Kadarius Toney to the Chiefs for picks

wolfpack78

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Or run routes. Or learn a playbook. 

I see this as a bit like when the Bills threw a pick at Cleveland for Corey Coleman, except that was a 7th. 

True but I think Coleman was from the Baylor system which is very gimmicky. At least KT played in the SEC. 

but this could mean nothing. Just more bullets to  potentially use.

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Problem with this:  no mention of belief in the young man’s character.  That IS his biggest problem. It’s not health.  He’s just not a mature adult yet.  Maybe this will help him mature. Maybe not

Very fair point. But winning solves a lot of head issues. Diggs was a “head issue” and now loves Buffalo. But we will see. 

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

So those picks are at the very end of the 3rd round, behind the comp picks.

Still a good haul for a guy who has missed 12 out of a possible 24 games he could play, including 5 so far this season.

Yea I still think that is a pretty high guaranteed cost for a guy who could literally be a complete dud. Now he could emerge as a weapon in a gadget role with a great QB and a brilliant play caller. But I'd say both outcomes are about equal likelihood at this point. Think it is a very brave move but also a very risky one. 

I do remember Matt Miller telling me that draft season that KC loved Toney though. They ended up trading out of round 1 for Orlando Brown but when they had their pick he thought if Toney made it there they would pick him. So they are maybe just doubling down on what they thought then for a lesser cost?

• Like (+1) 3

Chiefs get a speedy WR? Dang, the Bills should add a DB in order to keep up in the arms race.

Oh wait.

We have an All-Pro CB being added to our 5-1, #1D next week. And he's already on a long term team friendly deal. And he knows the defense. And we dont have to spend a bunch of picks to get him.

Master Team Building by Brandon Beane.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We traded for Diggs who had way more “issues” in Minnesota than Jeudy has in Denver. 

You're probably right. But although Diggs was unhappy in Minny I don't recall him being a bad actor at all (like maybe Toney is) and he had produced better than Jeudy has.  There are pros and cons in any trade evaluation, but Beane has a very low tolerance it seems to me for anything that can adversely affect team chemistry. Not at all the philosophy we see from KC.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

True but I think Coleman was from the Baylor system which is very gimmicky. At least KT played in the SEC. 

but this could mean nothing. Just more bullets to  potentially use.

Very fair point. But winning solves a lot of head issues. Diggs was a “head issue” and now loves Buffalo. But we will see. 

Winning sometimes solves head issues.  Sometimes they don’t.  Huge roll of the dice- they would’ve been better off trading for mcaffery imo.  At least he’s a dedicated and proven star.  Kadarious is a proven malcontent 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Or run routes. Or learn a playbook. 

I see this as a bit like when the Bills threw a pick at Cleveland for Corey Coleman, except that was a 7th. 

This moreso reminds me of when the bills traded away watkins and darby.  

Toney has had rumblings of being a malcontent back to training camp last year.  Schoen and Daboll are putting their mark on the team and removing guys that don't buy in.  At least thats how I see it.

• Like (+1) 3

47 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Chiefs are already leading the league in yards after the catch for the 2nd year in a row. How much help does YACtrick Mahomes need?

I have him and Josh neck and neck for the best QB in the league, but that was funny. 😂

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He reminds me of Percy Harvin too... but I think Percy Harvin is one of the most overrated players to have played in the NFL in the last two decades. Toney is fast. He can make you miss in a phone box. However, he is yet to demonstrate he can play wide receiver in the NFL effectively. 

The story on him coming out was that Florida got him the ball in ways that accentuated his talent and just got him in 1v1s because even in college learning plays and understanding the offense wasn't really his bag. Those who were particularly low on him (and listen I quite liked him as a day 2 guy... just didn't think he belonged in round 1) made the point then that it is hard to do in the NFL where everyone has talent. 

If there is any team that can make it work with a speedy gadget guy who doesn't know the plays and doesn't really run routes it might be Kansas City with Mahomes and Reid. I can see the attraction for them. But I would suspect that there are heavy conditions on that 3rd round pick. Because at this point there is a fair chance that this league is just beyond him either because he isn't able to get the mental part down or isn't willing to put in the work to do so.

Potentially high reward but for a 3rd round pick pretty high risk unless the conditions are designed to mitigate that risk. 

Fair enough.

In his best season, being used as a dual receiving/rushing threat, Harvin posted 1,300 yards from scrimmage and 8 TDs. 

I agree that Toney, like Harvin before him, is not a classic NFL receiver and likely lacks the ability to be one. Like you say, though, this is Kansas City we're talking about. They collect players like this. He seems potentially more dangerouss in their scheme than, say, Mecole Hardman, who is more of a straight line speed guy.

Being depended on to be the number 1 receiver, which is what the Giants wanted and needed him to be, was never going to work. Asking him to be a classic starting X or Z was never going to work. Having him around for manufactured touches, screens, jet sweep, and catch-and-run plays with as much room for YAC as Andy Reid is typically able to scheme up, though? That seems like a recipe for success for Toney.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I misunderstood.  Sorry, my quote was regarding Toney.  

Qb play is definitely holding moore back…. But the jets aren’t trading him to Buffalo.  And you know thissssss mannn

Doesn't make a ton of sense, KC seems to already have plenty of WR's and not enough footballs to go around.

I'd still like the Bills to do something.  Not sure what? It's an arms race though amongst the top tier teams.

Maybe they are waiting to see if anyone gets dinged up this weekend before doing something.

3 minutes ago, section122 said:

This moreso reminds me of when the bills traded away watkins and darby.  

Toney has had rumblings of being a malcontent back to training camp last year.  Schoen and Daboll are putting their mark on the team and removing guys that don't buy in.  At least thats how I see it.

Yes for sure from the Giants side it is that. I was talking from the KC side.

51 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Toney has loads of talent and can certainly change games. 

Chiefs get him in year 2 of his rookie deal which is significant for them.

Tyreek lite basically if things go well.

Yup. KC was looking for more help stretching the field and pressuring defenses deep. No surprise that they made a move after losing tho the Bills at home. 

47 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

So you think Schoen and Daboll would pull the wool over Beane and McDermott about a headcase football player after they helped them get the jobs their in currently? If the Bills inquired I'm sure they would have told the Bills the truth about the player. 

No I’m saying if we actually wanted him we could have matched that and they would have taken it 

I don’t think we were interested 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.