James Cook TD Run

wppete

40 minutes ago, mrags said:

Well. I will concede. I don’t think Singletary is too slow to make that play yesterday. But I do question his ability to actually find the right hole or make the right cut to actually have a chance to outrun the defenders in the play. 

fyi I didn’t watch your video. I’ve seen every Singletary play he’s ever made. I have no doubts he has the physical abilities to be a good RB. I just question his instincts and football intelligence when it comes to running the football. Every player has some good plays. They are in the nfl after all. I feel like his good plays are few and far between (1 a game at most) and his average plays need to be more effective. 

I think that is more of a function in lack of opportunities though.  Last season, in the 7 games where Devin got 12+ carries, his season average would have been 1400 yards and 17 TDs over a full season.  

He has run well too this year, but you can't lead your team in rushing if you don't actually run the ball.  What we have seen, is we don't really start running the ball with any regularity until the starters come out in blow out wins.  And at that point, they have been giving the rookie snaps with Keenum as they pulled the starters.  

Our biggest 2 issues this year in our run game are not running enough and their mistake of using Moss.  But they have seemingly finally caught on to the Moss issue and got back to giving Devin the lions share of the snaps.  But we still just don't run much, and hard to fault them on that when Allen is balling out like this. 

And I am not saying we cant improve on Devin by any means, and I doubt we sign him back as hard to validate paying RB's when you can draft a cheaper one.  But this whole discussion started when people over exaggerated Cooks TD and said none of our other RB's were fast enough to make that run which is the only thing I took exception too as it was a complete farse given Devin has done it many times.  

30 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think that is more of a function in lack of opportunities though.  Last season, in the 7 games where Devin got 12+ carries, his season average would have been 1400 yards and 17 TDs over a full season.  

He has run well too this year, but you can't lead your team in rushing if you don't actually run the ball.  What we have seen, is we don't really start running the ball with any regularity until the starters come out in blow out wins.  And at that point, they have been giving the rookie snaps with Keenum as they pulled the starters.  

Our biggest 2 issues this year in our run game are not running enough and their mistake of using Moss.  But they have seemingly finally caught on to the Moss issue and got back to giving Devin the lions share of the snaps.  But we still just don't run much, and hard to fault them on that when Allen is balling out like this. 

And I am not saying we cant improve on Devin by any means, and I doubt we sign him back as hard to validate paying RB's when you can draft a cheaper one.  But this whole discussion started when people over exaggerated Cooks TD and said none of our other RB's were fast enough to make that run which is the only thing I took exception too as it was a complete farse given Devin has done it many times.  

He has. Like I admitted he would have been able to make that run based on physical ability. I just don’t think he makes the right choice behind the line, or hole, or cut to make it all happen. Devin is fine when he has a tractor trailer sized hole to run through. Unfortunately just about any RB in this league could make that play too. 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Any analysis of our run game that doesn't mention Oline play is fatally flawed.  We don't run the ball because we can't run block for the 3rd consecutive year.  Saffold is a disaster, Morse has the athleticism to pull but lacks power for push on inside runs, Brown has been shaky, and last year it took 14 weeks to figure out a viable solution at RG.  I don't notice Bates a lot so maybe he's decent. 

Every expert analysis says we don't have the athletes for a zone running scheme but thats what we keep forcing.  Last year's run game improved after we abandoned zone run but apparently gap scheme limits the passing looks and telegraphs running plays.

Our running backs have nowhere to run and get hit in the backfield nonstop and this forum only wants to talk about speed at the RB position.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Must be why he only had 1 missed tackle through the first 4 weeks

What does missed tackles have to do with play against the run?  Hey, if he made 5 tackle attempts and only missed one that seems great unless there 30 other attempts he wasn't in position to even register a miss.  

Minkah is not a run game enforcer...and no missed tackle stat can refute that.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What does missed tackles have to do with play against the run?  Hey, if he made 5 tackle attempts and only missed one that seems great unless there 30 other attempts he wasn't in position to even register a miss.

He had 32 total tackles through 4 weeks heading into the game, which is a lot for a safety. Really not that hard to look up.

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Minkah is not a run game enforcer...and no missed tackle stat can refute that.  

I never said he was an “enforcer” or thumper or anything like that. The point is that Cook forced a missed tackle against a player that doesn’t miss many tackles.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, gobills404 said:

He had 32 total tackles through 4 weeks heading into the game, which is a lot for a safety. Really not that hard to look up.

I never said he was an “enforcer” or thumper or anything like that. The point is that Cook forced a missed tackle against a player that doesn’t miss many tackles.

Just saying you responded to GunnerBill with the 1 missed tackle stat as a rebuttal to him saying he isn't known as a run stopper.  Point is, 1 missed tackle doesn't translate into him being good against the run.  He makes tackles on receivers catching the ball, that is a lot different than tackling a player running in the open field.  So just pointing out the 1 missed tackle doesn't refute GunnerBills point.  

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Just saying you responded to GunnerBill with the 1 missed tackle stat as a rebuttal to him saying he isn't known as a run stopper.  Point is, 1 missed tackle doesn't translate into him being good against the run.  He makes tackles on receivers catching the ball, that is a lot different than tackling a player running in the open field.  So just pointing out the 1 missed tackle doesn't refute GunnerBills point.  

My bad, I didn’t realize the 2 of you know Minkah better than actual Steelers fans do.

I’ve never seen somebody bury their head in the sand so hard in an effort to discredit a player on their own team. Take care 👍.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Cook TD run was nice to see.  James needs to take over the snaps from Moss.  We got to see more from him because he could

end up being the only 2022 RB to be on the roster next season.

Duke Johnson.  I want him to get a call-up later in the year to replace Moss for a game or two to see what he brings.

5 hours ago, gobills404 said:

My bad, I didn’t realize the 2 of you know Minkah better than actual Steelers fans do.

I’ve never seen somebody bury their head in the sand so hard in an effort to discredit a player on their own team. Take care 👍.

Wow dude...now a fans ranting tweet on twitter is now your evidence?  In all sincerity, this might be the worst piece of evidence and rebuttal to a post on TSW I have ever seen.  I can't even believe you thought this was worth sending.

The most hilairous part of this tweet is that he is clearly directly talking to people who are clearly critizing his tackling 😂 

I mean look at our own fans...there are Bills fans who want to fire both McD and Beane...hell there were people in the shout box saying to fire them during the first half of the Ravens game.

But please go on...please send me more tweets of uniformed fans making whiney proclamations on twitter as evidence.  🤦‍♂️

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wow dude...now a fans ranting tweet on twitter is now your evidence?  In all sincerity, this might be the worst piece of evidence and rebuttal to a post on TSW I have ever seen.  I can't even believe you thought this was worth sending.

The most hilairous part of this tweet is that he is clearly directly talking to people who are clearly critizing his tackling 😂 

I mean look at our own fans...there are Bills fans who want to fire both McD and Beane...hell there were people in the shout box saying to fire them during the first half of the Ravens game.

But please go on...please send me more tweets of uniformed fans making whiney proclamations on twitter as evidence.  🤦‍♂️

Yeah I’m not reading that butthurt rant. Good job wasting your time typing it tho 😂

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, gobills404 said:

Yeah I’m not reading that butthurt rant. Good job wasting your time typing it tho 😂

But hurt...lmao...I had to contain my laughter when I saw you respond with a fans rant on twitter as evidence of something you know nothing about.  Thanks for laugh though

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It's hilarious you're dying on this hill for no reason. Cook made multiple players look silly on this play and you're over here acting like it's all routine stuff. Watch it in slow motion. It was a sick run.

• Thank you (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's hilarious you're dying on this hill for no reason. Cook made multiple players look silly on this play and you're over here acting like it's all routine stuff. Watch it in slow motion. It was a sick run.

Stop trying to make him angry by providing evidence. You’re supposed to make baseless claims crapping on players on your own team.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Didn't die on any hill...already posted many videos of Devin making same kind of run and for longer.  Not my fault people prefer blind false boasts over video facts.

9 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Lost in all the excitement is Zack Moss only had a few carries yesterday and hopefully this was forshadowing his future here because I've said all along that Singletary is the clear RB1 and Cook should be getting the rest of the snaps.

I believed in Moss for as long as I could but outside of great blocking skills and passable receiving skills he brings nothing to the table.

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Thank you for this. The breakdown showed a much better run than I imagined.

Why 2 posters are working so hard to belittle a rookie who made a great play is beyond me.

Cook is a Bill now and he deserves our support especially when he makes a great play

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

more Cook less Moss  Simple as that  Little as the Bills run the opportunities will be  few and far between regardless

I think we are watching that process slowly take place. They just need to build a little more trust, bit by bit. 

• Agree 1

On 10/9/2022 at 5:59 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean any of our RBs could have scored on that TD…but was still nice to see and hopefully gets the kid some confidence because he’s been playing slow out there at times.  But I think that’s just been a combo of too few snaps and a couple snafus with the fumble and key dropped easy pass.  

But I expect the kid is going to start seeing more snaps and Moss is gonna be phased out.  He’s gonna be a nice weapon come playoff time.  

I dont think Moss has the burst to beat the Safety on that play. It would have been a nice pickup but i dont think he scores. Even Singletary may have gotten tripped up there

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.