Kadarius Toney to the Chiefs for picks

wolfpack78

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm curious to know who you mean, exactly? If you're talking Juju or MVS it's really early to chalk them up as a success yet. Lev Bell? Shady? Kelvin Benjamin? Josh Gordon? This is a desperation move that the Chiefs seem to swing and miss on every year.  Nothing to see here.

You can’t compare toney to dudes who were on their last legs. No one questions toney’s talent. He just is made of the staff stuff Sammy is made of. 

Despite this dude being a malcontent and looking like a bust (from an attitude and professionalism perspective), this trade worries me. If he "gets it", this is going to be a great acquisition for KC.  You can almost envision him making some game-changing play in our stadium in January.  At the end of the day, I guess I'm still fearful of the Chiefs.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He reminds me of Percy Harvin too... but I think Percy Harvin is one of the most overrated players to have played in the NFL in the last two decades. Toney is fast. He can make you miss in a phone box. However, he is yet to demonstrate he can play wide receiver in the NFL effectively. 

The story on him coming out was that Florida got him the ball in ways that accentuated his talent and just got him in 1v1s because even in college learning plays and understanding the offense wasn't really his bag. Those who were particularly low on him (and listen I quite liked him as a day 2 guy... just didn't think he belonged in round 1) made the point then that it is hard to do in the NFL where everyone has talent. 

If there is any team that can make it work with a speedy gadget guy who doesn't know the plays and doesn't really run routes it might be Kansas City with Mahomes and Reid. I can see the attraction for them. But I would suspect that there are heavy conditions on that 3rd round pick. Because at this point there is a fair chance that this league is just beyond him either because he isn't able to get the mental part down or isn't willing to put in the work to do so.

Potentially high reward but for a 3rd round pick pretty high risk unless the conditions are designed to mitigate that risk. 

There are no conditions. It's a 3 and a 6. 

Don't see how a very late third round pick is high risk.

I would have been okay with the Bills making the same trade. But would much rather sign obj for the playoffs and give up no draft picks, and this should take the chiefs out of the running for him so it could still be a win for us. 

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm curious to know who you mean, exactly? If you're talking Juju or MVS it's really early to chalk them up as a success yet. Lev Bell? Shady? Kelvin Benjamin? Josh Gordon? This is a desperation move that the Chiefs seem to swing and miss on every year.  Nothing to see here.

Maybe your not thinking of the same things i'm thinking. They have success with malcontents who have screwed up before and have turned them around. Tyreek Hill, Frank Clark, Travis Kelce(in college), Willie Gay Jr who just came off suspension, Bashaud Breeland who got arrested and went on to be successful with the Chiefs. I think were thinking of 2 different lines. Your thinking of reclamation projects. 

• Like (+1) 2

I wouldn't overlook this move, and I wouldn't just blanketly say Toney is a bust.  

Toney played on horrific offenses with a horrific QB prior to this year.  And he has battled some injuries.  To just say he can't succeed or be dangerous now in a terrific situation in KC, is very premature.  

It was a lot to risk on him, sure.  But this trade could really help the Chiefs.  When they lost Hill, it took 2 things away...a guy who can stretch the defense but also that quick strike YAC weapons that Mahomes uses so well.  Toney can help fill those voids.  

So...yeah, I wouldn't be so quick to mock this move.  If Toney can stay healthy and available, he can really help that offense because he doesn't have to replicate Hills production with all the other weapons they have.  But his presence and threat over the top and underneath on those short strikes for YAC is going to make the Chiefs harder to defend.

I think this trade helps the Chiefs more than the Quinn trade helped the Eagles.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

Maybe your not thinking of the same things i'm thinking. They have success with malcontents who have screwed up before and have turned them around. Tyreek Hill, Frank Clark, Travis Kelce(in college), Willie Gay Jr who just came off suspension, Bashaud Breeland who got arrested and went on to be successful with the Chiefs. I think were thinking of 2 different lines. Your thinking of reclamation projects. 

To put this in perspective Toney is a known headcase with a lot of talent that struggles to learn the playbook and had an AR-15 found in his car when he was at UF

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They have a bunch of role player receiver. Toney, on paper since he’s always hurt, might be their most talented receiver now. 

Hill the scumbag changes how defenses played KC. They are still really good but it hurts them against top defenses like ours. This is the Rams problem as well. Defenses can squat on underneath stuff without the fear of being torched.

Toney isn't a guy to torch you, though. YAC? Sure. But Toney himself is a role player guy as well.  And one with persistent soft tissue injuries at that. When you look into the future at a possible Chiefs/Bills rematch does Toney tip the scale as much as, say Tre White being back again? I think we both know that answer...lol

3 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

This all must mean we are getting OBJ!

OBJ might not be back until December. And it’s also banking on a dude coming off a major injury is back to 100%, which is risky. 

personally, I love Elijah Moore and would like a toney (though those injuries are really scary) more than OBJ, who I feel is severely overrated at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You can’t compare toney to dudes who were on their last legs. No one questions toney’s talent. He just is made of the staff stuff Sammy is made of. 

Honestly, I shouldn't compare Toney to any of those dudes because he hasn't accomplished 1% of what any of them did in the NFL. While those guys were on their last legs...Toney hasn't even found his yet. This speaks where he may be on his own career path as well!

28 minutes ago, SCBills said:

That's legitimate compensation being sent out by the Chiefs for Toney. 

Does this foretell anything in regards to OBJ's mindset?  I've always thought the Chiefs and Rams were the main competition for him.  Maybe Ravens, but he'd be a fool to go there on a prove-it deal.  

I liked Toney coming out of Florida, but he's been a highlight here or there followed by no production and injuries. 

That's like Martin signing with buffalo on a prove-it deal. 

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

Honestly, I shouldn't compare Toney to any of those dudes because he hasn't accomplished 1% of what any of them did in the NFL. While those guys were on their last legs...Toney hasn't even found his yet. This speaks where he may be on his own career path as well!

Of course. But in the nfl, young is better than old. Obviously, health matters too. 

37 minutes ago, wolfpack78 said:

Conditional 3rd and a 6th

Wow, that's a haul.  The Giants have this to say about it:

https://www.nj.com/giants/2022/10/heres-why-brian-daboll-says-giants-traded-kadarius-toney-to-chiefs.html

Even though Daboll didn’t come out and say it Thursday, it’s pretty clear that Toney’s lack of dependability resulted in new Giants general manager Joe Schoen trading him to the Chiefs.

“We just thought it was for the best, for the team,” Daboll said of the trade before Thursday’s practice. “Wish Kadarius well. I’m not going to get into any of the details. Our decision is for the team and we’re moving on.”

Daboll spoke to reporters just moments after the trade went down. Daboll and Schoen informed Toney of the trade in person before Thursday’s practice. Daboll declined to say how Toney reacted.

“I’m going to keep that between us,” Daboll said.

NJ press take on that:

Brian Daboll values dependability.

Kadarius Toney was far from dependable during his time with the Giants.

And so it is that Toney is no longer a member of Daboll’s team.

Edited by Beck Water

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.