Bills trade for Nyheim Hines

BLeonard

Just now, Process said:

As good as Beane is, I love me some Beane, he has completely butchered his management of the RB position. 

We have such a good FO. So good. But the RB position just sort of feels like this past Miami game, just a wild comedy of errors. You can even throw in the constant benching of TJ Yeldon into the mix. 

Given the cost of Hines and our cap and contract expirations, I suspect ANOTHER top 100 pick spent on a RB. 

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Exactly. I'd refer you to Brieda as a comparable example. We all know how that worked out. I do think that Hines skill set is much better suited for the Bills offense. His speed certainly had to be respected and that can open up things for others. However, wasn't that Cook's role? It remains to be seen how effective Hines will be. Let's remember the guy is a career back up with speed. These type of running backs are vast. Look at Blackshear. 

Remember Taylor was the workhorse but even with that Hynes was getting 4-6 REC a game and scoring. I had him on my fantasy as a late season pickup in 2020 and he delivered as my flex every week. He might surprise some people.

• Like (+1) 1

Why can’t our backfield for next year be Hines, Cook and a mid/late round bruiser back?

We’re likely never going to draft or pay a Josh Jacobs/Nick Chubb type.  

Hines and a 2nd year Cook give us two guys with speed and pass catching ability.  As long as Cook can develop pass pro ability, what else do we need?  

Sign or Draft a mid/late round big back for short yardage and let’s go.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

In what way is he better than Cook? Show me, don't tell me. He had one really good year as a punt returner(2019). Since then he's averaging 10 yards or less per return.

Jamison Crowder was averaging 11.1 yards per return (9th overall) before he was hurt.    I'll take Heins 10.1 average as a good base, and think with a better ST group around him that can go up.

4 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

This was a move made for this year and I am fine with it. Team has a real shot at the Super Bowl and they acquired some pieces without sacrificing the future. I know playoff time I will be a lot more comfortable with Hines back there backing up Singletary and playing on passing downs.

This was not a move made for this year. Hines and Cook are the starting RBs next year, and probably a draft pick.

Singletary's probably gonna be looking for more than the Bills want to pay.

7 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

In what way is he better than Cook? Show me, don't tell me. He had one really good year as a punt returner(2019). Since then he's averaging 10 yards or less per return.

Just look at the videos people are posting in this thread.  He is a baller 🤙🏼.  The Bills are gonna give him his opportunity here again.  Just mark my posts to you and we can revisit them after the season.  That's reasonable right?

Go Bills!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Why can’t our backfield for next year be Hines, Cook and a mid/late round bruiser back?

We’re likely never going to draft or pay a Josh Jacobs/Nick Chubb type.  

Hines and a 2nd year Cook give us two guys with speed and pass catching ability.  As long as Cook can develop pass pro ability, what else do we need?  

Sign or Draft a mid/late round big back for short yardage and let’s go.  

Sounds like a great plan. 

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

This was not a move made for this year. Hines and Cook are the starting RBs next year, and probably a draft pick.

Singletary's probably gonna be looking for more than the Bills want to pay.

I think he'll be more like Milano and stay where he wants to be for less money. Maybe not, but we'll see.

• Like (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, Mango said:

Put me firmly in the "meh" column. More than anything I am just annoyed at our RB roster management. For such an A+ front office, we are so wonky here. 

2 x 3rds on Moss and Singletary
1x 2nd on Cook
Dislike Moss. Trade him for another and more expensive version of Cook, the guy we just spent a 2nd on 2 months ago. 

I am guessing we lean into Singletary the rest of the year and get away from the RB by committee. Which is fine and I actually like. But given our cap constraints for 2023 and the fact that we have 20+ players with expiring contracts, Singletary isn't likely in the plans. Which means we spend another top 100 pick on a RB behind an OL that struggles with run blocking. 

I think this is a fairly inconsequential move but I am really frustrated by it.

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

At least they move on when they realize they made a mistake.  Beats holding on for egos sake.  

No, I'd say this is much worse.   Moss wasn't that bad in a log of situations and a fraction of the salary we're now gonna be paying Hines.  Nearly $5/yr in 2023 and 2024?  That's double what Singletary was getting at RB1.   I would have rather resigned Singletary next season but I think this all but sealed his fate.  🤷‍♂️

Edited by Lost
  • Haha (+1) 1

I love the “Cook is not built to be a RB1” comments as well.  He’s 5’11 195lbs as a rookie.  Yes some of the NFL lead backs are 10-20 lbs heavier but James’ brother Dalvin makes a pretty good lead back and is an inch shorter as are plenty of RB’s along the same lines.  Cook will be a big part of our offense moving forward.  We now have plenty of speed in the backfield.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.