Justin Herbert - fractured rib cartilage, day to day

YoloinOhio

This happened to me from doing chin ups lol

The pain is relatively mild but once every 20 minutes or so you feel like you're having a heart attack for a minute or two. When I first had symptoms I called 911. They rushed me to the hospital and boy was I relieved when I found out it was just fractured cartilage. Took about a month of rest for it to go away.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, 716er said:

This happened to me from doing chin ups lol

The pain is relatively mild but once every 20 minutes or so you feel like you're having a heart attack for a minute or two. When I first had symptoms I called 911. They rushed me to the hospital and boy was I relieved when I found out it was just fractured cartilage. Took about a month of rest for it to go away.

And I’ll bet your month of rest didn’t include getting hit by 300lb giants…or bears, or dolphins or whatever.

• Haha (+1) 3

The hit where it happened didn't look like much of a damaging impact. I think it happened when he landed on the ground. The defender's helmet hit first and Herbert landed on top of the helmet on the side where his ribs were injured.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

That's not good...he is gonna have to play through some pain...hopefully their doc doesn't puncture his lung when giving pregame painkillers...wouldn't that be a twist of fate...

The way he got the job is the same way his backup ends up being forced to play a few games

16 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

How do you fracture cartilage?

That makes no sense to me and I am a doctor (albeit a doctor of the healing martial arts). 

limping ralph macchio GIF

Probably the same way you can fracture your nose which is also cartilage?

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That's not good...he is gonna have to play through some pain...hopefully their doc doesn't puncture his lung when giving pregame painkillers...wouldn't that be a twist of fate...

The way he got the job is the same way his backup ends up being forced to play a few games

Or there is something else at play here...

The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not something he will recover from in a hurry. 

A search reveals that main treatments are rest, pain killers, anti-inflammation, and avoiding strenuous activities like sports.

while it wasn’t his throwing side, it’s still going to have an effect, as you still use some rotation in the act of throwing.

I think he’s going to have to play a majority of the season with it, and pain, as he’s almost certainly going to take more hits along the way, and I don’t suppose even small ones will help any recovery. 

2 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Not something he will recover from in a hurry. 

A search reveals that main treatments are rest, pain killers, anti-inflammation, and avoiding strenuous activities like sports.

while it wasn’t his throwing side, it’s still going to have an effect, as you still use some rotation in the act of throwing.

I think he’s going to have to play a majority of the season with it, and pain, as he’s almost certainly going to take more hits along the way, and I don’t suppose even small ones will help any recovery. 

It’s almost like Fitzy was the backup or something……

• Haha (+1) 3

I feel bad for the kid.  This is one of those injuries that may not properly heal until the offseason, but he'll play through it and production could suffer.

While they are competition, I like this new wave of young qb's like Herbert and Burrow.  Should make for a fun upcoming decade.  Can't wait to see their contracts

• Sad 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.