Trade Deadline (Nov 1) Bills Rumors / Speculation

Warriorspikes51

16 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Sure but at what cost we already have so much invested in this line I wish we had that much invested in our offense of line

I'm not advocating for it and was just answering your question.  My hope is Epenesa or Basham can take a giant step quickly because that would be a scary rotation at a reasonable cost.

• Agree 1

KJ Hamler would be a guy I go after. Former second round pick, just turned 23yo. Would be the fastest guy on our offense and provide needed depth at WR. 

Had the ACL injury and otherwise has been stuck in a terrible offense and is not being used.

Don't think it's fair to judge his career so far considering what he's dealt with. Sure he could stink, but there is also likely some legit potential there. Worth a 4th rd flyer.

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34857900/sources-panthers-rejected-offer-two-1st-round-picks-brian-burns

I would do this in a heartbeat.  Instantly have the best pass rush in the NFL.  

What exactly would you do in a heartbeat? The Panthers just rejected an offer of two 1st rounders for Burns.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Given our OL challenges, I see Austen Corbett as well worth a look:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2022/10/antonio-gibson-albert-okwuegbunam-bills-have-options-to-upgrade-roster-ahead-of-2022-nfl-trade-deadline.html

’The Panthers are tearing things down after trading away Christian McCaffrey to the San Francisco 49ers. There may be certain players that they view as cornerstones in their rebuild, but Austin Corbett, a 27 year old offensive lineman, likely isn’t part of that plan.

For Buffalo, however, Corbett could be a valuable piece to their offensive line over the remainder of the season.

Corbett is a quality guard who also has experience playing under Aaron Kromer with the Los Angeles Rams (2019-2020). After the Browns traded Corbett to the Rams, Kromer spoke about what he liked about the lineman.

“I think obviously he’s athletic to play guard, but he bends well enough to play center,” Kromer said. “When we worked him out, we had him at center up at the college. He really moved down the line of scrimmage really well, he was athletic to the second level.”

pff 79.5, 2018 rd 2 pick 33

Not sure we could afford him, but if we could, plug him in and move Bates to backup center, drop Van Roten.

Edited by hemma
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, hemma said:

Given our OL challenges, I see Austen Corbett as well worth a look:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2022/10/antonio-gibson-albert-okwuegbunam-bills-have-options-to-upgrade-roster-ahead-of-2022-nfl-trade-deadline.html

’The Panthers are tearing things down after trading away Christian McCaffrey to the San Francisco 49ers. There may be certain players that they view as cornerstones in their rebuild, but Austin Corbett, a 27 year old offensive lineman, likely isn’t part of that plan.

For Buffalo, however, Corbett could be a valuable piece to their offensive line over the remainder of the season.

Corbett is a quality guard who also has experience playing under Aaron Kromer with the Los Angeles Rams (2019-2020). After the Browns traded Corbett to the Rams, Kromer spoke about what he liked about the lineman.

“I think obviously he’s athletic to play guard, but he bends well enough to play center,” Kromer said. “When we worked him out, we had him at center up at the college. He really moved down the line of scrimmage really well, he was athletic to the second level.”

pff 79.5, 2018 rd 2 pick 33

I’d give a 3rd for this guy.  Plug him in and move Bates to backup center, drop Van Roten.

This would be a smarter trade for us  and we have a cornerstone right guard for next few years instead of having to do it all through the draft.  Our biggest need is OL rebuilding.  It would be smart to start doing it now if we can get a passable deal done.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Everything Rock a Bye has said about the amount of cap space we can open up by restructuring is true. You can argue whether or how it may impact us down the line, but Bean can clear close to 60 million if needed (he wont clear that much). That’s EXACTLY why he structured these contracts the way he did especially with the foundation pieces that will be around for a long time.

The cap is a myth, I firmly believe that. It gives GMs an excuse to tell the fans when they don’t want to pay too much for a player (we really wanted to keep him, we just couldn’t fit him under the cap).

What people aren’t realizing is the cap is going to EXPLODE in the next few years. Not only the huge TV deal, but legal gambling has been an absolute gold mine for the NFL. Everything I’ve read and heard about gambling says that the amount the NFL is racking in vastly exceeds expectations. 

As long as you have an owner who’s wiling to write big checks when those restructures come into play, which we do, we can keep this train rolling for a loooong time.

Edited by RunTheBall
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Aurelius said:

This would be a smarter trade for us  and we have a cornerstone right guard for next few years instead of having to do it all through the draft.  Our biggest need is OL rebuilding.  It would be smart to start doing it now if we can get a passable deal done.  

Agree with this. Maybe also touch base with the Broncos about Risner.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I really like the idea of Hamler and Corbett if Beane can swing it. Hamler is talented, but on the wrong team to utilize him correctly and Corbett would be a good upgrade on bates, who shouldn’t be more than the swing guy. 

Bates had a really good game vs KC. There is no chance they trade for Corbett. People need to understand this is the OL they wanted and paid for.

Depending on Browns injury you could see a depth OT added, but I highly doubt they’d be looking to replace a player like Bates they just extended.

I would love to see Hamler added to the WR group.

• Agree 1

If I am Beane,you acquire as many quality backup pieces on both sides of the ball, as you can, for the minimal (3rd Round & up) pain.

THIS IS THE YEAR!

Get er done.

As a Toronto Raptors fan, did Toronto fans say… “getting Kawhi Leonard was really wasteful & foolish” ?

NEVER!

EVER!

EVER!

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

You're damn right I don't want to move on from Edmunds, Oliver or Singletary. Edmunds and Oliver in particular would leave massive holes. Oliver and Edmunds particularly.

Oliver is 100% tradable.

All things considered, and by that I mean (a) his contract status - Edmunds should be the priority (b) the fact we did not miss him while Injured (c) he is not a game changer and (d) we would want to protect draft picks if we make a trade to shore up our roster for a playoff and SB run, I feel Oliver is very expendable.

I hope potential trade partners/suitors feel as highly as some posters here feel about Oliver here as that would ensure we get a good payback. But when watching Oliver he is just not a game changer.  Does he make a play a game? Sure, but he has never dominated a game nor does he alter game plans.  He has heart, but is undersized and simply cannot finish big plays.  Yes, he deflected a pass in the KC, but that stated Mahommes also completed a TD pass while Oliver was trying to take him down and got put on his back from a single block and moved too easily to frequently. 

I get it, he seems like a good guy, seems to work hard, but we did not miss him at all during his time healing the high ankle sprain.  I feel in the colder weather when teams will be running more we need sheer size on the DL and Bryant and virtually every DT back up we have provides a solid alternative. 

Honestly, I do not consider this a hot take, just a common sense consideration when you take actual play into account not aspirations or hopes.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bates had a really good game vs KC. There is no chance they trade for Corbett. People need to understand this is the OL they wanted and paid for.

Depending on Browns injury you could see a depth OT added, but I highly doubt they’d be looking to replace a player like Bates they just extended.

I would love to see Hamler added to the WR group.

I don't know enough about Austin Corbett to know if he fits the profile. But if they Bills could trade a 3rd for a guaranteed starting OG, it wouldn't necessarily be to replace Bates. It would be for insurance this season, and having your Saffold replacement for next year. 

Edited by Motorin'

5 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

Everything Rock a Bye has said about the amount of cap space we can open up by restructuring is true. You can argue whether or how it may impact us down the line, but Bean can clear close to 60 million if needed (he wont clear that much). That’s EXACTLY why he structured these contracts the way he did especially with the foundation pieces that will be around for a long time.

The cap is a myth, I firmly believe that. It gives GMs an excuse to tell the fans when they don’t want to pay too much for a player (we really wanted to keep him, we just couldn’t fit him under the cap).

What people aren’t realizing is the cap is going to EXPLODE in the next few years. Not only the huge TV deal, but legal gambling has been an absolute gold mine for the NFL. Everything I’ve read and heard about gambling says that the amount the NFL is racking in vastly exceeds expectations. 

As long as you have an owner who’s wiling to write big checks when those restructures come into play, which we do, we can keep this train rolling for a loooong time.

Yes you can restructure guys and open cap room.  That was never in question.  Whats in question is whether opening that cap room to pay a bunch of stars while the rest of your team suffers with Bobby Harts all over the roster is the smart thing to do.  Couple that with down the road having a bunch of aging guys that cant play anymore on contracts that you cant get rid of because of dead cap.  It isn't smart.

This team is good because it was built intelligently.  It has stars in key areas then really good players in other and then role players.  Its has some holes. All teams have holes.  This is because the cap really does exist as much as people like you want to deny that.  This team is going to be good for a long time because the cap and its players are managed well.  They dont pick up the shiney expensive player every time one pops up.  They pick one up when it makes sense to pick one up.

This team is going to need to restructure just to field a roster and keep guys we already have.  Spending that restructure on players like a running back isnt the way to go.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IndyMark said:

Oliver is 100% tradable.

All things considered, and by that I mean (a) his contract status - Edmunds should be the priority (b) the fact we did not miss him while Injured (c) he is not a game changer and (d) we would want to protect draft picks if we make a trade to shore up our roster for a playoff and SB run, I feel Oliver is very expendable.

I hope potential trade partners/suitors feel as highly as some posters here feel about Oliver here as that would ensure we get a good payback. But when watching Oliver he is just not a game changer.  Does he make a play a game? Sure, but he has never dominated a game nor does he alter game plans.  He has heart, but is undersized and simply cannot finish big plays.  Yes, he deflected a pass in the KC, but that stated Mahommes also completed a TD pass while Oliver was trying to take him down and got put on his back from a single block and moved too easily to frequently. 

I get it, he seems like a good guy, seems to work hard, but we did not miss him at all during his time healing the high ankle sprain.  I feel in the colder weather when teams will be running more we need sheer size on the DL and Bryant and virtually every DT back up we have provides a solid alternative. 

Honestly, I do not consider this a hot take, just a common sense consideration when you take actual play into account not aspirations or hopes.

I agree if you’re talking about after this season as opposed to extending him. I wouldn’t want to trade him this year unless it’s for a plus starter on o line or safety. I’ll add to your argument in that he didn’t play 60% of snaps last year. 

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Yes you can restructure guys and open cap room.  That was never in question.  Whats in question is whether opening that cap room to pay a bunch of stars while the rest of your team suffers with Bobby Harts all over the roster is the smart thing to do.  Couple that with down the road having a bunch of aging guys that cant play anymore on contracts that you cant get rid of because of dead cap.  It isn't smart.

This team is good because it was built intelligently.  It has stars in key areas then really good players in other and then role players.  Its has some holes. All teams have holes.  This is because the cap really does exist as much as people like you want to deny that.  This team is going to be good for a long time because the cap and its players are managed well.  They dont pick up the shiney expensive player every time one pops up.  They pick one up when it makes sense to pick one up.

This team is going to need to restructure just to field a roster and keep guys we already have.  Spending that restructure on players like a running back isnt the way to go.

I agree with everything you said, but the fact is how and when you restructure contracts is part of cap management and Bean seems to be very very good at it. I was being a bit facetious when I stated the cap was a myth but it’s not nearly the hard stop many act like. You aren’t considering the fact that the cap is going to go up as well every year. I’ve seen predictions from 12-30 a year as the TV and gambling money comes in. You can bet the teams have a much better idea of just how much the cap will raise each year and what the future will look like.

Edited by RunTheBall

7 hours ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

What exactly would you do in a heartbeat? The Panthers just rejected an offer of two 1st rounders for Burns.

Trade 2 1sts for Burns regardless of whether or not they accept the trade.  Guy is a game changer, which is why they said no to whoever offered the 2 #1’s.  

Edited by TheWeatherMan

34 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I agree with everything you said, but the fact is how and when you restructure contracts is part of cap management and Bean seems to be very very good at it. I was being a bit facetious when I stated the cap was a myth but it’s not nearly the hard stop many act like. You aren’t considering the fact that the cap is going to go up as well every year. I’ve seen predictions from 12-30 a year as the TV and gambling money comes in. You can bet the teams have a much better idea of just how much the cap will raise each year and what the future will look like.

Of course.  I dont disagree with that.  The argument all stems from someone pissed off over not getting McCaffrey though and wants to spend picks on a high dollar pass rusher when we already invest heavily in our D line rotation.  That stuff is what isnt smart.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.