Fix The Bills - You're the GM and HC

SCBills

Coaching:  Deeper route for TE (middle of the field, not side) and design screen pass to RB.  Against Jets, 90% of the throws are to side.  For less than 1-2 short yardage play (3rd down), more QB in center with two backs/fullback which will give more leverage than RPO.  Bills RPO is now too predictable.

GM: Bring LB and do rotation (65% snap for Tremaine)a.  Bring back John Brown / Emmanuel Sanders (vertical attack).

2 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

The OL is mostly horrible.  Josh is mainly in the shotgun and on many plays he has like a second to look downfield before a defender is closing in.  If he wasn’t mobile and more Bledsoe-like, he could be leading the league in times sacked.

I agree this is the case most of the time. The games we dominate on offense and it looks easy is when Josh has time. Has not ben the case much lately. 

3 minutes ago, kkim0904 said:

Coaching:  Deeper route for TE (middle of the field, not side) and design screen pass to RB.  Against Jets, 90% of the throws are to side.  For less than 1-2 short yardage play (3rd down), more QB in center with two backs/fullback which will give more leverage than RPO.  Bills RPO is now too predictable.

GM: Bring LB and do rotation (65% snap for Tremaine)a.  Bring back John Brown / Emmanuel Sanders (vertical attack).

So your plan as GM is to take a LB off the field even though they are getting run on (and replace him with who exactly?) and then to bring back 2 guys who are well past their prime and would not bring anything to the offense 

Just now, Ya Digg? said:

So your plan as GM is to take a LB off the field even though they are getting run on (and replace him with who exactly?) and then to bring back 2 guys who are well past their prime and would not bring anything to the offense 

With current roster, utilize more Dodson, but we need better run stopper like Klein.

4 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Have Ken Dorsey, Josh Allen and the offense go watch some film on the Kansas City Chiefs.

When teams take away the deeper shots, they seemingly have no pivot.  It's just the QB running for his life and throwing into coverage, usually forcing it to Stefon Diggs.

The Chiefs lost their best deep threat in the offseason (Tyreek Hill), and have continued to roll on offense this season by simply being patient and attacking underneath.  They haven't been perfect either, but the shorter elements I see in their passing attack could definitely be a helpful adjustment for us.

• As many pointed out, we absolutely MUST get Dawson Knox involved in the passing game.  Hitting him with some quick releases would help tremendously when teams are playing back in coverage.  
  • Slot receiver is a big problem.  Losing Jameson Crowder hurt way more than anyone expected, and Isaiah McKenzie is not the answer there.  I know he's a rookie, but I don't understand why Khalil Shakir is not getting more snaps.
  • Nyheim Hines needs to be heavily involved, starting this week.  I want to see this team incorporate some more swing passes and screens.

The lack of adjustments (on both sides of the ball) are infuriating with this team.  

I think Nyheim Hines is going to disappoint. 

I don't think he's very good. 

I think the Bills should run the ball more in conventional sets and settle this offense some. 

Allen is taking 1-2 hard shots every game. 

They also need to phase in Kumerow and Shakir. 

●Go 50-50 Cook & Singletary 

●Give Shakir all of McKenzie's slot targets

Only use McK on gadget plays and release after season.

●Ramp up Hines' touches

● Bench Gabe and sign OBJ

● Tell Knox it's time to start earning that bag.

● Tell the OL to step it up before you get JA killed.

● Start drafting early round Olineman and stop wasting high picks on failed DE's (AJ/Boogie)

●Take the $ you save on 49 and continue to build the OL.

I think WR is by far the most pressing need this offseason. 

Safety - Sure

Linebacker - Sure

Right Tackle - Absolutely

Interior Offensive Line - Yes 

But this team needs another apex playmaker to pair with Diggs. We've run the Davis, McKenzie experiment and they're not reliable enough. Too inconsistent. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, SCBills said:

We all know the weaknesses, worries, strengths and reasons for optimism with this team.

At 6-2, with a history of going into a lull around this time of year, what would YOU do?

Option 1 - Sign OBJ, obviously.  Lack of a true WR2 is clearly a massive issue this year.  Let's take that out of the equation for now.

If it's me:

-Bench McKenzie from the slot role.  He's killing the offense.  Some of it is on him, some of it is due to Allen clearly not trusting him.  Develop a package for him with jet sweeps, motion and goal line opportunities.  That should have been his role all along.

-Give Shakir extended run at slot and see if he can take ownership of the role and develop chemistry with Allen.  We have Kumerow back as outside depth.

-Use Hines heavy in the slot and as an Ekeler-type safety valve

-Settle on two backs and allow them to find a rhythm.  As much as I like Cook, this likely becomes Singletary and Hines.  Rotating 3 just gets too jumbled and I don't think it works for a guy who needs touches to get into the game and another guy who we're trying to integrate mid-season. 

-Force Allen to throw designed check downs to loosen two deep shells.  I don't care if he doesn't want to do it.. he has to.  Run designed plays that go to the RB in the flat or in shallow routes.  If they don't want to run the ball more, fine.. but if Knox is needed to block, we need a reliable short passing game.  Give Allen easy reads and nickel/dime teams to death 5-10 yards at a time until they react. 

On Defense, I'm sure they'll figure out the run game issues... They always do, let's just hope it's sooner rather than later. 

This pretty much sums up what I have been saying in all the other threads.  So you got an agree from me.  

One thing you left off though...Dorsey needs to figure out how to adjust.  He needs to find ways to involve a more spread out offense where we are getting the ball into other hands in the passing game like Knox, Shakir, and the RB's.  You covered some of that, just didn't mention Dorsey's role in that and him needed to show he can watch the film on how the Packers and Jets made halftime adjustments to stall our offense, and show he can adjust.  

• Agree 3

37 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This pretty much sums up what I have been saying in all the other threads.  So you got an agree from me.  

One thing you left off though...Dorsey needs to figure out how to adjust.  He needs to find ways to involve a more spread out offense where we are getting the ball into other hands in the passing game like Knox, Shakir, and the RB's.  You covered some of that, just didn't mention Dorsey's role in that and him needed to show he can watch the film on how the Packers and Jets made halftime adjustments to stall our offense, and show he can adjust.  

it just seems like the threat of a QB that can hit every inch of the field with a rocket arm and mobility should force a defense to be soft against the run. 

also nobody has replaced what Beasley did well in 2020

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Not one. But the Jets blitzed only twice. All the pressure came from their front 4.  Clearly Sauce and Co. shut down Gabe, Dawson & McKenzie. 

They absolutely ran 1. Dawkins or saffold whiffed and tackler got DS for no gain 

Two words: Bobby Hart. Preseason convinced me he's born again Hart. When he was the 2021 whipping boy he wasn't as bad as Queasyberry was yesterday. Get him into the top-5, and instapressure Dan out.

47 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Not one. But the Jets blitzed only twice. All the pressure came from their front 4.  Clearly Sauce and Co. shut down Gabe, Dawson & McKenzie. 

Gabe shut down Gabe. Or perhaps it was sabotage with Slick-50 applied to his gloves.

Play more aggressively on defense against inferior offenses, play the standard way against better offenses. Play more conservatively against teams with good front 4s or secondaries. Take 8 max protect deep shots to Davis by the end of the 3rd quarter preferably on earlier downs by end of the 3rd quarter. This will loosen up defenses for the underneath stuff, and Davis is good for 30% success and will rebuild his confidence and give him opportunity to break out of slump. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.