.  Develop a package for him with jet sweeps, motion and goal line opportunities.  That should have been his role all along.

-Give Shakir extended run at slot and see if he can take ownership of the role and develop chemistry with Allen.  We have Kumerow back as outside depth.

-Use Hines heavy in the slot and as an Ekeler-type safety valve

-Settle on two backs and allow them to find a rhythm.  As much as I like Cook, this likely becomes Singletary and Hines.  Rotating 3 just gets too jumbled and I don't think it works for a guy who needs touches to get into the game and another guy who we're trying to integrate mid-season. 

-Force Allen to throw designed check downs to loosen two deep shells.  I don't care if he doesn't want to do it.. he has to.  Run designed plays that go to the RB in the flat or in shallow routes.  If they don't want to run the ball more, fine.. but if Knox is needed to block, we need a reliable short passing game.  Give Allen easy reads and nickel/dime teams to death 5-10 yards at a time until they react. 

On Defense, I'm sure they'll figure out the run game issues... They always do, let's just hope it's sooner rather than later. 

Also Utilize Morris & Gilliam more when the lined up with Gilliam as the old style blocking back to help the run game it did a lot better which took some of the pressure off of Josh & set up the pass better keep ing the opponents D in check .

Plus use some 2 tight end sets for the short game Morris & Knox on either side to either chip then open up for a short pass as you said come on use all of what you got or they will be watching the SB once again form the couch ...

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Start trading these picks for the CMCs of the league or trade up for Breece Hall but hey maybe Boogie will work out

Hodgins wasn't a bad piece i feel he was just hit by the injury bug then the covid thing which you can't blame him for that but you can bet Dabol snagged him for good reason when he was available because every time he was on the field he usually contributed .

If they weren't so stuck on the speed thing with McKkenzie & maybe gave Hodgins the chance while he was here to play the slot like he did in college where he made most of his production that would give Josh a much bigger target there but to this point McKenzie almost single handedly has given away 2 or 3 TD's .

I think they have had the personal to be a really good team a SB contender but they lay it all on Josh when Cook dropped the ball in the beginning of the season they benched him when McKenzie drops it they keep him in they need to use other like Gilliam, Morris, now Hynes, & others in some different packages each week but it seems to be the Josh & Diggs show shut them down game over ...

i think they seriously need to think about resigning poyer. tackling in the box has been a huge problem in the 2 losses, which poyer didnt play. Let oliver wlak and pay poyer. I for one completely under estimated how important him and hyde are to this d. 

2 minutes ago, Wsam4031 said:

i think they seriously need to think about resigning poyer. tackling in the box has been a huge problem in the 2 losses, which poyer didnt play. Let oliver wlak and pay poyer. I for one completely under estimated how important him and hyde are to this d. 

The safety angles they are taking on outside runs mostly range from meh to atrocious...

Ja'quan Johnson should not see the field again except for teams. Marlowe needs to come in for him in his place. 

Handling I haven't noticed since a few games ago on run angles and noticed a few TFLs he got so perhaps he has gotten better in that regard...

IMO, Ja'quan Johnson is the weak link in this defense 

20 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Chris Brown is spelling it out right now on GR. Diggs has triple the catches of the next receiver on the roster!! Unbelievable!! Turnovers and tackling are problems too

If I was that guy, I’d go back and find all the people that wouldn’t hear it when I said, we have one WR who’s done anything in the NFL and they all told me Davis was amazing, would have 1k+ this year, yadda yadda yadda.  They relied on Davis to step up, he hasn’t, he continues to drop big passes and doesn’t deserve the unquestioned #2 role.  The rest of the WRs are guys we got off the waiver wire or a 5th round rookie, why is anybody surprised?

The team is good enough as constructed to compete for a championship. I think the problem that surfaced in the Jets game is that our offense has become too reliant on Josh’s ability to avoid free rushers and either run or find off schedule targets. Ths is not sustainable without getting Josh injured or having him facing a crisis of confidence because there’s too many in coverage.  We have to become multidimensional using Hines and Cook on short screens and underneath crossing patterns along with a better running approach using Gilliam more as lead blocker. Let’s see if our lineman can be better at opening some running lanes. If we can do this , our incredibly talented QB can be even more effective throwing to receivers downfield.

On 11/7/2022 at 11:27 AM, BuffaloBill said:

Cut the entire roster and start over.

People …. Really? We’ve lost two one score games.

Not just two 1 score games - 2 games by a total of 5 points cumulative.  2 points, and 3 points, and both contending for a chance to tie/win in the final moments.

But yeah, don't continue to adjust or tweek, BLOW ***** UP.

Edited by Beck Water

I wouldn't do any major changes. I would be on the phone with Darryl Williams and Ereck Flowers agents though. I'd also force the quick passing game on Dorsey and Josh. Shorter routes like against the Rams. Take some pressure off the line. I wasn't really on-board with OBJ, but with the way Davis and Knox have been and limited use of Shakir, I'm definitely coming around to trying to bring him on.

Defense I think we are fine. Just need to get a couple guys back healthy and on the field. No changes other than maybe a little less nickel at times.

Some of you are some serious negative bandies.  We’re 6-2 and blew out in most of the wins minus the Ravens.

If you want to change it up by adding more Shakir than McKenzie, get Hines involved while Cook is developing and have more 21 personnel, that’s fine, but this team isn’t broken.  Are some of you so spoiled on the wins that unless we destroy our opponent we are a failure.

I wonder sometimes if some people have ever played highly competitive sports.  A win is a win, and we’ve not had a Colts like trampling last year where we looked horrible.  Even then we can back and in the end stood toe to toe with the Chiefs and almost won.

Lastly, pay OBJ a sound contract and everything changes if he’s healthy.  We’ve been fortunate since 2018 only a four game loss for Allen.  Yesterday on WGR the morning guys stated Spotrac has a two year contract market value of $13 mil. Per.  That’s a deal for his talent.

The Bills need to fix the Right Tackle position. Everyone can debate the holding call on Dawkins, but if you go back and look at that final series, the Bills overcame that penalty in one play and we’re sitting at 2nd and 2…when Josh is sacked, fumbles, and they’re left way behind the sticks. Total failure at Right Tackle.  Not sure if Spencer is the answer but his absence was obvious on that play and it might have seriously injured our franchise QB. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.