Was it Allen or Daboll?

Charles Romes

It was obviously both. 

To succeed in the NFL, a lot has to go right & fall into the place. It was Josh. It was Daboll. It was McDermott. It was Diggs. It was Beasley. It was Jordan Palmer.

All these guys (and many more) were invaluable to Josh's development & growth.

Who were the only successful QB's from that 2018 draft? Allen & Lamar. Who were the only QB's with the same OC for most of their careers? Allen & Lamar. Granted, Greg Roman didn't take over as the actual OC until 2019 (the year Lamar won MVP), but he was already on staff as Assistant HC in 2017/2018.

But to this day, I still give the most credit to Allen's own work ethic & commitment. He's basically the anti-Kyler Murray. He knew he was raw, knew what his weaknesses were, knew he could improve, & dedicated all his efforts into doing so. With that being said, he deserves the most credit. 

8 hours ago, mrags said:

Unfortunately for him, they are screwing up their draft position by winning meaningless games. They may not even make the playoffs. They have to contend with the Eagles and Cowboys in their division. 

That's very similar to the 2017 Bills when many of us thought that we were doomed to QB purgatory when we were drafting 21 and 22.  Since Joe Schoen was here when we got from 21 to 7 and got the best player in the draft, I think he will know how to move up if he has a player they really want.

5 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

What? Then explain what he's doing with Dorsey.  We have an OC literally in his first year of play calling and Allen is torching defenses.  

Daniel Jones manages football games. Daboll is smart enough to know he doesn't have the QB in NY to do what he did in Buffalo with Josh. Josh can literally take over a game.  The two simply cannot be compared.

Everyone knew going into the draft that the Josh's ceiling was the stratosphere if he could mature, work on his accuracy, and make better decisions with the ball.  I attribute Josh's maturation more to Dorsey than Daboll. Dorsey played at an elite level in college and won a title, plus knew the offense inside and out.  Who else would be better to help a Rookie with raw talent like that more than Dorsey?

The rookie with raw talent had David Culley as his QB coach

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Last week on the 98 yard TD to Davis, Allen said he noticed the safety was taking a bad angle on the double team and couldn't provide help so he knew Davis would be open once he cleared the CB...

Yeah when people talk about the game slowing down for a QB, there's a certain point where they start noticing the miniscule details that make a huge difference. This is where I think the chips they use to create Next Gen Stats falls short. It isn't just about how far away a defender is from the receiver, it's about the position of their body and the leverage they have, not to mention whatever the QB is dealing with in the pocket at that point. The crazy thing is that Allen will only keep getting better in this area. The game will keep slowing down. And because he's the strongest baddest man on the field at all times it only takes a tiny slip-up from a defender to open up a huge opportunity for a big pass or scramble.

11 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

I was one of those who thought it was all-Allen. In fact, in my view Allen carried Daboll all four years. However, looking at the astonishing reclamation going on in New York, it’s difficult to ignore the possibility that the Bills lucked out by having an all-time quarterback whisperer on staff when Allen arrived. Allen would have become great no matter who coached him, but possibly not this level of great. 

Yeah, Josh has done the work to get better.  We also can’t undervalue Josh’s work with Jordan Palmer each offseason.

2 hours ago, Lfod said:

I would think Josh Allen played a bigger role to help Daboll on his road to HC than Daboll's role in making Josh Allen into a star QB although I am sure he played his part. 

Think that is absolutely fair. When Daboll arrived here nobody thought he was a legit HC candidate. Being an OC with Josh Allen is going to get you noticed for HC looks. But it is not as if Daboll was a total passenger from then on out. Josh Allen loved him and for good reason. QB always matters more than coaching, but there was lots of evidence on the field when Daboll was here that he knew what he was doing. In particular he was a great set up coordinator. He'd set defenses up with plays in the first half that he could come back to later and run something out of the same look when he needed a play. He is far from the only OC who ever did that of course, but he was really smart and creative the way he did it. 

@Beck Water made a point earlier about his communication as well. Because I am sad like that I have watched a couple of his Giants pressers and in his mid week pressers man he sounds like McDermott up there sometimes. He has had the luck to work for Belichick, Saban and McDermott and you can see he has tried to take things from them. 

5 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

That's very similar to the 2017 Bills when many of us thought that we were doomed to QB purgatory when we were drafting 21 and 22.  Since Joe Schoen was here when we got from 21 to 7 and got the best player in the draft, I think he will know how to move up if he has a player they really want.

Yep and as we saw with Buffalo there is kudos that being competitive right away buys a regime. That credit in the bank for McDermott and Beane was big as we fumbled around in Josh's rookie year with Nate Peteman and Derek Anderson starting games, getting blown out multiple times and having an (at the time) NFL record amount of dead cap on the books while fielding an offensive line that Brandon Beane himself later described as "horrible."

Had they gone say 5-11 in 2017, not had to trade up to pick Josh at 7 and then gone 6-10 through that messy year in 2018 they would have gone into 2019 on the hotseat potentially and who knows how that changes the decisions they then make. Daboll and Schoen know even a 9-8 that misses the playoffs will buy them credit and time. 

The luxury they don't have that the Bills did by the looks of it is an upcoming QB class rich in prospective talent (even though sure some of them busted). I haven't watched the Kentucky kid yet but I am not sold that Stroud or Young are franchise changers at this stage. 

ofc dorsey is going to get hired as a HC. teams are DESPERATE for any offensive spark.

i dont want to lose dorsey after this year, but there is joe brady who is very capable of stepping up and kicking butt.

but then we have to find someone else after joe brady gets hired in two years haha

• Like (+1) 1

10 years ago, more OC and HCs were dominated by “systems” approach.

Dabs and McD are clearly in the “adapt strategies to my skills available”. It seems so simple but tell that to the “systems guys”

2 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

ofc dorsey is going to get hired as a HC

No. I don’t see it happening for a while. HC is Chief Operations Officer. Too big an unproven jump in COO breadth. See Nat Hackett. 

I can't recall that I've ever heard of, or have seen a QB work as hard to perfect his craft as Josh Allen. He knew when he was being evaluated for the draft what his faults were and was working on them at that time. 

Josh was working with Jordan Palmer before the 2018 NFL draft and he continues to work with Palmer to perfect his craft every offseason since. It was more Palmer working on his mechanics.

How smart is Josh Allen? He scored a 37 on the NFL Wonderlic. What does that score mean?

https://wonderlictestpractice.com/wonderlic-test-scoring/

A score in the 98th percentile or above qualifies a person for Mensa membership.

Make no mistake, Brian Daboll was brilliant in certain aspects of being an NFL OC!

His game planning and setting up the passing scheme against opponents was remarkable at times.

Then again, he had some flaws as he would get overly pass happy at times, even when Josh was under extreme duress and had great difficulty in completing passes. While also sometimes ignoring the run game altogether.

Daboll certainly helped Josh learn how to read NFL defenses and run an NFL offense. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEfF6ceLkp8&ab_channel=NFL

I'm just so grateful that Cleveland 2x, the NY Jets passed on Josh. Not to mention Indy, Denver, NY Giants. 

Just now, Gene1973 said:

He's got them believing that's for sure.

Yes.

He has also been running plenty.

McD made many comments last year about the offense needing to be more “balanced”. Turns out that Daboll has no problem running - he just knew we didn’t have the horses to run.

Plus we have a unicorn in Allen.

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

I just said in another thread… The Giants are pretenders but damn good job by Daboll getting those wins with a talentless team. 

They’ve beaten the Titans, Ravens and Packers.

Not elite teams, but decent teams anyway.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yes.

He has also been running plenty.

McD made many comments last year about the offense needing to be more “balanced”. Turns out that Daboll has no problem running - he just knew we didn’t have the horses to run.

Plus we have a unicorn in Allen.

They’ve beaten the Titans, Ravens and Packers.

Not elite teams, but decent teams anyway.

That team winning any games is good coaching. I don’t care who they played. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.