Miami home field sun advantage and why this is wrong on so many levels

oldschoolfootball1963

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I love my team and wanted to see them win yesterday but on this topic alone Ill say this...The Bills are a billion dollar organization, if they couldnt come up with a plan to prevent a known issue than its on them not the Dolphins.  

We held the ball for 40 minutes, twice as long as the Dolphins.  We had long sustained drives...one was 20 play drive.  After the drives, they go back and sit in the sun to continue to bake.  Did you notice it was all offensive players with heat exhaustion?

1 minute ago, Southern_Bills said:

I agree,  but you can't preach player safety and turn around and let this go on.

Player safety was disregarded yesterday.

It will change when someone eventually dies of heat stroke.  That's what's really unfortunate about this situation.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

I was sitting behind the bills bench and my wife and I were both feeling effects of the heat, so much so that I started feeling sick. We spent the entire third quarter on the concourse where they have giant fans. We went back at the start of the fourth and by the end of the game I nearly passed out and went down to a knee. I must of drank 5 bottles of water just to survive. I can't imagine how athletes doing cardio in direct sunlight feel with 30 pounds of equipment. And don't say they are athletes they are used to it. The human body can't and shouldn't be in that. They need to start moving dolphins September games to either night or after 430pm starts. You could of had a dead football player yesterday. This isn't the same as playing in the winter in buffalo. The winter in buffalo you're heating up your body by playing football in a cold environment and can bundle up with warm clothes. You can't do anything in Miami.  The NFL seriously needs to look into this....

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5

I agree, the NFL has had players die of heat related complications in training camp relatively recently (Korey Stringer in 2001).

And no matter how badly you want a roster spot, playing in a game is more physically demanding than practice.

The heat was literally making players sick, I wasn’t able to find anything where a freezing cold game did anything similar.

We lost based on the rule of the land, but in my 30 years of watching football I can never remember a game like that where players were dropping out with heat. If the temperature is going to be that high, postpone the game to later in the day or another date like you would with a lightning delay.

• Like (+1) 3

It is the only truly one sided, intentional weather related advantage in the league (that I can think of). 

It's messed up. 

People say the Bills have an advantage playing in the cold.....LOL. Both teams are playing in the exact same conditions. 

Having to endure the sun on just one sideline the entire game is nasty. And definitely unfair. 

I'm just pissed we outgained them by a million and ran out of gas because of it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, SCBills said:

It is what it is, and it’s not going to change, but people literally die from heat stroke.  

Southern high schools and colleges have protocols in place to deal with the heat.  To have a stadium designed to amplify the heat on the opponent is pretty wild.

Apparently it’s going to take an Offensive Lineman passing out on the field and being taken to the hospital in an ambulance to have the NFL being called by fans/media to step in.  God forbid someone dies on the field. 

How soon we forget Korey Stringer.

His family created a sports science center at my alma mater UConn after he died of exertional heat stroke in 2001 after a Vikings training camp practice where the heat index was 99*  (and reached 110* that day).

How the league can continue to schedule mid-day games in Miami & Tampa (tho, yesterday’s game there had a 4:30 start) in the early part of the season just takes a poop on the notion that they care about player safety. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I’m not going to blame the sun for the loss because we had a chance right until the clock hit 0 to win that game. It was, however, startling to see so many players down on the field because of the heat.

I understand competitive advantage when it comes to the construction of the stadium but as we continue to have longer, hotter summers this is only going to get worse. NFL needs to step in at some point and delay games due to extreme heat and maybe even extreme cold by extension… Or adjust the scheduling accordingly - it goes back to their selling point of being focused on player safety.

Edited by CoffeeDrip

8 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I will say living in Florida myself this is a big disadvantage.  The Bills should have figured out something to counteract that sun

What could they figure out, if they put up Canopy’s it would of blocked the vision of fans in the front row. So it probably wasn’t even allowed

1 hour ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

Is this correct?  I'm sure I saw cooling fans on the Bills' sideline and the broadcast team specifically mentioned that the Bills flew in their own cooling benches for the game...

The visiting team is only allowed to use what the home team is using. So if the Dolphins don’t use cooling benches, the Bills cannot use them. Doesn’t matter if they flew them in. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Not surprised if the Dolphins organization encourages 1pm games early in the year, knowing that they have this advantage. 

In Buffalo, BOTH teams suffer in the cold. In Miami, only 1 has to deal with heat exhaustion. 

How could you watch the game yesterday and not see that? When have you ever seen so many injuries and unexplainable blunders by 1 team? Have people put 2 and 2 together yet? I'll give some of the posters here a minute. .

Jacksonville and Tampa stadiums do not provide this type of advantage. There’s no roof and so the stadium is not shaded except for some fans. 

This type of advantage is only happening in only 1 NFL stadium. 

Heat wipes out energy. Look at Josh’s miss in the end zone. Short pass. 

When people park in Miami, the first spots taken are the ones with shade, not the closest to the store. Think about that. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.