It Just FEELS as Though Buffalo Lost A Lot more Than the Game Yesterday

BuffaloBaumer

The Bills are fine. They will bounce back. A few bad throws, mixed in with a lot of really good throws, are not reason to reasonably deduce there is issue of regression. ALL QB's make mistakes and bad throws from time to time. It happens. It is simply an over-emotional response to create a scenario in one's head that a few bad throws equivalates to a downward spiral or the wheels falling off. Allen has off the scale intangibles and work ethic. He will bounce back. Take a deep breath and enjoy the ride. This team is always in the game and some weeks, they will lose, it is a part of the game itself. Had it not been for a holding penalty and perhaps a missed PI call they likely would have had a shot to win in the end. On to the next one. 

30 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If they make OL a heavy focus this offseason, obviously I'm fine with that. But we have examples like the Chiefs where they spent heavily on the OL and still aren't satisfied. And like every team we will have a bunch of other needs this offseason - possibly safety, WR, RB, LB. It's not as simple as pouring most of our available resources into the OL. If we do that we'll leave vulnerabilities elsewhere. I'd rather focus on adding more weapons and running a passable scheme around the players we have.

Yea I just disagree. I think the line is the biggest recurring issue with this team. And while I get it that OL play isn't good league wide the Bills are in the bottom half of not good line play. I really did not like the moves they made there this past spring. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I just disagree. I think the line is the biggest recurring issue with this team. And while I get it that OL play isn't good league wide the Bills are in the bottom half of not good line play. I really did not like the moves they made there this past spring. 

I think that you have to address OL in the draft. Outside of QB, they are the players that teams overpay to keep in FA and don't trade. In fact, if a team is willing to let a OT or OG go in a trade or FA, that should be a major red flag. The problem is that they are the hardest position to evaluate. In going through old drafts, the bust rate on OL seems higher than any other position.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't think that is healthy or normal. If football affects you so deeply, it might be best to take a break. Football is a game. It is supposed to entertain you.

The Bills affect me this deeply, no other team or sport does.  Yes, it is unhealthy, that's why I mentioned I just want 1 SB and I can move on.  Luckily I live in the beautiful Rocky Mountains region and can take this Sunday off and get away.

1 minute ago, Billsflyer12 said:

The Bills affect me this deeply, no other team or sport does.  Yes, it is unhealthy, that's why I mentioned I just want 1 SB and I can move on.  Luckily I live in the beautiful Rocky Mountains region and can take this Sunday off and get away.

Vikings at Bills this Sunday. We will all be nervous nellies if this game is close throughout. If the Bills can get out to a big lead and cruise to a blowout win then we all be happy and relieved again. I don't want to think of the alternative.

4 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

This has nothing to do with it, and you know it. Clearly people are not handing in their fan card, it is a legitimate feeling that a lot of people have….on this board and in my every day life.

It’s never about the team and what they’ve done or haven’t done, fans responses to ups and downs in a season is really just about them as people and fans.

Fans range from one end of the spectrum to the other, some people are upbeat, positive and solutions oriented. On the other end there are fans who become upset, fearful and want to protect themselves from disappointment by lowering team expectations.

Just human nature.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Some of you have no memory whatsoever.

This happens every season under McDermott.........starting with the epic mid-season collapse in 2017............whatever it is,  he fails to push the right buttons and they play bad football for about a month or so.

Doesn't feel different in the least.

Past two weeks have been lousy, unfocused efforts.    Lucky to come out of it 1-1 given that neither opponent was 2021 Jacksonville Jaguars bad.  

If they were a road warrior playoff team it wouldn't matter.........because he usually has them tuned back up for the finish...........but he's 0-4 on the road in the playoffs so it would behoove the McBeane regime to figure out how to bypass the mid-season vacation this team takes every year.    

You could hear his understanding of this ongoing issue in his postgame last night.   All 5 years that they've been competitive(save 2018 when they were terrible at the outset and never in contention) under McDermott the same thing has happened at the same point of each season.

And it's not just that it happens ever year, it's how this last for about 6 games:

2020: A 3-3 stretch from weeks 5 through 10 with a bad loss to Tennessee, the KC MNF loss at home, recovered against SEA 44-34, and then the away AZ loss.  

They only beat NYJ 18-10, NE 24-21 the latter of which on a Newton fumble to secure the win.  

2021: Went 2-4 in weeks 9-14 starting with the Jacksonville loss, being run over by IND, losing to NE on MNF and then TB.  Blew out NYJ and NO.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Airseven said:

The difference being this season everyone said they’re a shoe-in for the Super Bowl. They’re not. They’re the same team that slumped last year and the same team that gaffed their season away in 13 seconds. It was always going to be an uphill climb.

Nobody said they were a shoe-in this summer.   They were one of the smallest SB favorites ever coming into the season.   Around 7% chance to win the SB in the betting world.   By contrast the 2018 Patriots entered the season with Vegas giving them an 18% chance.   As it's turned out.........what was supposed to be the mostly hotly contested AFC and perhaps conference since the merger has not turned out that way.    So they gained some ground as a favorite in September and October.   But ultimately nothing is different than last year.    The Bills were a trendy SB pick last year........they took care of KC on the road and looked like the AFC favorite while they ran up by far the largest point differential in the NFL.......but ruined their hopes of home field with an inexplicable month plus stretch where they just looked disinterested.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills are my team. They're a very good team with, what I think, is a less than 50% chance of making the Super Bowl. No run game. Suspect crunch time defense with great stats but eye test says weak run defense and vulnerable when needed to hold leads. I know we're supposed to think we have a great defense but Josh and company is what wins our games.

6 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Let’s see. I put the chances Better that he will be back to himself over Tua finishing the season healthy again. 

the elbow didn’t bother his 60 yard Dime that Davis dropped. 

maybe someone on the Bills should pick up Allen when he has a bad game for once. He does it enough for the rest of the guys. You think they would return the favor one time. 

coaching staff (not running the ball) and run D, along with stone hands Davis did nothing to help Allen.  Nor did the OL.  Bean needs to get Allen legit help at OL and WR.  

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

we need both. OL and WR.  And safety/LB. 

I'm squarely in both camps.  Look, I'm really deflated today, and that's what a lot of people are saying.   Other people are saying, "Relax.  It's one game."  I know, that overstates it, but that at least gives a name to the two camps:   This is depressing vs. it's just one game.

The truth is that the NFL has been like this for years.  Teams that are great early in the season often have trouble sustaining that initial excellence.  Happened to the Pats often in the early part of the season.  Seems to happen to the Bills in mid-season.  

So, no, we shouldn't be surprised; that's true.  But many, many Bills fans didn't even go through the Super Bowl years, and many of us that did go through it frankly don't remember the ups and downs of the season - we just remember the ending, or the playoff games.  We are, in a sense, a bunch of rookies going through the experience of being fans of a good team.  Pats fans changed over the years, as they grew accustomed to success.  Colts fans changed, too.  They had to learn about having Peyton and still not winning championships.  

But, no, we also shouldn't not be excited.   If I could choose my future, I would certainly choose the future of having Allen and the Pats' fan experience rather than Allen and the Colts' fan experience.  Or maybe, it's the Allen and the Chargers' (with Rivers) fan experience.  Josh and the Bills aren't a great team yet, and there are lots of landing places other than being a great team.  When they play so much not like a great team, it's naturally troubling.  

• Agree 1

My main concern is injuries. If we had our guys (Poyer, Hyde, White, Milano, Rousseau, maybe even Allen) at 100% or close to it I wouldn't be worried. 

But we lost the top S tandem in the NFL and a top 10 CB plus a playmaking LB and a promising young pass rusher. That is a lot to overcome, and now we're worried about Allen's elbow. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

we need both. OL and WR.  And safety/LB. 

I don't disagree but when it comes down to it the pattern of how we lose games is clear. You should not lose so many 1 score games when you have the ball last with Josh Allen as your QB. But the OL has torpedoed 5 games in two years that have been in that category.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

My main concern is injuries. If we had our guys (Poyer, Hyde, White, Milano, Rousseau, maybe even Allen) at 100% or close to it I wouldn't be worried. 

But we lost the top S tandem in the NFL and a top 10 CB plus a playmaking LB and a promising young pass rusher. That is a lot to overcome, and now we're worried about Allen's elbow. 

It does seem like we are getting worse and worse news news every single day. This Allen injury just does not feel like we are getting great news on Wednesday. Oh to be a freaking Bills fan, you see the shining bright light at the end of the tunnel, and then poof...Keyser Soze

Seriously, we're injured, we had heaps of drops, we played like horseshit and you'd struggle to play worse...and only just got done by 3 including a howler of a drop on the last hail mary of the game.

The media are getting their panties wet over the Jest but we'll be ok.

That’s just frustration from losing a game that we all marked down as a W. This could be a positive if the coaches and players take away that we must make adjustments in our approach. Josh has too much responsibility for our fate. Play better run defense, tackle better, pass protect and run block. Put the run into our offense so Josh doesn’t get overwhelmed by good front sevens.

11 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Except we are still the NO1 seed. 

we are still top dog in AFCE. 

on pace for a 12-4 record going into final week. 

still have 4 division games with 3 of them ar home. Yeah we will be fine. 

All comes down to Wednesday and the mri / diagnosis related to Josh’s elbow.  If that result is not good, the OP coukd be right about things feeling, and being different.  That one strip sack , for the moment, might really change the season.  Hoping for the best , but Mcd delaying until Wednesday is pretty concerning as it suggests they are seeking more or a second opinion.  That didn’t work out well for Hyde concerning this year.  Will be a little nervous  Wednesday, but not feeling great about this turn of events. 

55 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

All comes down to Wednesday and the mri / diagnosis related to Josh’s elbow.  If that result is not good, the OP coukd be right about things feeling, and being different.  That one strip sack , for the moment, might really change the season.  Hoping for the best , but Mcd delaying until Wednesday is pretty concerning as it suggests they are seeking more or a second opinion.  That didn’t work out well for Hyde concerning this year.  Will be a little nervous  Wednesday, but not feeling great about this turn of events. 

Every reaction from coach to QB after that game reflected something that I fear we will be hearing on Wednesday. I can’t shake the feeling and it sucks

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't disagree but when it comes down to it the pattern of how we lose games is clear. You should not lose so many 1 score games when you have the ball last with Josh Allen as your QB. But the OL has torpedoed 5 games in two years that have been in that category.

Are O Lines becoming a problem across the board, though? Is that why we’re seeing so many low scoring games; there’s a reduction in talent when it comes to that area of play? Big guys who could do it prefer to be on the defensive side of the ball - picks, sacks, fumbles - than the offensive side.

I can name ten non-Bill defensive players in an instant - Bosa, TJ Watt, JJ Watt, Crosby, Gardner, Hutchinson, Judon, Donald, Ramsey, Garrett - but ten players who play on the O Line in the NFL? I can only remember ours because I’m wondering why they act as turnstiles.

Edited by UKBillFan

13 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Not since the Super Bowl year vs the Giants did have the feeling that Buffalo was the best team in the league, and it wasn't even close. Besides losing to an also injury depleted Jets team, most likely the #1 seed, as well a nice cushion in the division, the aura of this team since to have slipped away as well. I am not saying the attitudes of the players have changed, I am talking about people I know. Yes, Bills fans can overreact a ton after a loss, but this one feels different.

For me, I am terrified that our invincible QB has gone back to his old ways and that is a pretty scary thought. For the last 2 years, I suppose I never thought that Allen would be the reason we ever lost a game (especially one like yesterday). Although Mahomes is not always perfect, he is never the reason the Chiefs lose a game here or there. Keeping the 1 seed is a distance 2nd place in my list of concerns when compared to how Allen responds the rest of the season. In a nutshell, it just sucks when the Bills vibe is sucked dry on a Monday and today it just seems as though everything has changed moving forward. The Vikings game can't get here soon enough to prove me wrong...

My feelings 100%

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.